PDA

View Full Version : Alley Alley

mackin
10-03-2002, 15:54
All righty then !!!!!!!

I checked my tranny fluid today and it looked odd ......
But up to snuff.....Plus had the OLE familiar SWEET smell !!!!!
I did they Deep pan flush and refill with Castrol synthetic at approx. 7/8000....Should of wrote it down......

The question is.....I drained it and changed the spin on today at 20,000....Premature I know, but I thought it looked odd!!!!!! So I wanted to see what's up......I am kinda tuff on it ...... :eek:

I didn't have a problem with doing it as Allison made it oh so simple.....Took longer to gather supplies then the actual draining and refill.....

CT guys pay attention Hines Brothers in Southbury is where not to go, but Detroit Diesel Allison in Middletown is.....Trynsnd at Hines $50 bucks a gallon, at Detroit Diesel $27 and change.....Talk about a rip off .....Allison spin on at stealer, still $21 bucks, Detroit Diesel less then $8 bucks bought 4, two for me, two for my buddy, $31 bucks.......

Now what should I look for in my fluid as the COLOR goes???? My magnet was all most clean.......Way dirtier at 5000 my first filter change...I have two separate small containers of FRESH synthetic and what I drained from OLD filter.....They don't even look close in color..... :confused: My batteries are dead in camera but charging .....

So what did anyone else see there FLUID look like at a service??? Synthetic that is.....

Should it LIGHTEN??? DARKEN???? It looked ORANGE'IE on the stick prior to changing .......But it was?????

MAC

Yes, my tranny was and is acting normal ......I really wanted to see what 15k of JUICE'IN was doing ,best I could with filter change and a fluid dumper......
:rolleyes:

Deep pan,spin on filter drain ,refill 2.5 gallons.....PRRRRFECT !!!!!!!

[ 10-03-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

mackin
10-05-2002, 18:55
I got PICS up under more D/A PICS.......Gonna need a little dialog here......Have more PICS to put up......
What's what and who's who........Don't look if your scared !!!!!!!

MAC :D

Left to right =&gt; Conventional unused,Synthetic with 13/14000,unused synthetic.......Last PIC is reverse order.....

[ 10-05-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

pepperidge
10-05-2002, 20:29
I'd bring that to the allison place to get their opinion.
I don't like the looks of it, not for a product that it supposed to extend drain intervals up to 60,000mi.

Did you do the complete system flush initially when you switched to the transynd or just the pan and filter(internal & externaal spin-on) when you put the deep pan on? I know you said it maid a big mess when you put the extended pick up tube on.

Maybe SteveO can weigh in on this if he happens to drop in.

Good luck,

P.S. Thanks for the heads up om this. I think I'll Bleed a little out of mine to see what it looks like.

mackin
10-06-2002, 05:03
pepperidge,

My sentiments exactley.......Drop the spin on for a sample.......Some one ought a chime in I hope ....

Never got it above a duece in temp......
Never limped her.......
No towing.......Well minimal......Empty car trailer......
20k on the clock ,13k on synthetic,dirty as hell......
Did the flush......
Lots of city driving all though......

MAC :confused:

Toddster
10-06-2002, 05:42
Jeez Mac I must be the buddie you are talking about ? (blushing) Get'er checked ! Also IMHO Castrol Syn is not realy a Syn the government just lets them say it is on the label. Mobil has had them in court over this issue and will eventually win. They "cheat" by synthesizing a mineral base oil to its purest form then adding thier addative package. Mobil says this is not a true synthetic oil and I agree. Not saying it is a bad oil, its not, but when I buy a synthetic I want a Synthetic !

mackin
10-06-2002, 12:08
Toddster

Well I switched to Transynd solely because it was recommend by Allison as the only oil that they would honor on a warranty issue..Not that Allison will warranty my tranny but if they say it so, it must be so, I would hope...Now they have a laundry list of approved juices.....Be that as it may, I may be switching for a better synthetic as this point.....I was behind on my spin on change by a little more then double the mileage but that shouldn't be an issue.......

I guess I'll call Detroit Diesel drop off a sample see if they can run some sort of analysis.....

I just don't quite under stand why it would darken so much....Still waiting for someone to go drain off a few OZ running synthetic,for comparison......Anyone close to a filter change????

MAC

deadlyman
10-10-2002, 04:28
Just changed my fluid looks just like new no burnning smell or any change in color I'm using amsoil fluid little expensive but worth it and I've done alot of tranny services in the past (worcked at service station and di mainly tranny services)hope this helps
Bob

mackin
10-11-2002, 05:14
deadlyman

If you would,what did you take out ?????Factory Dextron lll ,or Amsoil?? I'm gonna flush mine again not sure what I was gonna swap to......Something synthetic again tho.....

MAC

77TransAm
10-11-2002, 09:58
Transynd colors very differently from non-synthetic as it ages. Ours usually comes out looking mostly clear with a slightly brownish or orangish tint to it. Have yet to see that this is the sign of any problems with the fluid.

mackin
10-11-2002, 12:25
77TransAm

Where the hell were you $84 bucks ago??????? :(

Just kidding, thanks for the info as mine looks that way orangie tint with a subtle tint of brown when rolled up the side of a clear container like a fine wine .......Now what are your thoughts about the darkening to a deep red did you see the PICS???? The sample of unused synthetic was from the same container I did the flush with 12/13 k ago.....I wonder if 4 out of the 5 containers I used were darker in color???Or is it just heat related??Again I have to say temps never exceeded 200 on the gauge.....

One thing I can say is it DOES not smell burnt......I went to HINES Brothers for more abuse to ask about the matter and about an oil analysis,they looked at me like I was QUEER or something....See-ya tanks for nuttin.....

I have 2.5 gallons available for testing..... :eek:
I was going to reuse in clunkers and tow motors at work......Of course Dextron lll compatible....

MAC

mackin
10-16-2002, 16:21
OK

Couldn't let it rest.......Got some more info and was extremely helpful.....Point is my belief it is an OK......Changed fluid for nuttin.....Orange is no problem was even told under severe duty other colors are prevalent no sense in getting into as we won't see....Any hoo I risked my limbs and cut my Allison filter open that I removed with this change of mysterious color made me change it at 13,000.....=&gt;http://www.pbase.com/mackin/xmission_oil_

Clean as a friggen whistle........Go figure ......What a waste of $8 bucks...... :rolleyes: And 3 gallons of Transynd ditto on the rolling eyes....So hammer down boys......

MAC smile.gif

hoot
10-16-2002, 19:26
mackin,

It does wonders for the consience. Now you know its clean and fresh.

mackin
10-16-2002, 19:37
Hoot

Yes, it does...I gained some useful knowledge too on the Allison...That spin on filter GUTS, and magnets is a tell tale sign of a healthy or not Allison......Next up, I'm cutting open a used oil filter....YE HAW !!!!!!

MAC :eek:

Oh hey the default counter (7) is a thumbs down.....We got to break the news to you know who!!!!!!!! Kabesh??? LOL

So I was informed.....

[ 10-16-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Joe.G
10-17-2002, 17:38
Mackin
I have changed mine twice at 68000 miles, whoops, once on this tranny with 46000 miles and it has come out perfect everytime. There was nothing but fuzz on the magnet and the fluid looked perfect. I'm using Amsoil in mine so we shall see how it goes. By the way, you don't drive any harder than I do.
I use this fluid in a powerglide hooked up to an 800+ hp engine in a dragster and it works great.