PDA

View Full Version : Front shocks

Paintdude
09-29-2002, 10:06
I noticed when I installed my New front shocks this morning that the front suspension will extend furthur than the shocks OEM or aftermarket shocks..

Anyone else notice this?

One of the OEM rubber bushing was already torn..

My concern is when ever the truck is put on a lift for service it is putting undo pressure on the shock and rubber bushings..This will result in a noise down the road..IMO..

mdrag
09-29-2002, 12:01
Paintdude,

I also noted that the top front shock OEM bushings looked weak - neither of mine were torn. The Bilstein bushings looked as if they will hold up better...

The 2001 Helm's manual indicates that the front shock absorbers provide the only stop to the front suspension when fully extended. Replacements must be equivalent to the original shocks in both extended length and strength. Using shocks not complying to OEM specs could result in suspension over-travel or shock breakage. Suspension over-travel could result in suspension component breakage.

Paintdude
09-29-2002, 15:11
Now that figures.

Most other units have a top out rubber stop on the upper control arm.. :mad:

Idle_Chatter
09-29-2002, 18:30
Sounds like there's a D-Max market for some of those big ol' honkin' yellow nylon overtravel straps that the Baja Boys use to keep the wheels from dropping too far! Not that we're looking at too much "air time" in our trucks (except Mackin, Kennedy, Hoot and Peanut a 'course!) :D