PDA

View Full Version : They changed the tow ratings????

needbigtruck
09-26-2002, 20:59
I was in a Chevy dealer today and picked up a 2003 book. Looked at the tow ratings and noticed that they looked different than what I remembered when I bought mine. So I went digging and pulled out my 2001 book. For my truck 2001 2500HD, CC, 8ft box, Duramax, 3.73 gears, 4 wheel drive, it has 14,900 lbs. In the new 2003 book same truck it has 13,700 lbs. What could have changed. There are other changes for other combo's, in fact some went up. It also lists payload for the 2500HD base CC longbox, 4WD as 3144. I know my truck weighs in without me in it at around 7000 lbs. So where are they getting these ratings from???

DieselDennis
09-27-2002, 09:00
Now I can't really comment about any specific tow ratings. But most manufacturers get the best number they can. Let's say they were advertising tow ratings for a 3/4 ton truck. They would take their predetermined GCVW rating. Then they would take a small block gasser, regular cab, 2WD, single alternator, ie. anything to get the weight down. And then subtract the trucks weight from the GCVW. This is why the brochures "claim" the most incapable trucks can pull the biggest loads. And the most powerful trucks can only pull the lightest. Most think it's a brake, tire, suspension, insurance issue.