PDA

View Full Version : Hard steering after steering rattle fix

SC2222
08-16-2004, 16:34
I took my truck in for the steering rattle repair. They lubed the shaft, rattle gone. The problem is the steering is to tight, like the tires are half flat. I took it back. This time they replaced the intermediate shaft. Now the steering is tighter than ever. My steering before I took it was great. Any suggestions what the mechanics could have done to create this problem? Thanks :confused:

Derek M
08-17-2004, 05:15
There is an adjustment screw allen screw 3/16" ? on top of the steering box that when adjusted too far clockwise can exhibit a steering wheel feel that is considered tough to turn.

This allen screw is held in place by a retaining nut with nylon insert.

JimWilson
08-17-2004, 09:29
Isn't that adjustment for play only? I didn't think it tightened up the effort too.

SC2222
08-17-2004, 12:56
Adjusting the steering box play was the first thing I tried, it wasn't the problem. Dosen't make sense how replacing or lubing the intermediate shaft would make it harder to turn. This shouldn't be that tough for the mechanics to figure out, but apparently it is. Taking the truck back in Friday for the fourth time. Thanks for the suggestions.

roegs
08-18-2004, 09:21
I had my steering shaft replaced last week, and notice that it does steer harder now, although its still very acceptable. I assumed that it might be stiffer due to tighter joints on the new shaft, but maybe I'm all wet. Please let us know what the dealer says.