PDA

View Full Version : Front Differential Leak

bpep
12-19-2001, 20:13
My front differential leaks after using
4 wheel drive.It appears to be on the top left side (drivers side)of the diff.,could it possibly from a vent hole. Nothing turned up in the search and I don't recall hearing
about this in past posts. It does'nt appear to be overfilled.Any info will be appreciated.
What a great forum I have gotten much useful
info over the last couple of months and because of this forum I bought my 2002 d/a.

------------------

sonofagun
12-19-2001, 20:15
bpeb,

There is no good reason for it to leak. Take it to your dealer for a checkup.

Bob

DSLPOWR
12-19-2001, 20:43
Ditto on that....

------------------
2002 3500 Duramax/ZF6 speed
LS Interior
Summit white
4x4

2001 2500HD Alli-Max
LT Interior
Extended cab
Short box
Onyx Black
Graphite leather
4x4
295 BFG's
Eagle Alloys
MX7000 lightbar
DeeZee Gold series Toolbox
DeeZee Aluminum Tread Mud Guards
DeeZee Aluminum Tread Bed rail protectors
BOSS 9' snowplow
Straight piped
EGT/Boost guage (Pillar mount)

1994 Chevrolet 2500 Silverado
4x4
9" Lift
35X12.50 BFG's
15X10 American Racings

www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=dslpowr (http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=dslpowr)

56Nomad
10-17-2002, 17:42
We are just getting ready to take off to Pismo
Beach with the quads and I notice oil under
the truck on the driveway........ Looks like a
seal is leaking on the front differential case
drivers side. Must have happen suddenly
because the oil is newly splattered under the
the truck. :mad:

Well, I have an appointment next week with the
dealer and I don't plan on using the 4x4 but for
maybe 10 miles on the sand.

Only 16000 miles on the truck & probably have
only 200 miles using 4 wheel drive.

turbolag
10-18-2002, 15:14
Mine has been leaking on the drivers side since new. Had it checked at the dealer, they said that they replaced the seal, but guess what it still leaks....

C J Fairall
10-19-2002, 21:57
The fluid leak is most likely comming from the vent just above the left front axel. This vent has a hex fitting on it 13/16" size. Just snug the fitting with an open end wrench, but not too tight as the fitting is made of plastic and is sealed with an "O" ring underneath it. It is quick and easy, no need to go to the Dealer. Hope this helps
Jim.

56Nomad
10-22-2002, 18:47
C J Fairall wrote: "The fluid leak is most likely comming from the vent just above the left front axle"

CJ............. You were right on the money. Thanks! :D

Silver Bullet
10-23-2002, 12:11
I had my vent replaced at the dealer serveral weeks ago. I was in western Colorado elk hunting...I used the 4-drive-wheel a lot. When I got home to the Dallas area and got under it with high pressure sprayer I noticed the leak. All I know is it was not leaking before I left. So, approx. 2000 miles later I get it fixed. Dealer said there were no metal shavings in what they drained out, so I am assuming everything is OK. I might change it soon myself to check...trust, but verify!

bpep
10-26-2002, 13:56
CJ FAIRALL IS RIGHT,FRONT DIFF. LEAK COMING FROM
LOOSE VENT SCREW ON DRIVERS SIDE. IT MIGHT OF COME THIS WAY FROM THE FACTORY BUT IMO THIS SHOULD BE CHECKED BEFORE AND AFTER 4 WHEELING.

mattb5150
11-02-2002, 14:28
Same symptoms on mine, vent cover was loose as a goose! By the way it's 15/16" or 24mm(most likely) but both wrenches will work. Everyone should check this thing on their trucks.

Matt B.

letsgo
11-02-2002, 18:01
mattb5150

the vent cover you are refering to, are you refering to the the filler plug 1/2 way up the differential or is there a third plug up higher??? not sure where to look.

thanks

mattb5150
11-03-2002, 09:34
letsgo,

On the diff housing just above where the axle comes out is a 2-3 inch diameter round black plastic thingy with a rubber hose coming off of a nipple in the center of it which is the vent hose. A nut is cast into this thing around the base of the hose nipple. I pulled off the hose and used a 24mm socket (deep well recommended) to snug the plastic disc. I then changed my fluid not knowing how much had leaked out. Used Mobil 1 75W-90 synthetic almost two quarts. Then I washed the skid plate and pumpkin and will check for fluid from time to time. Oh by the way the fluid was yellowish looking also and had some of the powdery orange looking stuff in it too as others have reported.

Matt B.