PDA

View Full Version : Gas Gauge Stuck on Full

Lt .59
05-05-2004, 17:14
Out of the clear blue sky (I mean polluted brown sky) our gas gauge started showing "full" when in fact it's half empty. Would like some thoughts before I take her to the dealer. Thanks.
- DW

2001 Chev Dmax/Allison

DMAX4LIFE
05-05-2004, 18:10
Don't you wish that it was true, that your tank never emptied. Sounds like the sending unit in the tank is meesed up..that or the cluster, but that's easy to check with the tech 2.

Lt .59
05-05-2004, 21:06
Hey dmax4life,

You got that right. It would be awesome if she was in fact full. Especially the way prices are right now. Thanks for the information. I thought perhaps it might be the sender. Thanks again.

- DW

DmaxMaverick
05-05-2004, 21:47
Lt.

If you know someone with a Predator programmer, you can use it to check the output from the tank sender. It gives values in %, so it won't be consistent with the gage even when it works, but it will tell you if the tank sender is indicating full or not full.

The Predator does "marry" to the vehicle it is programmed to, but the real time data can be read on a vehicle that the programmer is not married to. Kinda surprised me to find that out. I'll be driving through Visalia late tomorrow if you want to give it a try. I won't have my truck with me, but I can toss the Predator in the car.

This is a warranty issue, so it'll probably end up at the dealer, anyway.

Just curious. Which dealer have/do you use? Giant? Giant is the only dealer around that I've heard no reports on, good or bad. Stay away from Merle Stone if you can help it!

Lt .59
05-06-2004, 20:07
Hey Dmaxmaverick,
Thanks very much for the offer. I sure do appreciate it. I'm going to be at the dealer first thing in the am. She's under warranty, so might as well make have 'em check it out. Anytime your in town and you got time, give me a yell and we can shoot the breeze. Thanks very much again.
- Dave W.
dwl59@aol.com

Commuter Cop
05-07-2004, 11:39
Your problem might be in the instrument cluster. The dealer will be putting in my third (on my 7 1/2 month old truck) on Tuesday, I hope? I had false readings on the tach, tripometer that didn't work and now 100 psi oil pressure at idle and 120 psi at 2000 rpms. :mad: