PDA

View Full Version : Engine Coolant Flush / How To?

Lt .59
05-19-2004, 16:54
Howdy,
Can anyone provide information or an information resource that can assist me with changing out my coolant? Sure would appreciate whatever guidance I can get.
Thanks.
- DW
2001 Chev. Silv. 2500 HD Dmax/All

jbplock
05-20-2004, 04:47
DW,

This is the method I have used.

Get the engine up to full operating temp. Carefully drain hot coolant by removing the radiator plug, refill with distilled water ($.55/Gal at Wal-Mart) then purge air. Repeat the drain/refill three times and after the third cycle add approx 11 quarts of Dex-Cool. Purge air again and top off one last time. Per the factory service (Helms) manual, air is purged by cycling the engine to 3000 RPMs several times with the cap off and thermostats open (engine hot). At this point I close the cap and take a ride around the block, then top off one more time if needed. Each time the engine is cycled to 3000 RPMs, the coolant level in the expansion tank drops, then rises as the RPM's fall. When all the air is purged the coolant level in the tank doesn't drop as the RPMs are cycled.

An alternate method for draining is to also remove the plugs on the block and some folks have suggested raising the rear wheels to get more fluid out.

Some of us have also added Coolant Filters (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=8394&highlight=coolant+filter&page=4)

:)