PDA

View Full Version : That D*@# Squeky Clutch

mackey_62
10-04-2002, 09:07
Anyone have an update?

A few guys were going back and forth with stealer about a month ago, anybody get anywhere yet?

I've noticed my pedal is a little quiter lately (cooler weather?) but still have squeek every disengage. Sounds like inside tranny, not pedal.

I'm NOT letting anyone rip my dash apart. Wondering if I'm just going to live with it.

How about you '03 guys? Any clutch issues w/you yet?

DeepVee
10-04-2002, 10:05
Sorry don't have any new info, but I just had the entire pedal assembly on my 01' replaced. At 16,000 miles I got the infamous spring pop. I didn't want to remove the spring so I took it in to the dealer for a replacement pedal. The dealer kept the truck for a week claiming it was unsafe to drive. The new assembly does not squeak but I'm sure it will eventually.

[ 10-04-2002: Message edited by: DeepVee ]</p>

MaxRock
10-04-2002, 10:28
mackey_62...I posted the other day the my squeaky clutch had "healed itself". Well, I have found since the post that the sqeek is temperature related. We had a week of cooler weather and the noise went away. This past week the weather got back into the low 90's and guess what...It's back! :rolleyes:

I'm not really excited about the dealer ripping my dash apart to replace the clutch pedal assembly. One of the many things I love about this truck is the interior is tight and doesn't rattle. I want it to stay this way as long as possible. I guess I'll live with it until someone on this forum comes up with a fix for this problem.

Happy Shifting!!! ;)

MaxRock

GMCTRUCK
10-04-2002, 10:37
Mackey, my 03 clutch did squeak at first. Now at 1200 miles the squeak is gone, but I'm not sure when exactly it stopped. It was definitely the pedal assembly on mine and it is colder now than when I got the truck. I was surprised to find the pedal assembly was plastic. Are the 01-02s plastic also?

mackey_62
10-04-2002, 11:17
Yeah, they're all plastic :rolleyes:

Definitly looks like cold is helping, I got mine in Feb. and don't remember it squeeking then either.

DeepVee, good luck with the dash. Good luck with the new pedal too. I imagine she'll be squeekin' right back to normal when the grease wears off :mad:

MaxRock, I'll definitly live with it, no dash-ripping here!
You know what I'm talking about with the other squeek though?
Not the pedal, this one sounds like its internal. (yes I have 2 squeeks)
Only while disengaging, maybe throwout, slave, ??? I don't know...but it's inside the tranny. And it's not going away with cold weather :mad:

chuntag95
10-04-2002, 12:20
Have you tried using a silicone spray? It would be safe on the plastic. A grease would be even better, like the dielectric. Don't buy the GM stuff. It cost me $9 from the stealer for a little bitty tube. :mad: Got the Allison, so I haven't looked at a pedal assembly real close to be any more help than that. It's a shot in the dark, I know. :rolleyes:

[ 10-04-2002: Message edited by: chuntag95 (Chris) ]</p>

MaxRock
10-04-2002, 13:11
mackey_62,

I don't believe I'm familiar with the second squeak. Mine doesn't make that noise...I don't think. I will pay closer attention now that you mentioned it.

Could it be the throw out bearing? Does the noise occur when you start putting pressure on the clutch pedal? Curious!

MaxRock

needbigtruck
10-05-2002, 01:53
I posted a while back on the stiffness of the clutch pedal after driving a long way without shifting. Since my last post the Dealer has ordered a new master and slave cylinder for me (I think because they mistakenly put DOT 3 not 4 in there) They had tried to tell me my truck was unsafe also. We were leaving for a trip to Florida the next day and I didn't leave the truck. Since then I have been putting them off saying that I need the truck. I also don't want them tearing stuff apart in the hopes that they fix this problem. I think the squeak and the hard pedal are all related and GM hasn't figured it out yet. Probably because none of us want to be the guinea pig. Something related to the throw out bearing is 1. causing the squeak, and 2. causing the hard pedal. Like the squeak my hard pedal problem has essentially gone away now that the weather is cooler (I also have been replacing the fluid on a regular bases). Hopefully the problem will be nailed down and we can all get our trucks fixed, but at this point I am not sure I can get the dealer to go back to GM technical to investigate.

mackey_62
10-07-2002, 06:35
MaxRock,
Squeek is when you release pedal.
Try this....
Engine off, press pedal in and out a couple times. Mine is very obvious, squeek every time you let pedal back out. Try it with door open, better yet have someone else run the pedal while your under truck....mine is making noise IN the tranny.
I'm thinking throwout bearing is very likely the cause....Noise and hard pedal.

Needbigtruck, your right I'm not willing to let stealer tie up my truck while they take pot shots at "fixing" it.

Red Diesel
10-07-2002, 07:14
I've had three pedals put in mine since new (Nov. 02) The last time back in July I carried it back to have it lubed since it started squeaking and since the tech said he needed to lube the ball joint on the slave cylinder, he had to take it apart under the hood. When he did the nylon/plastic ball on the rod just crumbled. This left me on a July, 4 week driving a loaner car until a new part could be got. When it was re-assembled it squeaked worse. My dealer's service dept. couldn't do anymore. After threatening GM that I would start a buy-back they asked if I would let another dealer look into it first. I agreed and that dealer replaced the same part and to this day the pedal is "sqeakless" and "creakless" and that is almost three months in hot Georgia weather. Heat makes the creaking worse when it occurs as many have found out. The pedal still gets hard to press after the truck runs long on a trip without pressing the clutch for long periods of time.