PDA

View Full Version : Allison tran shudder

CAT_385
07-02-2004, 12:46
I have been having a terrible shake from my tranny when taking off, with a vibration noticble to me from then on and a severe vibration above 80 mph. Has anybody got an idea of what it could be and what the dealer will want to do?

Also every now and then when at idle in gerar it will die, I restart and it dies again this will continue untill I run it at high idle for a minute any ideas?

hd90rider
07-02-2004, 15:41
You might want to check the U-joints. I had 2 out of 3 bad. There are no grease fittings on the stock ones. Get some after-market ones with grease fittings.Hope this helps

62dog
07-03-2004, 04:36
Originally posted by hd90rider:
Get some after-market ones with grease fittings.Hope this helps Actually if it is a u-joint issue I would not recommend the ones with grease fittings. The holes that are drilled for the fitting actually decrease the strength. All true heavy duty u-joints have no fittings.

GlenM
07-03-2004, 05:08
I just had a bad shudder at take off and above 50 mph. Found out it was the rear U Joint. Joint was $15.00 at Auto Zone. Pulled drive shaft and took it to local garage to be pressed in. Back on the road in less han 2 hours. The older guy at the garage said they wear out because of no grease fittings anymore. The younger guy said the ones without fittings are better because they are sealed better. Anyway, I had a click from forward to reverse that it fixed also. Truck is 2001 with 47K of which about 40k is local hilly road tow miles.

jbplock
07-03-2004, 06:04
Originally posted by CAT_385:
... Also every now and then when at idle in gerar it will die, I restart and it dies again this will continue untill I run it at high idle for a minute any ideas? This could be a loss of prime in the fuel system.. You might try changing your fuel filter..
smile.gif