PDA

View Full Version : Dealer deny's future warranty work & tailgate cables

cowboywildbill
05-06-2004, 08:13
See the post on Tail gate cable recall. I didn't think they could do this! :mad:

oyazi
05-06-2004, 08:49
Well, since it is his business establishment, suppose he can do as he pleases ~ Kind of nice to hear that the survey cards are taken seriously. I kinda figured no one paid any attn to them. Sounds like a severe response to a simple survey :confused: ~ hmm, just how bad were your comments? Did you give them the finger? :D Whats the rest of the story smile.gif

chuntag95
05-07-2004, 07:02
I'd report them to GM myself. Since they are mad already and you are already having to go somewhere else, you might as well put another nail in. Sounds like they deserve whatever you said and more. Talk about not learning your lesson the first time.

cowboywildbill
05-07-2004, 08:26
Long story short, I took truck in for a vibration around 65 mph@ 8,500 miles. They kept it a week. They said they hooked it up to a machine to isolate the problem. I found out the truck didn't go on any machine. It sat in the lot for a week. Then the manager said it was a tire balance and rotation problem.Second week. Then they said it was an out of round tire and wheel. they replaced a tire and wheel. They destroyed one of my factory beauty rings in the process, they said they ordered it but I never recieved it. They balanced the tires and rotated them.I paid for the rotation and balance job. I got in the the truck and didn't even get an 1/8 mile away from the dealer and at @ 35 mph the truck was jumping and the steering wheel jumping side to side. I turned around and went back to the dealer. I got the service manager and told him what was wrong, he took me for a (road test)and the service manager drove my truck. The truck jumped all over the road, the steering wheel shook back and forth really bad. The truck was much worse than when I took it in. The service manager said that is was much worse, but that it was a truck and that I had to expect that. I diagreed with him. I took the truck home and checked all of the air pressures, not one tire out of six was within 20 lbs of another. They also mounted the left side rear dual's with the slots not lined up. I couldn't check the air on pressure on them. I removed the outer wheel and lined up the slots. I adjusted the air pressure in all of the tires. I called the service manager to tell him what I found, he said that they were busy that day and maybe the mechanic was rushed. I stopped by another 5 times to try and get the truck looked at again, they wouldn't look at it. They said live with it. I couldn't even drive it over 50 mph. I went to Mr tire, they put on six new tires and the truck was silky smooth at any speed. I asked them what was wrong with my factory wranglers, and they said nothing was wrong with the tires or wheels. They said they put two of them on the balance machine just to see how the balance was and if they were out of round. They discovered that all of the tires were balanced 180 degrees wrong. In other words the dealer had put the weights on the wrong side of all of the wheels. No wonder it jumped around. When I went back to the dealer, they said I should have gone to a tire shop first any way. I asked for a refund, they said no, and they didn't have time to deal with me and that no one is perfect. I got the survey form in the mail from GM, I filled it out and gave them the same story that I wrote here. I emailed GM, no response except they would look into my problem. After no further response I called GM and they acted like they would help me out I talked to some factory customer rep, then no response. I called two or three more times weeks went by and nothing! I could have saved myself some money on tires if I had have known what the problem was. I put the old tires on one of my trailers, so it wasn't a total loss. I didn't find out until later when I went to the dealer how mad they were. My wife found out also about two months later when she went in with her car for warranty work also. And that as they say is the rest of the story! I am sad that GM didn't follow through. I guess I learned a lesson. When I needed a NSBU, I just bought one myself from an allison dealer and installed it myself. I used to spin wrenches for a living, and was a front end tech also. So I expect some competence from the dealer, but that isn't always the case. I think what put the frosting on the cake was when they wouldn't work on my wifes car either because of the same issue. Go figure! But I guess I'll have to go to a different dealer next time, I don't think I want Ideal to work on anything I have anyway! The sad thing is we bought two new cars from them prior to the poor service.

[ 05-07-2004, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Cowboy Wild Bill ]

JimWilson
05-07-2004, 11:37
With that kind of BS response I'd be riding GM until they filed some kind of official complaint against the dealer. I'd also consider contacting the BBB. That's total garbage.

Buck
05-07-2004, 13:25
I totally agree with JimWilson ;) That's the worst story I've heard in a looong time :( I hope GM pulls the plug on that dealership :cool:

carco
05-07-2004, 16:50
Sad story, sad, disapointing, poor dealer. My shop fixes them right! yes we have bad days but we never treat a customer the this dealer did! We have fired about 4 customers over 18 years but only after repairing the vehicle correctly and to the customers satisfaction. Find a good dealer or better yet a good independent shop let them do their work, ask questions to improve your knowledge, not to distrust the shop if a person wants to learn, to know how and why I'll talk all day, and then you'll have a good productive relationship. Something near 80% of vehicles do not go back to the dealer after the warranty period is over! bob....

Aluminator
05-07-2004, 17:07
Hey Wild Bill,

It sounds like you need another dealer!! There was a day that GM did care along with a lot of other retailers but I also wonder where it all went. My 01 and 04 anr both still in the shop getting "fixed" but I have a good dealer and they are working as hard as GM lets them. I am at or around 46 days that my 04 has been getting made new and GM is still paying the rental and the dealers bills. Like you I have had 7 new GM's in the past 5 years and am ready to pull the plug!!!

Dennis

cowboywildbill
05-07-2004, 20:03
Thanks for the reply's everyone. We have a great dealer in our area, they are "Fitagerald's" Auto Mall, selling Chevy/Dodge/VW. I can now use them with my aftermarket extended warranty for anything other than engine issues,the engine is still under the 100,000 factory warranty. I used Fitzgeralds a lot when we had our Dodge cummins, they put six automatics in it under the extended warranty and they were always great to me and did great service. There is another GMC dealer about 30 miles away , Sharrett GMC, and I think they might be OK. If I have any engine issues I'll give them a try, but I hope I won't have any engine problems. I had a bad experiance with a Sears auto center last week, when the tire tech ripped my wheel simulators and factory center cap off with a hubcap pry tool, bending my simulator. But Sears refunded me the cost of new simulators and the plastic lugs for the caps, So at least they made it right, and because of that, I will probably buy my tires from them again. I know of one Car & truck Dealership that I won't ever buy from again, can you guess who that is? I thought you could! Drive Safe. I didn't say Drive slow, just Safe! :D

JimWilson
05-11-2004, 07:40
Originally posted by carco:
We have fired about 4 customers over 18 years "Fired" a customer?? How's that?

oyazi
05-12-2004, 22:41
My take on this is that they were doing you a FAVOR by refusing service. They deserve what they get ~ and no doubt in time, get what they deserve in full. You deserve better. Make our free enterprise/capitalism work ~ take your business to a competitor ~ Your truck will love you. Good luck

cowboywildbill
05-13-2004, 15:40
I think I will have to go to another dealer, all my automatic door locks quit working, except for the drivers door.