PDA

View Full Version : '04 Allison

Hog 1340
11-04-2003, 03:40
Hey All
I have an '04 Chevy D/A, and read that it should have the NEW trans. in it. Is this true? And if so what does that mean? Can it handle more HP and Torque, and does it have that drainage thing taken care of? Also would like to go to Juice and was wondering if it can handle without the upgrades?
Thanks Everyone!!! Great Site!!!
Ed

77TransAm
11-04-2003, 05:29
I believe the changes to the Allison will be released along with the LLY engine at the beginning of next year. If you have an LB7 engine, then your Allison should be the same as all other '03 and '04 transmissions.

DinoMax
11-05-2003, 16:35
Hog 1340, if your truck is an '04, it HAS the updated tranny. It is now rated up to 600 ft lbs of torque (up from 520 previously) DinoMax :D :D

77TransAm
11-06-2003, 06:12
I wonder how he got one before they started building them? Modulated main pressure was introduced in June of 2003 for MY 2004 transmissions, but the remainder of the MY04i changes have not gone into production yet.

DinoMax
11-06-2003, 06:37
Ask DmaxAlliTech. He posted on another forum that all '04's had the new, updated tranny. Since he is a GM tech, I assumed he would know for sure. DinoMax :D :D

77TransAm
11-06-2003, 11:26
I guess it's hard to say anyone is wrong, DinoMax. Allison doesn't necessarily hold all changes until model year changeovers. Some improvements have been running changes, like pumps or lube reg valves and springs, others occur with another event. Modulated main, for example, was introduced in summer of '03 of MY '04 production. The upcoming changes to the front support are slated to be introduced at the same time the LLY is rolled out. So to answer the original question more accurately, yes there are some improvements already in production, and there are more to come. I wouldn't call the Allison a "new" trans for any of these changes, though. Since Hog1340 was asking about the drainage changes my answer was accurate in regards to the upcoming front support changes. If you count all changes, though, I was not entirely correct in stating that they haven't yet been released.

DinoMax
11-06-2003, 12:18
77TransAm, when changes are ongoing & in the middle of production runs, it is hard for anybody to keep up. I am nowhere near an expert, was just repeating what I read somewhere else, from a respected source. No autopsy, no foul tongue.gif and certainly no offense taken on my part. I appreciate all the info I read here. BTW, what will change in the Allison when mated to the new motor? Thanks, DinoMax :D :D

77TransAm
11-07-2003, 06:00
I have a hard time keeping, up, too. smile.gif I think there are some front support changes to make the trans easier to assemble reliably and to make the calibrations work better - nothing a driver will notice, just some improvements that Allison felt they needed. By timing the changes with the LLY (which requires a new transmission calibration), they can avoid making more then one cal change.