PDA

View Full Version : Rattle steering column

BIGGAR
08-02-2004, 11:56
I have 21,000 on my 2003 2500hd crew cab. When i fisrt bought it last year I had read some post on here about steering column noise. Well i'm now experincing it on slow speed turns, can feel a knocking right up thru the colummn. I belive it had something to do with a bearing in the shaft or the steering box. I haven't been on the board in quite a while so if someone could up date me on this problem so i can be armed with a little info before I call the dealer. Much appreicated
thanks
biggar

Paintdude
08-02-2004, 16:52
GM part number 26099860 look for a code number CB on the steering box..

JimWilson
08-04-2004, 06:49
TSB #00-02-35-003E - (Jul 20, 2004)

Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt In Steering Wheel (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly)

2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV

1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado

2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2003 GMC Sierra

2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2003 HUMMER H2

with Recirculating Ball-Type Steering

This bulletin is being revised to include the replacement of the intermediate shaft . Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003D (Section 02 -- Steering).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Correction
Replace the steering column upper intermediate shaft with an improved design shaft that will eliminate the clunk noise using the procedure listed below.

Set the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.

Notice
On 2002 and later model year vehicles, the steering column LOCK was removed from the steering column. It is critical that the J 42640 Steering Column Anti-Rotation Pin is used when servicing these steering columns. Failure to use the J 42640 may result in damage to the SIR coil.

Set the steering wheel in the LOCK position on 2001 and prior vehicles.

Install the J 42640 in the steering column lower access hole.

From under the hood, remove the lower bolt that connects the upper intermediate shaft to the steering gear coupling shaft.
Slide the shaft towards the dash in order to disengage the shaft from the steering gear coupling shaft.
For vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals, do the following steps.
Reposition the carpet away from the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor.
Remove the two nuts retaining the accelerator pedal to the bulkhead.
Reposition the accelerator pedal out of the way so that the intermediate shaft can be removed.

From inside the vehicle, remove the upper bolt from the upper intermediate steering shaft (1) to the steering column connection.
Remove the upper intermediate steering shaft assembly.
From inside the vehicle, slide the shaft down and off the steering column shaft.
From inside the vehicle, slide the upper intermediate shaft through the dash boot seal and remove the shaft from the vehicle.
Replace the upper intermediate shaft. See the parts table below.
Install the upper intermediate steering shaft through the dash boot seal and slide the lower end into the steering gear coupling shaft.
Raise the upper end of the intermediate steering shaft and install into the steering column shaft.
Install the upper bolt and nut. Tighten
Tighten the bolt to 47 N

BIGGAR
08-09-2004, 06:58
Thanks Jim; I found a bulletin 35-003c dated 10/20/03. So i appreiate the up date. Are the dealers being responsive to this, or are they giving the customers the run around. I'm still under warrranty. Thanks

JimWilson
08-09-2004, 08:21
That all depends upon the dealer. The one I got my truck from is the pits, but they're not all that way. With a TSB they really can't say much though, because it's basically GM telling the dealers they have a problem and how it's to be fixed.

Onebigcanuck
08-10-2004, 04:54
I spoke to my Dealer yesterday and he advised me there is a intermediate part to fix it but they are not yet available.
:cool:

Cliffee
09-02-2004, 23:30
Correction. They are available and I had one installed last week. Completely new designed part. So far, tight as a drum. I just hope it stays that way.
Bye the way, it has the same part # as the old one. You have to visually inspect it to tell the difference.
I was told there is now an updated new Gearbox/Pitman assembly. No more bearing upgrades. That's next!

