PDA

View Full Version : Service 4WD light.....

HD-Nate
07-27-2004, 11:34
On my trip a few weeks ago, I got the

More Power
07-27-2004, 12:08
Your experience with the "Service 4WD" warning is similar to mine.

There are a series of Hall-Effect switches located in the motor drive module on the transfer case. These are set/unset depending on the position of the transfer case shift selector on the transfer case. I suspect these switches can lose their way occasionally, if not used.

When I began seeing the service 4WD light every time I drove the truck, I decided to exercise the transfer case by selecting each of the available positions, including neutral.

Having done that, the service 4WD light has not returned, after several weeks now.

MP

This forum thread is being transferred to the 2500HD/3500 Trucks & Drivetrain forum.

jbplock
07-27-2004, 12:42
HD-Nate,

The "Service 4WD" message seemed to be a common problem on the 03's -- there was also a TSB. My 03 failed similar to what you described and in my case the problem became worse with time and I eventually had the encoder motor assy replaced per the TSB...

See the following topic for more info...

Service 4WD (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=005288)

smile.gif

HD-Nate
08-02-2004, 12:12
jpblock,

Any problems since you replaced the encoder motor assy?

I spoke with the dealer today, he said he would go ahead and replace it to assure that I would not have any problems out of warranty.

Great to have a service manager on my side :D

jbplock
08-06-2004, 04:15
Nate,

No more 4WD problems so far ... Odometer just turned over 30k miles while on vacation this week.

smile.gif

Northcountry
08-16-2004, 00:09
I had that happen, along with Service brake system, both at the same time going around a corner on ice. The 4WD went out and the antilock brakes went out. I lost complete control of it and buried the cheesy plastic spoiler on my 03 GMC dmax in a hard frozen snow bank. Totalled the spoiler. Got in a big urinating contest with the mananger of Alaska Sales and Service in Anchorage. Had to go about 45 miles up to Wasilla and get the thing fixed by another branch of the same company. Finally got it resolved, they blamed it on the Autostart that THEY put on it.
GM has now informed me that my warranty is void since I (they) put an autostart on it.
GM has some BIG problems with the electrical systems on these trucks. Turns out I have a friend who is high up in the service dept at this dealership and he says he wouldn't OWN a GM or Chevy truck because of the massive number of electrical problems he sees. He can get them at cost if he wants one and he is a die-hard Chevy guy for 30+ yars.
My attorney and I just served GM and Alaska Sales and Service with a lemon law request for refund. I really like the engine, cab, load carrying capability and have sunk a fair amount of money into it to get camper mounts, Line-x and so on, but if the miserable pr*cks are going to dissallow my entire warranty after 10 months of use for buying an accessory and install from THEIR dealer then it's time for a lawsuit. This is the third Chevy or GM truck in a row I have bought from these jerks.
Picked up a copy of my service records and it was 14 pages long, about 2 1/2 service records per page. NIGHTMARE dealer and nightmare vehicle experience. New computer put in, same alerts, new instrument cluster put in (wrong cluster by the way) been in with the alearts flashing at leat 7 times, and they still can't fix it. Neither of the computers showed any codes relating to the "Service Brake System." I was told by a servece rep "GM knows that some of these trucks have this problem but they don't have a fix for it. They will get in touch with me if and when they do." Yeah, I'm sure that will happen. My advice: get rid of the damned thing on a lemon law and take the money. Don't take a "similar vehicle." I predict that these trucks will be unsaleable once the word gets out on the electricals.
Lately the dinging dash alarm has begun to start dinging while it is parked and shut off, can't figure that one out. The whole thing is just one cascading series of electrical problems, makes for interesting drives, though.

Talked with the State of Alaska attorney general in charge of the lemon law enforcement and he said, "Get a lawyer. don't try to do one by yourself. Take the money-back option, always."