PDA

View Full Version : Windshield is Toast

Trucker Tex
09-30-2002, 20:01
Well, after exactly one year and three days without a single ding, dent, scratch or nick it all came to an end today. Trucking through a construction area on 35E south of Dallas a metal object that seemingly was thrown up from a vehicle in front trashed the windshield with a hugh "eye" and a couple of 4 inch trailers out to each side right on the driver's side.

I'm distraught.

Question for the forum. I've never actually had to have a windshield replaced. What's the best bet. Can I get a "dealer" fix on this or is an independent glass dealer the best bet. This truck is still like new and I want it restored to as near "factory" as I can get.

Paintdude
09-30-2002, 20:06
I wouldn`t worry about it too much,Just call your insurance company and they will have thier contracted glass company come out and install a new glass..

you might talk to a independent body shop in the area first and ask them "Who is the best auto glass company in town?"

Then ask your insurance company to have them do the work..

Good Luck..

NutNbutGMC
09-30-2002, 20:34
^...What Paintdude said.

I have 6 rock chips in my windshiled. Don't sweat the small stuff :D I'll replace it when a crack starts to run.

Maverick
09-30-2002, 21:09
I had the hook of my tow strap come through my windshield. The guy I gave the hook to didn't do a good job of hooking. I took my dealers recomendation of using the installer they use. I got my dealers pricing but had to pay cash. Cost me $304 bucks. Thats a smoking deal I thought.

SoCalDMAX
09-30-2002, 23:11
Yup, go with the insurance co.'s glass shop. It's most likely mobile and they do hundreds per month, so they know exactly what they're doing.

Regards, Steve

Nels
10-01-2002, 00:02
What a coincidence! I took a rock in my windshield this weekend as well. it is just a chip without any cracks spiderwebbing out from it yet. I am debating whether to wait to file the claim until it webs out. I had the guys in the little red trucks (the ins. co.'s installer) change my wife's windshield a couple years ago, and I have no complaints about that job. However, the Dmax has a lot more crap hanging on the windshield with the OnStar and remote starter.

If I end up replacing it this time, I will see if I can talk the insurance company into another option. I have a good friend who has a very reputable glass shop in town. I trust his work without question, and I would like to have him do the job.

hoot
10-01-2002, 03:32
My windshied got it about three weeks ago. I won't get it changed until it gets a about a foot long. It's about 8 inches now. I'm just afraid as soon as I get a new one it'll get hit again. I drive I-95 in the Northeast 60 miles a day. Lot's of trucks. I know a guy who had six windshields in about that many years. He had a hood deflector and always claimed it seemed to make it worse.

DDD70
10-01-2002, 07:29
I carry "Crazy Glue" at all times
and when I get a chip on windshield
immediatly apply a drop or two in chip.
Haven't had a runner is years

FormulaPro
10-01-2002, 12:15
Massachusetts has $0 deductible on all glass claims and is covered under the mandatory comprehensive...This is about the only thing that doesn't suck about my $1000.00 a year policy!

ThePend
10-01-2002, 15:40
Just want to say, I feel for ya. I had my truck all of 2 days before I got tagged by a rock off a truck tire. And wouldnt you know, right in my line of sight. So Ive got to look at it every stinkin day. It wont spider, just sits there reminding me of that cold day in March when it happened.

Once again. Sorry it happened.

mackin
10-01-2002, 17:46
I have had a few replaced, one every year in my 98......These windshields are a TAPE in after installed so in case the installer neglects to tell you, leave the window down a crack when shutting doors, for a least a day .....Make sure you check the advanced weather forecast if your truck doesn't fit in the garage......

Do what Paintdude says and check with a good body shop for a referral.....Sometimes ins company will use the cheapest in order to save money.....I have had some good luck and some guys you can tell are on commission.....

My car has a big chip in it I'll be waiting for spring to replace....My D-max is sandblasted "rainbow" so a stone is in order soon.....They don't make windshields like they use too.....

MAC

Trucker Tex
10-01-2002, 19:34
Thanks all. Lots of good advice. Since it doesn't really interfere with line of sight the suggestion about waiting until spring sounds like a good one. No use risking all the winter hazards on a new windshield.

OilMan
10-01-2002, 19:53
I'm on my third windshield on my 2001 2500HD Chevy.
Got a good look when the auto glass replacement folks had the broken ones removed - they looked kinda thin & light for a windshield to me.