PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Allison Question

ram/tx
05-12-2002, 16:40
I have read where you guys recommend too change the Allison Tran. filter at the 5000 mile mark. Now my dumb question. Are you talking about the spin on filter or is there a filter inside of the pan I need to change? All the filters I have changer on gas motor automatics, the filter has been in the pan. Is there a filter inside of the Allison pan that has to be changed besides the spin on filter? :confused:

stretch
05-12-2002, 16:48
nope, spin on only. Internal only nec. at overhaul.

SledZep
05-12-2002, 16:58
DO NOT FORGET TO SAVE THE MAGNETIC RING ON THE FILTER!!!
I wrote "MAGNET" on all 6 sides of the filter boxes when I bought some....

ram/tx
05-14-2002, 17:12
Thanks Stretch and SledZep for the Information. I have 3000 miles on her now, so I will change the Filter at 5000 miles. Ain't life great!!!!

DMAX4LIFE
05-15-2002, 07:44
So you never have to change the internal filter?

johns
05-15-2002, 08:01
Where do you guys buy your transmission filters from?

Allison Jettester
05-15-2002, 09:00
johns,

Go to http://www.allisontransmission.com/ and click on SALES AND SERVICES LOCATOR at the top of the page. You will find several dealer locations but only go to Distributers with the Allison logo on the map. They will sell the filters for around $8.00. Dealers sell it for around $40. Your choice.

Joe

AlaskaDmax
05-15-2002, 09:13
Dmax4life,

On edit****See below, DMaxMav points out that sleep is imperitive to proper brain function****

My bad.

Do a search for filters, much discussion on these forums about it...

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: AlaskaDmax ]</p>

DmaxMaverick
05-15-2002, 09:38
AlaskaDmax...HUH???

That sounds like the recommendation for the "other than Allison" trannies. Allison states the internal filter should only be replaced at overhaul. They say you can change it as often as you like, but it is not necessary, and a waste of time and money, and there would be no benefit.

Jomar
05-15-2002, 22:05
johns, I just bought 4 trans. filters from my local Stewart& Stevenson store , who is a allison tranny dealer among other things. Cost $ 7.95 ea.

Heartbeat Hauler
05-16-2002, 14:11
DMAX4LIFE,
I don't think there is a filter inside per se(correct me if I'm wrong) I think there is a screen only and doesn't require regular maintanence.
JP

mbrower
05-16-2002, 20:51
My local Allison repair shop recommended I replace the internal filter/screen at the first fluid change and then not again untill overhaul. Said it collect trash during break-in and needed to be replaced.

Mark

01_Duramax_Dually
05-17-2002, 08:04
Now this is only me, But I would change the spin on filter after 500 miles, then again at 5K. You will be surprised what develops during break in of anything mechanical.
The spin on filter take 2 minutes and you can prefill it so you replace exactly what was lost.

I know... I know, some will say "Do not pre-fill this filter" but that is just not true. If you are not throwing sand and dirt or doing this in a wind storm in a field there is nothing to this and you remove the chance of introducing an air bubble into the line.

I would also recommend at the 5K change you add the deeper pan and transdyn synthetic ATF. This also requires you to replace the screen filter which I think should be done out of good practice.

If you need the P/N's for the Allison deep pan addition they are on my website listed in my sig below..