PDA

View Full Version : Idler/Pitman Arms

mdadgar
06-29-2004, 19:55
Mine are dead at 37600 miles. Serviced at the dealer every 5K miles religiously (sometimes a bit sooner). The farthest offroad this truck has ever been is a couple of trips to the dump. All miles are highway, including some towing of an 8000 lb race trailer with a load-distributing hitch.

GM is going to cover the replacement since I'm just out of warranty, but I'm starting to think that I'll have to replace these things every 35K miles. Which does not make me happy.

How many people here have had these parts replaced?

"WE ARE PROFESSIONAL GRADE," huh?

- Mark

sdaver
06-30-2004, 05:57
50k on the first set 90 k now w/ no issues to date

xwing
07-08-2004, 04:25
To say they were worn out, did you diagnose this because the truck was wandering on the freeway, or by having it on a lift and pulling on stuff to see play?

If you saw play, what was the truck ACTING like?

Mine doesn't seem to track as well as stock, seems like I have some play, like I am "herding" it with the steering wheel--not directly telling it where to go without play.

mdadgar
07-08-2004, 09:16
Mine had a bit more play than when new, but what caught my attention was the distinct clunk when going to full right lock with the steering wheel and then half a turn back left.

Took it to the dealer and they diagnosed worn parts.

- Mark

mdadgar
07-08-2004, 12:20
Just picked up the truck with the new idler/pitman arms.

Steering is much tighter, feels like when the truck was new.

Unfortunately, the clunk is still there.

- Mark

SDakDmax
07-08-2004, 19:11
I have 42000 on my 2001. It began to shake the steering wheel at about 45-50. took it to the dealer, the right idler was out and also the left wheel bearing. they told me they would take care of half the bill since it was out of warranty, I complained a little saying I'm sure the bearing didn't go out in the last 6000 miles. it's been 3 weeks and still no bill. they have been good to me so far. The bearing was $270.00, wow... I guess there are sensors in it. I've been searching here for a long time and haven't heard much of wheel bearings, the dealer said they had a "few". It's like brand new now, although I didn't buy it brand new. SUPER truck, I just rode in a friends 2004 F**d not that great and he's having a fuel problem now..

BassinRVer
07-09-2004, 11:47
66000 miles and I am on my third set of pitman and idler arms.

Dawg
07-12-2004, 06:43
StrangeEngine, There is a TSB on the steering clunk. My dealer took care of mine in about 1 hour. No more clunk. I thnk it is related to the intermidiate steering shaft.

mdadgar
07-13-2004, 14:27
Thank you, Dawg.

- Mark