PDA

View Full Version : Electric Door Locks

3-Fan
10-01-2002, 10:41
Anybody else having the problem with their door locks FLYING off when you lock or unlock the doors? I have pushed the tabs out several times and they still won't stay in the door. One of these days I'm gonna lose one.

Just curious.

GMC D-Max
10-01-2002, 10:46
Sorry, but...

HUH?!?

Never had any door locks "fly off" of my rig. What exactly is happening on yours?

DucksnDiesel
10-01-2002, 10:54
Yes, I have had the same problem on the passenger side. After fixing the tabs a dozen times, I decided to use a small amount of super glue to secure the plastic piece to the door fabric. Be careful not to get any on the metal pin or the plastic piece will be there for good (and that will make it impossible to take the door cover off in the future). The piece has stayed on for about 4 months since I did that. I know the dealer would need about 3 days to fix this complicated of a problem and if there is not a TSB on it, well let's not go there.

3-Fan
10-01-2002, 12:16
GMC D-Max,

The locks I am talking about are the little (2" x 1") pieces of plastic that slide back in forth on the inside of the door. THey show orange when the doors are unlocked and no color when the door is locked. When I put the truck in gear or into park the locks automatically lock or unlock. Or when I manally use the electric lock switch to unlock or lock the doors, the little plastic slider piece will fly off (literally)and land in numerous places insdie the truck. Under the seat, in the floor, in the little pocket on the door. I have bent the little plastic tabs to add some tension when they are in place, but it doesn't seem to hold too long.

DucksnDiesel,

Thanks for the tip. You placed a bead of super glue around the rim of the slider piece that rest right up against the fabric right? This piece doesn't need to be removed seperately in order to get the door panel off?

SoMnDMAX
10-01-2002, 12:57
3Fan, Service bulletin # 01-08-64-014 addresses the "flying lock" syndrome sometimes found on these trucks. Your dealer should be able to take care of you, as this is a warrantable (new word) claim.

GMC D-Max
10-01-2002, 12:58
AAHHHhhhh....
I know what you're talking about, now! redface.gif

I've never had one of mine fall off, but maybe that's the difference between a Chevy, and the better made, better looking GMC!! ;)

Cancerman
10-01-2002, 13:00
Mine also would fly off of the passenger side.
Had the dealer order a new one and the service consultant put it in.
So far it has stayed in place for about 4 months.

DucksnDiesel
10-01-2002, 13:15
3-Fan

I just used a few drops around the edges. Yes the piece will have to be removed to work on the door but the glue is against the fabric fuzz which can easily be sliced through if necessary without damaging the door, plastic or fabric. It beat having to deal with the dealer.

Viking
10-01-2002, 18:02
Just use a heat gun to heat the tabs and bend them out. It will then stay in place.(has on mine)

Maverick
10-01-2002, 19:15
His happened on my 3500 when it was fairly new. It was on the pass. side also. Whats up with that? Anyway....dealer warranty. Got a new one.

chuntag95
10-02-2002, 14:47
Had the same problem on the passenger side. I swapped out the one on the back door with the front until I could get to the dealer for a new one. My 15 month old didn't complain about not having the unlock capability. :D Though of that after it ejected right out the driver's window. :eek:

[ 10-02-2002: Message edited by: chuntag95 (Chris) ]</p>

bwhuntr
10-02-2002, 17:51
GM HAS A NEW REPLACEMENT PART FOR THE AIRBORNE LOCK SYNDROME. HAS BIGGER TABS ON THE EDGES. DON'T HAVE PART NUMBERS BUT ANY COMPETENT PARTS DEPARTMENT WILL KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. BRING IN THE OLD ONE AND COMPARE IT TO A NEW ONE, IT WILL BE NOTICEABLY DIFFERENT ON THE TABS. THEY WILL KEEP THE OLD ONE AND COVER YOU UNDER WARRANTY. DID IT WITH MINE AND THERE WAS A LOUD AUDIBLE CLICK WHEN THE NEW ONE WAS PUT IT. HASN'T FALLEN OFF YET AFTER 3 MONTHS OF ROUGH ROADS AND DOOR SLAMMING.