PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake adjustment

northofthe52nd
08-16-2004, 12:35
Is there any way to adjust the park brake on the '02 2500 HD? Mine went to the floor long ago and I know that I never drove with it on.

DmaxMaverick
08-16-2004, 13:27
Just because it goes to the floor doesn't mean it needs adjustment. The design of the mechanism that applies the brake is very different than in years past. It's called "reduced user effort", due to a mechanical advantage type mechanism.

Apply the E-brake about 1/2 to 1/3. With engine running, put the gear selector in D and apply a little throttle, about 1500 rpm. It may roll a little, but that's normal. Gradually apply more E-brake until forward motion stops. If you are not yet to the floor, the brake is OK. If you get to th floor, and the truck still moves, then it needs adjustment. You can do it manually, if absolutely necessary. The E-brake will adjust automatically with periodic application. If you seldom use it, it is possible that it has "relaxed" and fell out of adjustment. If you use it very frequently, it may need servicing. Another issue involving poor E-brake function is lack of use. Over time, the drum will develope rust on the surface from never or seldom use. The only way to remove the rust (short of removing the drum) is to apply slight E-brake pressure and drive a short distance. The build up of rust on the drum surface will act as a lubricant until it is worn off, adding to the misconception of a brake that is out of adjustment, or failed.

If you don't already know.....
The E-brake on our trucks (2001-current GM trucks with rear disc) do not use the same friction pads and surface as with normal service brakes. The rotor is a "Drum in Hat" design, meaning, there is a separate drum inside the rotor, dedicated only to the E-brake, and has its own set of brake shoes.