PDA

View Full Version : For IRONHEAD

TLA
05-13-2002, 10:44
Regarding the Kelderman Air Ride, I towed a 1200 mile round trip over the weekend. We didn't have as much junk in the peak as usual, but had 4 big horses down and 5 back, and had hay and an ATV in the aisle. We ran the speed limit every chance we could (75 in NM, and 70 in Texas). The roads wre not always the best, but man, did the truck and trailer ride well. Usually the stuff in the peak moves all over, but this time, it all stayed just like it was packed. I was tired at the end of 10 1/2 hours, but the horses were better rested than when they left, and in a lot better humor. Now I need my Rancho RS9000's on the front, as it wants to propose a bit.
So, was it worth the cost? Absolutely!!

IndigoDually
05-13-2002, 11:21
TLA, So what did it cost? I pull heavy at times, 5 horse head to head with dressing room around 9800lbs empty. But I do run unloaded more and would like to know how ride is improved when empty.

Thanks, John

Ironhead
05-13-2002, 13:53
TLA, Thanks for the update on the Kelderman. I had found their web site you mentioned in an earlier post and requested info from them. I am tempted to try them, but for what they cost I wish I could know for sure they would suit my situation. I dont haul any livestock, but mostly steel, impliments, or my 5er in that order. But like Indigo dually I run light for the most part. My big concern is those times when my wife is along. She has a pinched siatic nerve in her hip and if I want her willing to go RV'ing or a drive that lasts more than 30 minutes I need to smooth my 3500 out some more. Do you think it would help in this situation? thanx...

TLA
05-14-2002, 06:28
Most of my trips are 500+ miles one way, and I have to ride the horses when I get there, so comfort is a huge issue with me. The ride improvement both empty and lightly loaded is quite dramatic - easy to forget you are driving a truck with 11,000+ GVW. It replaces the rear spring perches with a swing arm supported by air bags, which results in quite a difference in ride. I think the kit, with the level control, is about $1200. I installed it myself.
My '97 has Air Lift bags on it. With 20-30 psi, the light/empty ride is somewhat better, and with a load is dramatically better. The big thing is that the overloads are not in play. Even light, the bags do damp the springs a bit.
' Hard to recommend anything - not my money I am spending. I'll try to pay a little closer attention the next couple of days, and post again.