SC2222
09-03-2004, 15:28
Does anybody know what the SIR coil in the steering columns does?

atvpilot
09-03-2004, 15:40
be aware it's a service bulltien and not a recall . I had t pay to get mine fixed. Didn't know and wasn't told unitl the work was done. :mad:

jbplock
09-04-2004, 01:57
Originally posted by SC2222:
Does anybody know what the SIR coil in the steering columns does? I'm not sure what the purpose of the SIR coil but given it's name SIR (which stands for Sudden Impact Restraint) it would be part of the air bag system. Just a guess ... since it's in the steering column it may be part of the air bag deployment circuit (??) ...

smile.gif

[ 09-04-2004, 02:10 AM: Message edited by: jbplock ]

MIKE WIENER
09-04-2004, 11:06
Hay ATVPILOT what was the cost of the job If you don't mind me asking?

c5dura
10-01-2004, 06:38
I had the steering column rattle real bad and the dealer just performed TSB #00-02-35-003E on my truck and the rattle is completely gone. I had 1200 miles left on the warranty.

This did nothing to fix the play in the steering however, so I took the truck back again. My gear box was replaced back when the truck has 8000 miles on it due to an accident.

I've been telling them that they need to install bearing kit 26099860 if my replacement gearbox has "CB" stamped on it (as Paintdude mentioned), but they don't seem to be willing to do that.

All I know is that I won't accept the truck until they take out the 1/8 turn play that I have. None of the other 2500HD or 3500 on their lot has this play, so I'm not going to accept it in my truck either. If I'm lucky, they pull a gearbox from a new truck on the lot, but I'll have to be real lucky since I didn't buy the truck from them.

c5dura
10-01-2004, 11:18
Just spoke to the dealer. They have ordered a new steering box and will be installing it Monday morning. I hope GM have wised up and are now using true replacement boxes and not those cheap "pseudo OEM" boxes.

Cliffee
10-04-2004, 21:04
If the steering box is new it will include the Pitman arm. GM has a new improved (not rebuilt)Gearbox/Pitman that is backordered bigtime. They are not doing the bearing kit anymore. If you don't get the Pitman it is a rebuilt and you can almost garuntee steering play.

Good Luck.

Paintdude
10-05-2004, 04:02
Originally posted by SC2222:
Does anybody know what the SIR coil in the steering columns does? It basicly is the wires that connect the steering wheel air bag to the vehicle alowing the steering wheel to rotate..coil of wires in the column. It must be timed so to speak. Coil must be in the center position with steering-front wheels in the forward position at time of install.

c5dura
10-05-2004, 05:13
Originally posted by Cliffee:
If the steering box is new it will include the Pitman arm. GM has a new improved (not rebuilt)Gearbox/Pitman that is backordered bigtime. They are not doing the bearing kit anymore. If you don't get the Pitman it is a rebuilt and you can almost garuntee steering play.Thanks for the heads up Cliffee. Got the truck back yesterday, and there's lots of play still. So I guess they stuck me with the rebuilt unit.

Do you know how long the new improved unit is going to be backordered? I only have about 1200 miles before I'm out of warranty, but I would like to think that I can explain the situation to them and they can order me the new unit and then install is when it finally comes in, even if I roll past 36k.

I suspect they are going to resist big time. Do you have a contact within GM so that they can hear this from the horse's mouth so to speak?

Paintdude
10-05-2004, 14:45
The Guy at GM corporate told me that even if they put a new steering box in my truck it would still need the bearing replacement. from what I understand the reason for the play is the bearing is not torqued down tight enough in the steering box. Mine has still been fine ever since the bearing replacement. No complaints from me.

c5dura
10-07-2004, 09:12
The dealer has spent the last two days trying to find out some more information about this new gearbox but has not been able to come up with anything. They state that everything points to the same part number which is the one that they installed Monday.

Hopefully Cliffee will come back through and will be able to point me in the right direction.

As an alternative, I suppose I can see if they can still get the bearing kit and go that route instead.

Cliffee
10-07-2004, 11:55
Paintdood,
You must not have gotten a new gearbox. I ran into this problem already at 10kmi. I had a gearbox leak. They replaced my original unit with a supposed new box. All of a sudden I had major play. They replaced it again. Still same play. They finally pulled one out of a new truck on their lot and installed it in mine. Play was gone. It was later confirmed that the replacement was a rebuilt and of a much crappier quality. When you get a true new box the bearing doesn't need replaceing and you will have zero play. If I remember correctly the bearing replacemnt was only for the groaning on left turns problem which I'm experiencing right now. That's why I know about and waiting for the new Gearbox/Pitman combo from GM that is so badly backordered. This is supposed to correct the groaning and short Pitman life as well. I'll keep you posted when I finally get it!!

