PDA

View Full Version : Allison Fluid Cooler lines - are yours loose?

SDWA
03-15-2002, 22:03
I noticed today while admiring the underneath of the truck that on my transmission housing the both the TO and FROM cooler lines are "loose" in the fittings - they wiggle/pull in and out about 1/8" inch. No apparent gross leaking, but there was a drop of tranny fluid on the bottom of each plastic retainer "safety" ring.

Is everyone's/anyone else's like this? I already had the tranny completely replaced, did they not put them back on right???

Scott

Kennedy
03-15-2002, 22:19
This is normal just like the 6.5 oil cooler lines. They are oring fittings with an "omega" clip holding them in place.

SDWA
03-15-2002, 22:25
Thank you John! If it hadn't been replaced already, I probably wouldn't have worried!

Scott

Kennedy
03-15-2002, 22:40
Mine were "weepy" when new. Oil on the tin plug on the bell too. Now it is all dry!

BMDMAX
03-15-2002, 23:41
Ditto on that JK!

SoMnDMAX
03-17-2002, 01:52
Same here. They seem loose, but they are fine.

I did have to have one of mine replaced @ about 1,000 miles due to a drip. After that, no problems. The fluid you're seeing is from assembly, and will dissipate with time.

gdblake
04-10-2002, 11:04
Brought my new truck home, 2 nights ago. After moving it, my wife noticed a small pink puddle under it. This is my first GM truck and I noticed previously that the antifreeze was pink (Dex-Cool), so I blew it off. Returned to dealer, yesterday, to have 5th wheel hitch switched from my Ford trade. Returned home last night--2 larger puddles of pink fluid. Checked it this time and it was transmission fluid! Called dealer and went back to them for service. DX--loose cooler line. It was tightened, refilled, and undercarriage cleaned. Can't believe 3 trips to the dealer (110 miles-roundtrip, each) in 2 days. Well I guess, I'm getting the break-in mileage taken care of!! Hope this is all the problems I have. Except for this, I love the truck.

Dakota
04-10-2002, 19:11
Mine also began dripping at one of the cooler line fittings with only a few hundred miles on the truck. Dealer ended up replacing the complete line in order to stop the leak. No problem since.

Smorey
04-11-2002, 04:33
Admiring the underneath of the truck?

We are a sick bunch! :D :D :D

Forced Induction
04-11-2002, 05:04
I have the same problem on my truck, and it only has 900 miles on it right now. Just looked under the truck last night and noticed the fitting was moist. I will keep an eye on it since some people have had a drip.
Did I mention how much fun this thing is to drive?? smile.gif I finally understand why so many guys on this forum say they can't get the grin off their faces. I have the same problem!! :D I plan on taking her to the track in the next few weeks to see how she does in stock form, I can't wait.

Jason

gdblake
04-17-2002, 07:37
After the loose cooler line was tightened, another small leak( wet spot around a screw on the bottom of the transmission) next to the filter. They backed it off and wrapped it with teflon tape. No more leaking--but hope this isn't the beginning of a bell housing leak higher up, as mentioned in another post. That leak dripped from this screw.