PDA

View Full Version : Front bearing or CV Joint?

JTodd
03-09-2005, 05:24
I recently replaced the front, driver's side wheel hub. All was fine for a couple months, running very quiet and vibration free.

Over the last 4 or 5 days I have developed a worsening noise that I cannot trace. It is a grinding / thumping (actually, I feel / hear a muffled 'dump, dump, dump') from somewhere in front. Comes on around 45mph and increases in tempo with speed. It lessens to goes away when turning to the right and increases slightly to the left. It is much different from the noise before hub replacement, but is reminiscent of bearing problems I have had on other cars.

I pulled both front wheels for inspection, but was not able to pick up anything noticeable. The question is: Based on this information does it sound like I am losing another hub, the same hub or might it be a CV joint?

I am stumped, but I don't think for long, because it seems to be getting worse quickly and I would like to fix whatever it is before it is to late.

Thanks for your help.

JTodd
03-09-2005, 10:03
Update: Re-torqued the axle nut and the problem is considerably better. How much damage was done to the hub as a result?