PDA

View Full Version : Allison quick relearn ???

Toddster
09-26-2002, 05:27
Could someone fill me in on this proceedure ? Thanx, Toddster.

IndigoDually
09-26-2002, 06:33
Though I have not yet done it, I believe that the sequence is:
Drive 50 mph and pull the shifter all the way to 1 st. allowing the trans to downshift on it's own and slow the truck to a stop. Don't worry about over-revving since the trans will not immediately go into 1 st.

Do this 3 times and the TCM is put into "Fast Learn Mode"

John

TLA
09-26-2002, 07:33
Don't let the proceedure scare you - I have done it several; times, ans the computer protects the engine.

Kennedy
09-26-2002, 07:40
I have seen no evidence to show that this does anything to pressures. Not saying it doesn't have some affect, but I've never seen it. On the other hand, when I go in with the Tech II and select "Preset all Tap cells" it makes a definite difference.

[ 09-26-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

deerhunter7
09-26-2002, 08:00
I have never seen nothing from Allison or Gm that states this procedure . It might change somthing as the computer is suppose to adjust to how you drive. I have my reservations that it actually puts it in a relearn mode..

77TransAm
09-26-2002, 09:34
The Allison TCM has no "relearn mode" other than the resetting of all shifts (or selected shifts only) to unadapted values using the Tech II or similar tool. What the manual downshift procedure (first recommended by SteveO) did was to help adapt the harsh 2-1 downshift that some people had complaints about on the early 2001 trucks. That problem isn't as evident these days because software updates have improved that shift to the point that it is no longer objectionable to most people. The manual preselect still has no adverse affect on the engine or trans, though - you can run 97 mph at full throttle and pull it down into first and nothing will happen.

Kennedy
09-26-2002, 10:38
Thank you 77 Trans Am!

Now you guys can drive your trucks as normal again! I CAN suggest that when you run an adjustable power module, that you should set it up part way first, and let the Allison learn in two steps, OR clear out the adaptive shift data and such if possible. It is best to make small step transitions whenever possible.

This clears up yet another instance (myth) where "placebo" effect kicks in... :rolleyes:

sonofagun
09-26-2002, 16:41
John,

Don't have one yet but leaning toward the juice from your shop. how would you set it up in stages as you suggest?

Thanks,

Bob

hdmax(mike)
09-26-2002, 16:54
For the price of these trucks, I don`t think it is wise to take the chance of distroying the transmission or engine by doing this. I may be wrong, But I`ll stay on the safe side for now.

Kennedy
09-26-2002, 19:22
Bob,

Depends on how patient you are, but the simple way would be to leave the Juice at default power levels for a while so Alli can adapt. After a couple days, you could turn it up if desired, and give it time to adapt again.

BTW, there is a NEW fast learn procedure just released which, once again uses the Tech II. The tool must have August updates which mine does not as I have been reluctant to shell out the several hundred dollars for the 32meg card that is necessary to upgrade to this level...

[ 09-26-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

sdaver
09-26-2002, 19:43
got a friend at a buick dealership who will do it for me.....thanks for the info......dave

SoCalDMAX
09-26-2002, 22:52
JK,

What kinda 32meg card is it? Sounds more expensive than any I've heard of.

Regards, Steve

Kennedy
09-26-2002, 22:57
Mdrag can elaborate, but it is a 32mb PCMCIA card. Sounds simple enough, but it has staggered read/write voltages as I understand :confused:

Mic
09-27-2002, 08:46
Looks like a trip to the TECH II...

The" FastLearn" procedure is a series of tests that are run to allow the Transmission Control Module (TCM) to "Learn" (Adapt) to the characteristics of the clutch packs within the transmission. As each clutch packs data is learned, "FastLearn" stores the information in the adaptive cells for each clutch within the TCM. "FastLearn" will allow a repaired Allison 1000 Series™ transmission to be road tested after completion of the repair in as near -fully-adapted state as possible. This will allow the technician and customer to drive the vehicle in the adapted mode and reduce the number of technician and customer concerns after a transmission repair. The "FastLearn" procedure consists of four (4) steps (modes).

MadDuraMax
09-27-2002, 14:48
Ok, if you don't want to trust JK here's a cut an paste from a contact I have at GMC (his name, email, etc. removed by his request).

"The LCT1000 as set up in the GMC product will not enter the fast adapt mode through a gear selector routine. In order to enter fast adapt learn mode the tcm must be cleared and the process started using a Tech 2. There is a series of service bay shifts to be performed and then aprox. 12-14 additional shifts while driving to complete the "fast" stage of the relearn process."

I TRUST this guy and respect his request for privacy and keeping away from a flood of emails, otherwise I would post his name etc.

Mark