PDA

View Full Version : 3rd clutch in 3 years, 8.1L/ZF

DeepVee
07-12-2004, 11:03
I just had the entire clutch assembly replaced on my truck for the second time, courtesy of GM. Hopefully 3's a charm for this one. This is on a 2001 8.1L/ZF with 41,000 miles used for occasional light towing, 5,000-7,000lbs. #1 was replaced at 31,000 miles when GM tore out the tranny for bearing noise. Upon opening up the clutch they found that the pressure plate was heat checked and cracked. The pedal was also very soft. GM replaced the pressure plate, clutch disk, pilot, throw-out, slave and master cylinder. The dealership also turned the flywheel. Nine months and 10,000 miles later the new pressure plate started to fail. The pedal was very soft and the clutch would not fully disengage. After diagnosing it as a hydraulics problem the dealership replaced the slave and master under my extended warranty but the problem still existed so GM decided to replace everything yet again. This time I got a new pressure plate, clutch disk, throw-out, slave and master w/Super DOT-4 fluid and a new flywheel. The pedal is now back to it