PDA

View Full Version : The sound of a lift pump

Keith Winston
02-07-2006, 23:15
I am working on my 98 G3500 van. I had a lift pump problem, electrical, I think it's fixed but not back together yet. When I run the lift pump dry, it sort of "putts" almost like a little internal compustion engine: for some reason I expected it just to whir. First thing tomorrow I'm going to do a pump speed test, but meanwhile, is that about the right sound?

Also: is there any easy way to tell if your lift pump has stopped working when you're driving? Like a pressure-in sensor on the injection pump?

Thanks!

Keith

jbplock
02-08-2006, 01:25
Kieth,

The lift pump sound you describe sounds normal. I used to own a 98 K3500 6.5TD and if I remember correctly there was a fuel filter drain valve in the front center of the engine. Turn on ignition with transmission in Drive (don

Black95TD
02-08-2006, 04:13
Its probably not a good idea to run it dry. I took one apart to see what was inside. There is a plunger or piston that travels back and forth in a cylinder. Without fuel to lubricate, it might damage the parts.

Keith Winston
02-08-2006, 08:17
Thanks folks. I wasn't running it dry, except for a few seconds to see if it was working. I hadn't realized there was a difference between my 3500 and the 3500HD's of this topic group. I'm still learning the basics!

Keith