MODEL : SILVERADO
NHTSA Action Number : PE03049 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
Make : CHEVROLET Model: SILVERADO
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Year : 2002
Component : LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES:TAILGATE:LATCH
Date Investigation Opened : October 23, 2003
Date Investigation Closed : Open
Summary:
SINCE JANUARY 2002 ODI HAS RECEIVED 16 REPORTS IN WHICH CONSUMERS HAVE REPORTED THAT THE TAILGATE HAD DROPPED UNEXPECTEDLY AFTER ONE OR BOTH OF THE TAILGATE SUPPORT CABLES HAD BROKEN. FIVE OF THESE REPORTED INCIDENTS RESULTED IN PERSONAL INJURIES. IN TWO OF THE REPORTED INJURY INCIDENTS, A CONSUMER HAD BEEN STANDING OR SITTING ON THE TAILGATE AND WAS DROPPED TO THE GROUND, CAUSING INJURY. IN TWO OTHER REPORTED INJURY INCIDENTS, CONSUMERS HAD BEEN LOADING THE VEHICLE USING A RAMP WHEN THE TAILGATE SUPPORT CABLE BROKE, DROPPING BOTH THE CONSUMER AND CARGO TO THE GROUND. ONE OF THE CONSUMERS WAS INJURED BY THE FALL; THE OTHER CONSUMER WAS INJURED BY THE FALLING CARGO. ODI WILL COMMENCE AN INVESTIGATION TO DETERMINE THE SCOPE AND SEVERITY OF THIS PROBLEM.
---------------------------------

thanks to pjb0422 @GM-Trucks.com

In the 10/28/2003 edition of the STL Post-Dispatch:

General Motors faces probe, recall of pickups

10/28/2003

General Motors Corp. faces a safety investigation and potential recall of 2 million of its 1999 to 2002 Chevrolet Silverado pickups, the automaker's biggest-selling vehicle, because of tailgate cable failures.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it received 16 complaints, including five injuries, that cables holding the tailgate in place broke. The injuries occurred when a person was standing or sitting on the tailgate or when cables failed during cargo loading, the agency said on its Web site.
=================================

Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Feds' inquiry targets Chevrolet Silverado

Defect investigation focuses on tailgate cables of truck

By Jeff Plungis / Detroit News Washington Bureau

Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery

WASHINGTON -- The federal government launched a preliminary safety investigation which could lead to the recall of more than 2 million Chevy Silverado pickups.

The defect investigation, announced Monday by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, will look at the cables on the tailgates of 1999-2002 model years of the General Motors truck.

The Silverado is GM's best-selling vehicles. In 2002, GM sold 653,000 of the full-size pickups.

NHTSA has received 16 complaints about the tailgates, including five injuries. Customers told NHTSA that the tailgates can drop unexpectedly after one or both support cables snap. In two cases, consumers had been dropped to the ground while sitting on the tailgate. In two other cases, the tailgate collapsed while customers were loading the truck. One truck owner was injured by falling cargo.

GM spokesman Bill Kemp said the company would cooperate with the NHTSA investigation. GM began its own investigation after being contacted by NHTSA, Kemp said.

In the early phase of a NHTSA defect investigation, known as a preliminary evaluation, the agency typically asks an automaker to forward all known information regarding complaints, injuries and deaths tied to a piece of equipment. NHTSA also does its own testing.

If NHTSA deems the problem serious enough, the agency next conducts an "engineering analysis," which can take a year or more to complete. Automakers often opt to begin a voluntary recall before the formal investigation runs its course.

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0310/28/b08-309417.htm

[ 10-28-2003, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: TxDoc ]

CPMac632
10-29-2003, 05:59
Both the cables on my 01 broke monday night. Now I've got a ball inprint in my tailgate.

andrewfessler
10-29-2003, 06:40
I wonder if since there is the recall, they would be responsible for any damage that occurs do to the faulty cables.

Prolly would depend on if your truck is under warranty and if the dealer feels like fighting it or not.

I'd call GM and make a stink about it if not.

TxDoc
10-29-2003, 06:48
There is not a recall, yet. It is an investigation. But, you can go to http://www.nhtsa.gov and file a complaint.

On the http://service.gm.com/techlink/html_en/index.html site, there was mention of bad cables on one vehicle and it is funny that they had a note saying replace the broken one and not both.

JimWilson
10-29-2003, 09:06
And if you're cables have broken you really SHOULD file that complaint, especially if you've suffered damage to yourself or your truck. The more complaints they get the more likely the government is to do something.

OC_DMAX
10-29-2003, 10:30
GM began its own investigation after being contacted by NHTSA

Hey, all they have to do is read through this forum. People have been complaining about this for over a year.

xwing
10-30-2003, 19:40
I wish they'd make GM redesign the UNSAFE POWERSTEERING/BRAKE PUMP with the shaft that necks down so much it SNAPS if you lay on the brakes too hard, like mine did.

IMHO this pumpshaft snapping should never be REMOTELY possible on CRITICAL saftey features like "BRAKING" and "STEERING" for these 3 ton plus vehicles, especially rated for over ~15,000 lbs ADDITIONAL TRAILER weight!!!

Buck
10-31-2003, 09:06
and I had my sportsman's back wheels on the tailgate while traveling the backroads of Wyoming 2 weeks ago :eek: glad they held another reason to get the long box ;) .

SPICER
10-31-2003, 09:17
What about the '03 trucks. Are these the same cables? My truck has a camper shell. Most trucks that have cable failures say that the cable rusted. Did anyone have a camper shell and a failure? The shell may keep water and salt off the cables. Any '03 failures? SPICER