PDA

View Full Version : Headlight question

Barc
10-27-2003, 14:57
Can anyone tell me how to have my truck idle WITHOUT the headlights on while it is dark out?? I am Canadian and therefore have the daytime running lights which work fine - my headlight switch will not turn to the O position on the dash. With my 2001 I used to be able to push the e-brake in while truck was in park (and running) and the headlights would go off - not so with the 2003. Any ideas???? Thanks

I'll update my profile too!! :D

andrewfessler
10-27-2003, 19:37
On my other truck, I simply hit the dome override button three times, all exterior lights, including DRL would go off. There would be a chime from under the dash if it was successful.

TxDoc
10-27-2003, 20:19
If the switch is not turning to the "O" position, on the 2003, something is wrong. Warranty repair.

What happens when you try to turn it to "O"? Does it simply hit resistance? When I turn them off, they stay off, until I turn it back to auto or to on.

Barc
10-27-2003, 21:08
Thanks for the replies guys - I think the Canadian trucks are different - I did do a search and read about the dome override trick but it doesn't work on the Canadian trucks. I'm guessing it's the same deal with the switch - there is resistance there and it automatically moves back up to the AUTO position. I was thinking that American truck may have a different switch but an American dealer I talked to assured me that all the switches for Canada, the U.S. and Mexico are the same but I'm starting to think that isn't true. Where can I get an American switch that will turn to the "off" position??

Thanks again!! :cool:

Diesels Forever
10-28-2003, 08:48
On my 03 GMC when the truck is running I simply turn the switch to the left and after it returns, the lights are off. The switch will not stay turned all the way counter-clockwise( on th "O"). It comes back to the auto setting but the lights are off, until I restart then I have to do it again.

Hope this helps :confused:

JimWilson
10-28-2003, 12:21
Because of different regulations the Canadian trucks ARE different in this regard.

Have you tried putting on your parking brake? When my brake is engaged the auto-headlights don't turn on, but as soon as I release the brake they go on.

letsgo
10-28-2003, 16:27
Dome light trick doesnt work up here. If you put your parking brake on, with the key in the off position then start your truck, all lights will remain off , until the parking brake is disengaged.

good luck

Barc
10-29-2003, 09:06
Thanks again for the replies guys - the emergency brake trick does not work with my truck - service department says it should, GM tech line says it should and have started a file on me (they assure me they will call me back - I'm skeptical) I have tried everything but the second that key moves to the start position the headlights come on - I'm starting to wonder if my cell phone/amp/sub installs had something to do with it?? I had NO problems with this on my 99 and 00 Z71's and NO problems with this on my 01 Duramax and they had the identical cell phon e and stereo installs so I'm not sure that has anything to do with it either?!!? I'm stumped!!! :mad: :mad:

Barc
10-31-2003, 13:49
I got a call back from the GM people - word from them is that there is NO WAY my 03 GMC Duramax/Allison truck can idle WITHOUT the headlights being on when it is dark outside?!?! I voiced my displeasure with the lady from GM (even though I realize it is not her fault). My question now is - American trucks have the ability to kill their lights by one of two different methods - the dome override trick or the e-brake trick. What do I need to do to "trick" my truck into believing it is American?? There has got to be a way to re-program one of the modules?!? Any help is appreciated!!!!! Thanks Barc aka PI$$ed OFF IN CANADA :mad: :mad:

battmain
10-31-2003, 15:35
The fix was posted somewhere. It included removing a tab from inside the switch which prevented it from moving to the off position. If you're feeling handy, may want to take the switch out an look at it. Another idea might be to get a US VIN number for a truck of similar year and order the headlight switch for it.

chrisinkanata
11-02-2003, 07:24
'02 and '03's must be different in Canada. If I apply the e-brake prior to starting my '02 truck, the lights won't come on until I take the brake off. I do this in the winter all the time to get all the power to my glow plugs instead of the lights when it's dark. However, apply the e-brake with the engine running, nothing happens. Only with the engine off does it work. Exactly the samething as on my company car, an '03 Malibu.

Chris

letsgo
11-03-2003, 13:48
To add a little hummor, stick a flashlight on the dash and shine it at the light sensor on the dash.

good luck

Barc
11-03-2003, 13:57
That does work, letgo - I tried it!! The truck thinks it's light out and when the truck is in park the DRL go out!! I have one of my tech/electrical wizard friends trying to work something out for me - all I want is a switch mounted somewhere that I can hit when the truck is idling!! Why did "the General" make changes from the 01's to the 03's?? BAD move if you ask me!! Anyone from GM out there, lurking around on this forum?? I did send an email to kennedy too but haven't got a respose yet!!

Thanks again for your replies - this place is a never-ending source of entertainment and information!!

letsgo
11-04-2003, 10:57
If you do a search, somewhere in the forum there is an artical giving the resistor value that can be inserted in the electric eye circuit that you could switch in and out of the said circuit, allowing you to accomplish your mission with the aid of a two pole double throw toggle switch.

good luck