Paintdude
10-07-2004, 15:51
All I can say is the bearing kit has fixed my truck so far. over 20,000 miles ago..

Cliffee
10-09-2004, 08:23
Paintdude,
The bearing kit is a fix no doubt. I'm just stating that GM's new fix is to replace the box completely with a Pitman arm as well. My dealer told me the bearing kit was a real pain in the _ss. Ive also read lots of people complaining about short Pitman life. This probably addresses both issues.

Cheers

c5dura
10-11-2004, 10:35
Originally posted by Cliffee:
Paintdude,
The bearing kit is a fix no doubt. I'm just stating that GM's new fix is to replace the box completely with a Pitman arm as well. My dealer told me the bearing kit was a real pain in the _ss. Ive also read lots of people complaining about short Pitman life. This probably addresses both issues.
Cheers Cliffee, any chance you can email me the name of the dealer you have been working with? This way my dealer can contact him and hopefully obtain the proper part number for ordering the new gearbox design.

My email address is peter@cstone.net.

Thanks!

quadrunner500
10-12-2004, 09:16
The steering knock will come back. I had it fixed 3 times on my '99 1500, twice on my '01 Dmax 2500.

On the 1500, they replaced the intermediate steering shaft 3 times. It came back twice, and I traded it before it came back a third.

On the 2500HD Dmax, they replaced a bearing in the steering gear box, and a new TSB for the intermediate shaft that called for adding a greasable zerk, and pumping grease in there. That lasted about 2 weeks, then they went back in and replaced the intermediate shaft and re-greased it again. It stopped knocking, but I still felt a snapping/popping sensation turning over uneven terrain shortly thereafter.

I don't know why GM can't make an intermediate shaft that lasts as long as the rest of the truck. It's not like they haven't had the time.

bkelley112
10-15-2004, 18:09
I had my truck in today and the dealer replaced the intermediate shaft #89060582 as mentioned above in this post. The steering does seem to be much tighter. It still seems to have some play at higher speeds like 70mph.

Bob E.
10-19-2004, 14:59
I got my truck back today from dealer checking steering column rattle. The new bulletin is 000235003F; the replacement part is being made by one source and the backorder is over 50,000. He said about 5 weeks. I can get the bulletin and elaborate if anyone interested.

Bob

bkelley112
10-20-2004, 18:09
Bob,

Just curious what the difference is between the service bulletin you listed and the on up above in this thread.

Thanks,

Brian

oyazi
10-22-2004, 22:23
Originally posted by Paintdude:
GM part number 26099860 look for a code number CB on the steering box.. ... and what would be the significance of the marking? I've a CB sticker/label on the end of the unit .....

SHOPMAN426
10-23-2004, 08:53
Friday I call the dealer where I bought my truck and they are well aware of the latest update on the sterring issue fix. At this time they alone have forty plus on backorder. The guy I talked to seemed very informed on the ploblem and didn't try to hide the problem. I guess this is good, but how long before I get mine? I asked him if this was going to be a problem that I am outside of my three years. He said there would be no charge as I have had my truck in before for the sterring rattle. He also said they would update the tail gate cables at the same time.

Shopman426,

Mike.

Bob E.
10-23-2004, 14:38
Brian wrote:
Just curious what the difference is between the service bulletin you listed and the on up above in this thread.

No difference. I got confused when the service writer said to disregard all previous bullitens. The post by Jim Wilson on Aug 8 is the latest fix. I still don't know what the updates of c, d, e, and f on the original Bull #235. Next time I'll read and leave the postings to the experts.

Sorry for the confusion,

Bob

Cliffee
10-23-2004, 21:07
I had the new shaft installed. It was very different from the original which was replaced 2 times previously. Was lasting longer than the others as well. Unfortunately, the truck was totaled after I was hit from a Voltwagen Bug doing about 40mph!!! Frame was bent beyond repair.

chrisinkanata
10-24-2004, 03:43
Anyone happen to recall what the cost of the repairs were assuming it's out of warranty?

