PDA

View Full Version : windshield replacement

Rockin
06-28-2004, 12:03
I need to replace the windshield on my truck. Any recommendations to make sure it is done right? I have quotes from shops with LOF and PPG glass. The lowest one ($172) says they use LOF glass and 3M adhesives.

2K2AD
06-28-2004, 13:33
Sounds like a deal to me. That is a little less than I paid for my two. The Fourth windshield in my truck has a pretty good chip in it now and I'm sure it won't be long before I do it again.

The guys that did mine knew exactly what to do. IIRC, this is the same piece of glass used in most GM trucks and guys in high volume shops can do it in under an hour.

I wouldn't worry too much, just make sure they get the rubber from the trim pieces on the bottom outsides put back right. They can be a little tricky and rub a bit.

Kevin

Rockin
06-29-2004, 06:37
I got quotes ranging from $172 to $381. Finally figured out the difference. In the '04, they added a blacked out area above the mirror called a third visor. On previous trucks, they just have the tinted top portion of the windshield.

I'll have them install the regular tint at the low price as I am tall enough I often look over the mirror to see out and almost never use visors.

sdaver
06-30-2004, 05:55
paid cash and got mine for $152.00

Michigana_Joe
07-01-2004, 12:13
I had my windshield replaced and asked for the tint band. It also has the black border and black behind the mirror -- very nice upgrade over stock.

I can't believe the big three are so damn cheap they got rid of the tint band! They think that the customer doesn't notice, but they are kidding themselves.

FstTrack
07-01-2004, 16:06
I also had mine replaced for right at 150.00 with ppg glass did a nice job no complaints. huge markup in glass keep checking around. I asked a glass shop in calgary and they did them for 99.00

HawgGuy
07-03-2004, 11:42
My replacement was around $200 and they drove 90 miles to do it in my driveway (I live in the sticks). The replacement is better than the original in that it is quieter. Ever since adding a bugflector I had a ticking noise above 50 mpg from the windshield trim - disappeared after the widshield replacement.