PDA

View Full Version : Truck maintenance

wxmn6
10-04-2002, 16:23
Just curious to see how many of you guys do basic maintenance such as LOF, etc. and those that do not and bring it in the shop and have the technician do it? And why?

AKDmax
10-04-2002, 17:04
I try to do any and all maintenance that requires more than a second grade education. Why, because the dealer technicians (see moron in the dict.) seem to be able to screw up a simple oil change by either forgetting the oil cap, putting in the wrong oil, or too much :mad: . There was also a recent post about the Tech. not being able to find all 11 zerks. Still paid full price for the lube I bet. I have never heard of anyone that has had trouble getting warranty service, as long as you keep good records and receipts. Refer to the post concerning GM service departments if you need details that lead most to do their own maintenance. This will bring many responses, probably both for and against self service.

[ 10-04-2002: Message edited by: AKDmax ]</p>

Pizza Man
10-04-2002, 17:15
All three of my Gmc's go to the shop every 3500-4000 miles...almost 400k combined and all still running.
Reason I go to the shop vs doing it at home is...I hate to do oil changes. b

deerhunter7
10-04-2002, 19:41
I've turned into a sesonal mechanic. When winter comes let someone else do it. It's kind of nice to stand there with a cup of coffee and watch them
Their real careful when you are right there. ;)

mackin
10-04-2002, 19:57
I'm in the same group as AKDmax.......

MAC :D

GMCTRUCK
10-04-2002, 22:24
I agree. Unless its absolute warranty work I refuse to let somebody else service any of my vehicle/toys. There are a few good techs out there but its not worth taking a chance. Besides, by the time you take it too the dealer and wait around to get overcharged for service you could have changed your oil yourself 5 times and still have time for a cold Bud. They don't make it easy for you though. My wifes 02 Passat has a belly pan covering the front half of the underside of the car. It took longer to remove the belly pan than to change the oil. So I got out the diegrinder and made a trap door for the oil plug.