PDA

View Full Version : Home heating oil?

skidsteer loader
10-30-2003, 07:34
We run home heating oil(the red stuff) in all our heavy equipment.(cheaper) Machines run great on it, some of them have the same high pressures as the Dmax. Fuel seems to have more lubricity also.Aside from it being Illegal to run in a vehicle, has anyone used it extensivly? Will it void warranty? Out here this fuel seems to be of better quality than pump diesel.

Idle_Chatter
10-30-2003, 08:08
It's pretty non-standard all over the place, skidsteer. Actual "home heating oil" is supposed to be #4. However, a lot of it is #2 diesel. Not only is it often #2, but it's also #2 taken right out of the same pipeline/storage tank as pump diesel and the color dye added. There are very few limits and requirements applied to off-road and heating oil, so it swings all over the map. Road diesel has standards applied as well as taxes.

Jelisfc
10-30-2003, 10:50
Never ran it in a Dmax but I hauled fuel in '93 and that's all my company used in their fleet until the mandate to low sulpher in late '93.

tysmith
10-30-2003, 16:59
I had a customer that burned clear diesel in his oil-fired boiler, and the nozzle did not varnish. Almost ALL nozzles burning #2 heating fuel varnish - there are exceptions. I question the dye...

Ty

JimWilson
10-31-2003, 07:23
You know what else home heating oil is? The stuff you leave at the local quick lube. The used oil from all those places is sold to a conditioner, who cleans it up and then resells it as heating oil.

Lone Eagle
10-31-2003, 17:08
I doubt it is #2 diesel or it would be jelled up in all above ground tanks. Later! Frank

chrisinkanata
11-01-2003, 06:31
Some time ago I worked in northern Ontario. My wife ran the local Bulk Fuel plant that supplied lubes and fuels to mines, forestry companies and the 200 or so homes in town. We also supplied fuel to the loacl pilots (Av gas & Turbo B for the helicopters). We had four bulk tanks.....three for light fuels (gas, av gas etc) and one for heavy. What we got was clear diesel for that. We dyed it ourselves and sold it as home heating oil, coloured diesel for equipment. The clear would go to the on road vehicles. It all came out of one tank. We could have had two different diesels but with the extreme temperatures up there and our space limitations, that did not work. Never did we have an issue with any of this (except of course the time I filled a guys basement with 300 litres of coloured fuel for his furnace. He had a tank in his basement and had switched to wood from oil over the summer, disconnected the tank and never bothered to call us to discontinue his deliveries - man, was he upset that he forgot to call)
Anyway, it was all one product for which we charged different prices.

Chris

k1xv
11-04-2003, 04:47
At my former home in NJ I used to purchase heating oil on-line from a discount supplier. The delivery ticket often identified the product as off-road #2 diesel fuel.

And in areas where it very infrequently goes below zero in winter, it is not uncommon for "heating oil" in above ground tanks to suffer gelling in the fuel lines.

Doug O
11-11-2003, 17:16
Back when I was much younger we had a fuel oil fired boiler at home. It was not uncommon for the line to gell when it got really cold. Also the hospital I used to work at a couple of life times ago as a maintence worker ran #2 for our alternative fuel for the boilers as the backup gens used the same fuel tank. The tank was originally designed for bunker oil as it had heaters in in to warm it up so it could pumped.