PDA

View Full Version : Rims...stevem, duman333, DSLPOWR

Silver Bullet
03-14-2002, 22:45
I know many of you are running after market rims with 285's, 295's, and 305's...This is a question for you...I am running 285's on stock rims and I am getting ready to purchase some 16x8 rims. Is 4 5/8" (or 4.5") backspace the way to go? I ask this b/c I have also seen some with a 3.5" backspace. Thanks.

Steve

NutNbutGMC
03-14-2002, 23:03
Another related question, please? Is it possible to use a 17" wheel on these hubs? I drove a Denali Quad steer today which had 17's. Nice, Both the Quad steer and the 17's.

DmaxMaverick
03-14-2002, 23:43
I have 16 x 8's with 285/75/16 tires (11.25" wide x 33" dia.). The wheels have a 4.625 (4-5/8"). Any less/more than 1/2" would, as it appears on my truck, cause problems with rubbing. The 295's, 305's and 315's make it even more critical. I tried a set of 315/70/16 on 16 x 8 wheels and they rubbed at full lock in both directions, at very little compression. My setup rubs very slightly at full lock and full compression. I did turn up the torsion bars 3.5 turns.

As far as using 17" wheels, there should be no issues. I've seen 19.5" wheels and there were no problems. The problems come when you change the backspace, which changes the track width. Too little backspace and the outside corners of the tires will rub the fender well, too little and the wheel will rub the chasis. Any wheel smaller than 16" will not clear the brake components and the control arm.

NutNbutGMC
03-14-2002, 23:45
Thank you, kind Sir.

BDAZMAX
03-15-2002, 00:37
No Mods except a few turns on the torsion bars......http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=683260&uid=503042

kanton1
03-15-2002, 11:59
If you ever plan on lifting the truck the back space will become even more critical. Some of the lifts like RCD have a maximum of 4 1/2" backspace wheel requirement. For Weld wheels 4 5/8" back space works very well. For others like Centerline, 4 1/2" works great. I believe our stock wheels have a backspace in the range of 5 to 5 1/4". Remember the lower amount of backspace, the more the wheel sticks out of the fender well.

Good Luck,
Kyle

stevem
03-15-2002, 15:46
Silver Bullet.
The 285 75 16 tire on a 16x8 wheel with 4.5 backspace is the best choice. It does not stick out too far and it will not rub on the inner liners and airdam. You will have to do a little plastic surgery on the liners and airdam due to some slight rubbing at full steering lock.

I have the polished aluminum Centerlines. If I was to buy wheels again I would get chrome or painted wheels, these wheels are way too much work to keep clean.

Steve.

www.picturetrail.com/stevem

MYDMAX
03-15-2002, 20:05
I am running 17x8 wheels on my truck (Eagle)with 275/70x17 Micky Thompson tires. This is a very good looking combination and drives really well.
The only thing I don't like is the offset (4" back
spacing) because they stick out too much in the front for me. Maybe some folks like this look.
I probably sell this combination later on and purchase the same set with a different offset,
(4 5/8 or 5")but they might have to be custom made.
This setup fills the wheel wells nicely and makes the truck look good. Maybe I send some pictures later.(after I figure out the camera )

Silver Bullet
03-15-2002, 23:16
I went by 4 Wheel Parts in Plano, TX to price rims this afternoon and the guy recommended 5" backspace and said I probably would not need to trim the air dam. They have the rims I am interested in the Dallas store, so he said we can try 'em out to see how they fit and if I don't like 'em he will order the same rim with a 4.5" backspace. Sounds like a no lose situation...time to wait by the mailbox for the tax refund!!!

Thanks for everyone's input!

Steve

DSLPOWR
03-16-2002, 11:15
I believe you want to get as close to 5" as you can, but a 4.5 would be sufficient.

hd welder
03-16-2002, 19:12
im interested in putting a set of custom wheels on my 2500hd. i got iired of polishing wheels a long time ago--- my question, does anyone make a set of chrome steel wheels that look good on this truck? any input is appreciated---thanks hd welder

DaveRuane
03-19-2002, 15:33
Hey SteveM - on those centerline rattlers it looks like you used the stock center hubs - is that right? Do they fit without mod? What should one expect to pay for Centerlines? LOOKS GREAT!

Silver Bullet
03-19-2002, 15:58
DaveRuane,
I believe SteveM is using the stock center caps. I like the look of his rims on the truck and I am leaning towards getting the Rattlers myself. I best price I have found in Dallas is at 4-Wheel Parts and that is $189/ea. with a little haggling. The guy at 4-Wheel Parts did say the stock center cap will fit.

Steve

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

DaveRuane
03-19-2002, 16:36
Yep, I think I'm headed this direction too. Those Centerlines look very similar to the stock, premium rims - I guess I'll have a mint set of 4 to sell soon!

Silver Bullet
03-20-2002, 22:40
Through the wonders of technology, SteveM's rims have appeared on my truck...don't mind the angle of the rear rim as my Photoshop skills are thin!!!

http://www.kevcarart.com/steve/images_misc/steveb_truck_rattlers.jpg

I like it!!!

Steve

SoMnDMAX
03-21-2002, 00:00
Steve's using the stock center caps, and so am I with my Rattlers.

