PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop 255/85R16 tires

Joe Pool
10-01-2002, 00:56
For those of you running Dunlop 255/85R16 tires.

Which type are you running? (A/T, RV or Mud)

What are your comments and likes/dislikes about them?

I am looking for a fairly quiet, all season tire to run as opposed to running BFG Mud T/As all the time. I like my BFG A/Ts, but the tread wears quickly on pavement.

So let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance, Joe

hoot
10-01-2002, 03:27
I run the RV. I can't comment on the others cause I never had them. I really like the semi-aggressive tread style. These are some of the best tires I've ever owned. They have a compound that seems to be just right. They wear very slowly. They also are a great looking tire.

SoCalDMAX
10-01-2002, 08:31
Joe,

I bought the 255/85 Rover A/Ts the first time. 3 out of 5 tires separated the tread within 10,000 mi. they were very quiet (could not hear them at all) but appeared to be wearing fast. It was not a burnout issue, it was the front tires wearing fastest.

They replaced them with Rover RVs (they didn't notice that the first ones were A/Ts)and they have a little more aggressive tread that also looks deeper. They seem to be wearing longer, but it's too soon to really tell. They hum very slightly, but it's barely noticeable. No louder than wind noise, barely perceptible. I like the looks and the aggressive tread, only time will tell on the tread life.

Regards, Steve

MaxRock
10-01-2002, 10:53
Joe,

I also run the Dunlop AT's. In 26k miles, one tire has seperated and the tread is going fast on the remaining tires. I may be able to squeeze another 5k to 10k, but thats about all.

I do not dog my truck and try to be pretty easy on the tire spin. I am somewhat dissappointed in the rapid tire wear.

Hoot...what kind of mileage are you getting on the RVs?

MaxRock

hoot
10-01-2002, 11:00
I put mine on I think when the truck had about 5000 miles on it. It has almost 37,000 now and I'm pretty darn hard on the tires. Tread is easy 60 percent.

Another fellow here at work has an older Chevy 4x4 with a set of wider RV's. He swears by them.

I'm surpised by the responses here. Maybe thay aren't so great????

MaxRock
10-01-2002, 15:53
Sounds like you're getting better wear out of the RVs vs. the ATs. That's interesting... :rolleyes:

I've read the surveys on tirerack.com. It seems the RVs do outlast the ATs. I went with the ATs because my truck is a 2WD and didn't need the RVs. If they outlast the ATs, thats what I'm buying next.

MaxRock

Jake99Z71
10-01-2002, 15:59
Joe,
I put the A/T tires on 15K ago. I have just about no where and no seperation. They are quiet, handle great in the snow and rain. At this point I would buy them again.

Joe Pool
10-01-2002, 20:19
Guys,

Thanks for the input. I will probably go with the RVs. They seem to be a pretty good compromise between my current ATs and MTs. I'll still keep the MTs for the sloppy stuff and deeper snow (they work great). The RVs will be my daily drivers.

THANKS again. smile.gif

Joe

SoCalDMAX
10-02-2002, 00:38
Hoot,

It looks like there may some difference between the RV and A/T design or compound. At first I noticed the hum of the RVs, but now don't notice it at all, and it certaily looks like they'll last longer as well as perform better in loose stuff.

Regards, Steve