PDA

View Full Version : Tire Life

chrisinkanata
08-17-2004, 10:34
Afternoon all,

I'm in the market for some new tires. I have about 40K on the original Bridgestones. I'd like to get something that'll last a bit longer. They get rotated regularly and are wearing evenly but just too quickly. Most mileage is of the highway variety with a fair bit of towing our 7000lbs trailer. I adjust the presures based on if the trailer is on or not. I have separate snow tires, so I don't care about winter traction. I need a straight highway tire with long life. I'm looking at the Michelin LTX MS. I have seen some claims of over 100K on these.

Anyone have any thoughts on these?

Thanks,

Chris

sonofagun
08-17-2004, 10:58
Chris,

I went from 'stones to Michelin on my 2001 2500 and on my 2004 3500. They ride well and last a very long time, especially if you care for them the way you have yours.

Regards,
Bob

jbplock
08-17-2004, 10:59
I replaced the OE Steeltex on my 03 at 10kmiles with Michelin X Radial LT's (http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/tires/MichelinXRadialLT.html?tiretype=6&tire=8) (Load Range E). They are a very smooth, quiet riding tire. They show very little wear after 20 kmiles. Good traction in our upstate NY winters too... bought them at Sam's Club...

smile.gif

4diesels
08-18-2004, 06:01
40k isn't bad! I was running Steeltex's and getting 50k on a hard pullin work truck. I do think that Michelin makes some of the longest wearing tires out there. One thing to consider is that if it takes you too long to run up the miles you can end up with dry rot of the rubber while there is still plenty of tread left. That is what happened on my motorhome.

whatnot
08-22-2004, 15:46
If you are just using 245 tires, you can get take offs real cheap.