The caps do need some modification. The four standoffs on the backside need to be ground down. Six of the black nuts need to be glued down. A 1/4" bead of RTV silicone on the backside of the cap works quite well. Two of the caps need to have a 1/4" hole drilled in the center for the 1/4-20 mounting screws used to retain the caps. There is a 1/4-20 bolt pattern on the Rattlers that splits the lug nuts, and that's what you use to mount the caps.

I'll get some pictures up to help you guys out..

Silver Bullet
03-21-2002, 08:43
Thanks SoMnDMAX...some pics would be great!

Steve

AVfan
03-21-2002, 14:33
I am using 18" by 8 1/2" with same offset as factory wheels, (AFX Ambush). Tires, 305/60R18 Toyo Proxys. Must do a little trimming and pull back the plastic fenders. It is a little tight but you can make it work without cranking the the suspension up. The Proxys have the correct weight rating for the truck. Now if I could only figure out the correct tire pressure, it looks like it is around 40 psi when empty.

Silver Bullet
03-23-2002, 11:39
I hope to have my rims early next week. I'll post my findings with 5" backspace as soon as I know something.

SoMnDMAX - Any luck with the pics?

Steve

SoMnDMAX
03-23-2002, 14:03
Silver Bullet-

Pics of the modified center caps are located at:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=263694&uid=136857&members=1

Post back if you have any questions...

Silver Bullet
03-23-2002, 15:31
SoMnDMAX - Thanks...the pics and notes help a bunch to understand what needs to be done. I am going to ask a stupid question which the answer may be obvious after I get the new rims...what is preventing the caps from going on the same way they did on the stock wheels?

Steve

[ 03-23-2002: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

SoMnDMAX
03-23-2002, 17:34
The 1/4-20 bolt pattern used to retain the caps splits the pattern for the lugs. Basically, the black plastic caps originally used to retain the center caps is between the lug nuts.

Or, in engineering terms, the center caps are rotated 22.5 degrees from stock. Once you see it, you'll understand exactly what I'm trying to say here... :D

Silver Bullet
03-23-2002, 22:04
For my next stunt, I will cross into idiot territory! smile.gif Here goes...

I understand what you are saying, but I am not sure why that is...you have 8 lugs with 8 lug nuts holding the STOCK wheel on...the center cap is held on by 8 plastic lug nut grabbers...the lug pattern doesn't change with the new rims, so you have 8 lugs (original pattern) with 8 lug nuts holding the NEW wheel on...the center cap is held on by 8 plastic lug nut grabbers. Is there something I have missed?

I am sorry if you are are banging your head on your monitor saying to yourself "Silver Bullet, you should have been removed from the gene pool by natural selection by now!".

I am sure you are right about when I see it, it will all make sense! smile.gif

Steve

SoMnDMAX
03-24-2002, 01:17
No problem, Silver Bullet. No monitor banging here....

The black plastic nuts are no longer used to retain the caps, because the lug nuts sit very deep in the wheels. The Rattlers are about 3/4" thick in the center, whereas the stock PYO wheels are only 3/8 or 1/2" thick. The lug nuts are not long enough to engage the plastic nuts origionally used to retain the center caps.

Does this help?

Silver Bullet
03-24-2002, 14:04
Yes...that was the missing piece I needed for EVERYTHING to make sense. smile.gif Thank you for your replies.

Silver Bullet
04-01-2002, 14:55
I had 'em mount for about 5 minutes! The 5" backspace would be great except the Centerline Rattlers have a small lip on the inside of the rim that rubbed on the caliper. 4 5/8" is the way to go for Centerline Rattlers. NOTE: Keep an eye on your rims and caliper...since the caliper floats it may not rub today, but it could rub after a little brake wear.

It was going to take 4-5 weeks to get a new set of Rattlers in from Centerline, so I decided to go with Weld Outback's which are almost identical to Rattler. They cost a few bucks more and Weld doesn't have the small lip on the inside of the rim according to 4 Wheel Parts. I am also going with a 4 5/8" backspace. I hope to get those mounted in the next week or so.

Silver Bullet
04-04-2002, 21:43
I got the Weld Outback's (4 5/8 backspace) mounted yesterday...they look great! It will be next week before I can work on the center caps...I have a couple spring gobblers waiting for me!!! I also need to tweak my torsion bars a little as the tires rub a little...next week when I have time to get it realigned.

Be aware your lug wrench might not fit! I had to go buy a 22mm socket, 5" extension, and a breaker bar to keep in the truck.

I'll get some pics up as soon as I can.

[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

Silver Bullet
04-09-2002, 21:43
Here is a pic of the new rims minus the center caps...I'll be working on them tomorrow.

http://www.kevcarart.com/steve/images_misc/new_rims.jpg

DSLPOWR
04-10-2002, 00:04
Looks great! Now you got to wash her! :mad:

Silver Bullet
04-12-2002, 12:00
It is done and looks great!!! smile.gif

SoMnDMAX - Thanks for the cap mod directions...you were right, after I got 'em everything made sense.

Thanks for everyone's input!!! :D

http://www.kevcarart.com/steve/images_misc/new_rims&caps.jpg

**I used 5/16-18 (3" long) mounting bolts to retain the caps on the Weld Outbacks. Caps match the rims perfectly. I painted the head of the bolts flat black to blend in the plastic nuts on the caps.