PDA

View Full Version : Removing the exhaust

zip
10-28-2003, 14:58
Need help- I know there's a way-- I can't get my oem exhaust over the axle. Tried to turn it but it's not going.Am tryin to install JK 4" exhaust tonight.
Thanks all.
zip (pooped from tryin) :D

zip
10-28-2003, 15:50
Got it. Removed the spare and jacked up the R/H side of the truck. After lots of wiggling it came out.
zip (blow by blow guy)
wait a minute- I'm not too sure i should put it that way :(
By the way. The clock is off on Jim's website. It's 5:55 PM here in Tenn. Yeah yeah big deal.

DalDMax
10-28-2003, 16:43
Did you pull it out of the back or did you go toward the front of the truck with the exhaust pipe?

When I did mine, I got the thing loose, then went forward and off to the pass side of the truck. Didn't have any problems doing it this way.

zip
10-28-2003, 21:21
OOps I meant to say "tailpipe" anyway, yes I took it forward like all the other experts.
One thing is bothering me tho- when I installed the new system and tightened everything up, The #3 band clamp didn't get tight enough and I can rotate the tailpipe. Boy, after spending all night under the truck THAT was something I really needed! I had to trim 5" off the intermediate pipe and 3 1/4" off the tailpipe.That's a BIG ole muffler!
zip

DalDMax
10-29-2003, 06:13
Interesting. I installed the JK 4" system several months ago and didn't have to trim anything.

Are you talking about the hanger clamp, or the band clamp that hold the pipe together?
NAPA sells the flat wide stainless steel clamps.

zip
10-29-2003, 10:11
It's loose at the band clamp on the outlet of the muffler. I'll check NAPA for another one.
All 3 hangar clamps tightened up pretty good
zip

DalDMax
10-29-2003, 18:33
NAPA part # 733-5976 is for the 4" exhaust clamp.

zip
10-31-2003, 12:11
Well. After turning the band clamps around like they're supposed to be, they tightened up perfectly. Talk about duh. I did manage to break one so I went to NAPA and got another. I like that brand- you can't help but install it the right way.I guess even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then, huh?
The Kennedy system is louder- like most guys say.
there's a noticeable drone at 48-55 mph.All in all tho- it sure is a nice exhaust. I'm glad I upgraded.
zip