Chris

SHOPMAN426
10-24-2004, 07:56
Chrisinkanata,

Have you had the truck in during your warranty period? If so, they should honor the latest repair at no charge as they didn't fix the problem the first time. Thats how my dealer is handling issues outside of the three years. GM knows they have a problem here.

SHOPMAN426,
Mike.

oyazi
10-28-2004, 22:58
Originally posted by Paintdude:
GM part number 26099860 look for a code number CB on the steering box.. PaintDude ~ find your post somewhat cryptic ~ insufficient in detail. Posted a request for clarification w/o response. I have a box w/a lable/sticker CB. So what? Is that bad/good/indifferent? Inquirying mind wants to know ~

chrisinkanata
10-30-2004, 22:25
Shopman...

I've had it in for various things but the rattle was not one of them. Are you receiving some sort coverage beyond the warranty having had it in to the dealer for that problem prior to the expiration of the warranty?

Chris

SHOPMAN426
10-31-2004, 09:43
Chrisinkanata,

Yes I am. I had taken it in while I was still under warranty. Since they never solved the problem they are honoring the repair. Plus I feel they knew that the grease job wasn't a fix. I am still waiting for the call telling me it's my turn. At the time, the dealer said he had forty plus on order.

SHOPMAN426.
Mike.

David Proske
11-04-2004, 06:12
Whats the tsb/part number for the updated steering box replacement that includes the pitman arm?

c5dura
11-04-2004, 08:57
Its the same as the old one. From what Cliffee said, the only way you know if you have the newer design is when you open the box and see if the pitman arm is attached.

David Proske
01-21-2005, 21:03
I will finally be taking my truck in on Tuesday for the sterring rattle and loose steering. I have 33,000 miles now. It started the rattle at around 10,000 miles.

C5dura, did you ever get your loose steering squared away? I am hoping by now the shop I take it to will be well informed and know to use both the updated shaft and box.

[ 01-21-2005, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: David Proske ]

c5dura
01-27-2005, 12:58
C5dura, did you ever get your loose steering squared away? I am hoping by now the shop I take it to will be well informed and know to use both the updated shaft and box.Nope. I unfortunately had to give up and just live with the loose steering.

The last straw was when I had the dealer replace my tailgate cables due to the recall. The idiot installed the new cables *under* the lock mechanism brackets. The result, of course, was that they would barely swivel, and after he tried to force the tailgate close a few times, the sheet metal the tailgate closes against was damaged. Not to mention that the rubber coating on the new cables were destroyed in the process. So all the guy does is put the cables back on the proper way and tells me I'm all set.

This is the same dealer that cracked my windshield when they were fixing my leaking roof marker, which they also refuse was their fault.

Sorry about the rant, but I'm never stepping foot in that dealership again. I even wrote the owner a letter and never got as much as a phone call back, let alone a letter of apology.

Back to your question. I did speak to Gill Waters @ Lou Group Chevrolet and he was very pleasant to speak with. He suggested that I have them replace the gearbox again, and then if the problem is still not fixed, call GM customer service and ask for a component warranty letter on the steering box. In my case, the dealer refused to replace the steering box a second time, but you shouldn't have that problem first time around.

He also mentioned that only 1 in 10 replacement gear boxes that they get in are the new design. So a small dealership will likely never even see the new design for quite a while. Hopefully the stock of the inferior design will eventually be exausted. At that time, I'll likely order a new gear box and install it myself since my truck is now out of warranty.

mcmonroe
01-30-2005, 09:43
This forum is great. Thanks so much Jim.

I have noticed more and more that on my drive to work on two lane country roads at speeds of about 40mph that on the various turns I run into that I get this really irritating rattle. It sounds like something is coming loose in the dash.

The rattle seems to be while either going left or right but only happens when slowly (usually 20-40mph) making turns.

I would bet money that this TSB is what is wrong my truck.

Mark