PDA

View Full Version : Allison Leak starting slowly

Gobbler
05-09-2002, 11:11
My allison has just begun to leak @ 15000 miles. Serviced Frday and noticed a drop of fluid on the bottom of the spin-on. Closer inspection revealed more fluid on the bottom of the transmission. Took it to dealer Monday morning. They found fluid 1 qt. low and replaced it along with dye. Cleaned it well and then drove it. No sign of leak. I drove it home and hooked up my fifth wheel and drove around 20 miles. Still no sign of a leak. This morning, after driving without the trailer for another 60 miles, I again found fluid. Back to the dealer. Discovered that leak was coming from inside and dripping out the weephole near the spin-on. Said they would probably need to remove the transmission to find the source but they are going to call tech for advise. I am expecting a call from them this afternoon.
I have read other posts of massive amounts of fluid leaking but mine is not even dripping on the concrete overnight. Do you think that I have caught mine early and that, unrepaired, it will soon escalate into the large amounts that others have reported? We were planning to leave Monday for a 3,000 mile trip towing the 5er but I guess that out.

AlaskaDmax
05-09-2002, 11:40
Gobbler,

Please keep us posted on this one.

I changed my spin on filter last night. While I was under the truck ( used a service pit ) I of course looked at every square inch of the truck underneath. The bottom of my allison was "wet" with oil film. No drips or anything like that but it was gunked. So I wiped everything clean and am going to inspect again in a day or so. I am curious in regard to yours, sounds like mine but with maybe a little more oil movement.

Thanks in advance.

Piney
05-09-2002, 13:35
Gobbler,

Mine has done the EXACT same thing. I noticed literally 1 drop at the bottom of the filter for the first 5000 miles. I replaced the spin on filter at about 7000 miles and it did the same thing. Just a small drip at the bottom of filter. I looked under there today and the entire filter is covered with fluid (I now have 8800 miles). I guess it's off to the service dept.....Keep us posted on what you find out...

Gobbler
05-09-2002, 14:34
I just spoke with the service manager who has spoken with GM. He says, "They want it pulled out" to see where it's coming from. If it's a pump, new seal, etc. If it the "case" then a new transmission. I'll be there when they open on Monday and they are going to provide me with a ride. Won't be taking the trip.

tysmith
05-09-2002, 15:30
I've noticed mine shows signs of a little weepage around the inspection cover under the torque converter. It's not wet, just dirty-oily looking. I wonder if I'm in for a longer ride...

Ty

Gobbler
05-09-2002, 18:31
Spoke with the service manager again late this afternoon. Decided to take it in first thing tomorrow and let them get started. They should be able to pull it out and hopefully determine cause tomorrow. If they are going to replace it they can order it tomorrow and we will be ahead 1 day.
They are also going to replace the bearing set others spoke about that is supposed to end the front end rattle.
So far, I'm impressed with the service department.

gdblake
05-10-2002, 04:52
Mine leaked the 1st night I brought it home. Returned to the dealer and it was a loose cooler line. Leaked the 2nd night, returned, and it was a small screw just to the right of the filter, on the bottom of the transmission. They backed it out, sealed the treads (teflon tape??) and so far the transmission is dry. Hope that repair was OK and doesn't mean something is wrong with it. That was 3 1/2 weeks ago, but I only have 1100 miles on the truck.

Gobbler
05-10-2002, 14:57
Just got a call from the service manager who said that my leak was coming from the front seal of the pump. All bolts were tight and apparently not leaking. Case appeared to be good. Will replace seal Monday. If it should continue to leak, they will install a new transmission.

Vincent
05-10-2002, 21:58
http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=003185

Check this thread for what I went through on my tranny too. I have my truck back finally. The Tech installed new seals inside the bell housing under the heads of all the bolts.

He also installed new crush washers and loc-tited all of the threads.

This was all in accordance with a technical bulletin put out by GM/Allison....so they know they have a problem in this area.

The good news? So far I have no more leakage. I even went so far as to hook my trailer up and tow it around town all weekend long to give the tranny a workout.

Still looks good...keepin my fingers crossed.

Gobbler
05-15-2002, 04:59
Well, I got it back. Seal on pump was replaced and more dye was put in. I'll keep an eye on it and return it if the leak shows up again.

TXAtty
05-15-2002, 12:21
Does anyone know the service bulletin # for this problem?

Gobbler
05-22-2002, 17:59
Well, we went on our trip south after having the pump seal replaced. Stopped in Savanah the first night and checked under the transmission and there it was. Another drop of fluid coming from the weephole. Next morning I called the service manager and told him what was happening. He told me to keep a check on the fluid level, buy some fluid if needed and he would reimburse me. Meanwhile, he would get advise from GM. Got back last night and service manager called today to say that they were going to replace the transmission. It has been ordered from Allison and he will call me when it comes in. I'm very happy with this service department.

Gobbler
06-08-2002, 05:35
UPDATE! Well, several changes since my last post. Since this was the first Allison that my service department had problems with, manager thought it would be a simple matter to order a new transmission as for any other Chevy product. WRONG! GM had other ideas. They decided that they wanted additional information before authorizing replacement. I can certainly understand that with such an expensive and newly-introduced transmission they would want to know that it was a manufacturing defect before replacing it. Anyhow, after losing their argument with GM the dealer asked me to bring it in for removal. Gave me a 1500 to drive while they removed transmission again and this time replaced all o-rings and copper washers on the bolts. I got it back and drove it for 2 days and there it was again- the little red drip was back. I called the dealer and told him, he called GM and told them and GM decided that they would replace it. Dealer called yesterday to say that the new Allison had arrived and we will talk Monday about when to bring it in for replacement. smile.gif

oneton
06-08-2002, 06:35
That is some awesome service. I wish I could get service like that. Instead I get a dealership that lifted my truck and crushed the running boards. :( #1 complaint here in FL is with mechanics. Goodluck with the tranny.

Oneton
94 6.5 TD Rocky Ridge conversion

Gobbler
06-13-2002, 14:49
UPDATE! I took the truck in yesterday and picked it up today. Could have gotten it yesterday except that they replaced the steering bearing (hope that cures the rattle), too. Anyway, they have replaced the Allison with a new one. Old one is going in for study, I'm told. Now I've got to go through the break-in period again before towing my 5th wheel. But, except for the inconvenience and the mileage to and from the dealer for so many trips, I'm happy. Dealer's service department has been a pleasure to work with but I sure hope this cures it. :D

Diesel to the MAX
06-13-2002, 15:29
Gobbler, I