PDA

View Full Version : Allison Fluid Level Check Confusing

Road Kill
10-03-2002, 16:01
Another dumb question but here it is. The diesel supplement book that comes with the truck says cold reading should show on cold hash marks then get transmission up to temp. and check hot. That reading should be half way on hot hash marks. Mine when read cold shows a reading up on hot hash marks, when running and at temp it reads about half way on the cold hash marks. I am confused and anyone reading this may be too. lol Can anyone straighten me out. I just changed the filter and filled the new one before putting it back on. I thought this would be close to the way it was before I started. Thanks for any input. :confused:

Robertaz
10-03-2002, 17:10
Good timing. I checked my xmission fluid today and encountered the same readings. Does anyone have the answer?

Mic
10-03-2002, 17:35
Road Kill

When you checked it cold, The engine was running and you just went P-R-N-D-N-R-P then check 'twice' (at least).... correct?

Like wise, do the same procedure above AFTER tranny temp is 'hot'

chuntag95
10-03-2002, 18:30
I agree with Mic on the methodology. I just changed mine Sunday and it was in the cold marks with the engine running when I first started up. I drove around for 30 minutes or so and checked it hot and found I needed another 1.5 quarts to be right in the middle of the hot hash marks. smile.gif Hope this helps you out some. :D

Paintdude
10-03-2002, 18:50
The ideal way is to replace the same anount you take out..Drain and measure what you remove, then fill with same amount..

I check my fluid once when new and do not check it again unless it leaks or till a change..I park on concrete..

Just the way I do it..Hope this helps.. smile.gif

Road Kill
10-03-2002, 20:34
Thanks guys I did it wrong. Cold check was engine off and no shifting. I will do it the right way and see what happens. I did not do any shifting when transmission was hot either. Thanks to all. :rolleyes:

Road Kill
10-03-2002, 21:01
Mic: Just cheked it cold like you said and it is on the hash marks. Will check it hot tommorow. Man I don't know what I would do with out this forum, and do I feel dumb. Thanks again. :rolleyes: