PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate Straps

okauto
08-09-2004, 12:35
I'm having problems with the tailgate straps on my 2004.5 Duramax. I saw where last year's trucks had straps breaking, but that isn't my problem yet. With the tailgate open, the right hand strap is tight, and the left hand strap is loose. I took it to the dealer and they thought one had stretched, so they installed a new one with absolutely no change. And, the dealer wasn't aware of any adjustment on the tailgate to bring both straps tight at the same time. Any clues on how to fix it, or has anyone else had the same problem. I'm afraid if I don't get it fixed that the tight one will take all the load and it may eventually fail, or put a warp in my tailgate because it is not supported evenly.

jbplock
08-09-2004, 15:15
okauto,

I noticed the left strap on my 03 was a little loose when I installed my VRstraps (http://www.vrstraps.com/). Even with the VRstraps (which are perfectly identical in length) the left side is slightly loose. It does however stiffen up as soon as any weight is applied to the tailgate. I also seem to remember others reporting the same thing when installing new straps.

smile.gif

JimWilson
08-10-2004, 07:49
My experience is pretty much the same; the DS is tighter then the PS, with the cables or the straps. Worries me too -- well, it did before I got the VR Straps. Now, I don't think it's as big a deal because of how stout they are.