PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Question

chuntag95
10-05-2002, 14:32
I just changed my fuel filter at 15K miles. Since I saw pictures of someone else's cut open, I just HAD to pull our the sawzall :D :D What I saw was dark media all the way up where the holes are around the two sides at the top of the filter. Where there were no holes, it was dark about 1/3 of the way up. The dark patter was kinda like a pringles potato chip. Can anyone give feedback on if I waited too long or if I pulled it too quickly? :confused: All opinions are greatly apreciated.

Luis
10-06-2002, 06:37
Chris......I'm no expert, but I would say it was from some dirt in fuel passing through and sounds like the filter was doing a good job and you have good fuel. I did the same with my last filter change. Sounds exactly the same. Remember, 15k is the recomendation. It's OK to change early, and you can clog a filter with any dirty fuel, at any mileage. Keep a spare or two and the necessary tools in the truck just incase. It can get you going faster than waiting for road-side service.

Idle_Chatter
10-06-2002, 07:00
Sounds like you're okay, Rick, and Luis is right on the money that a bad tank of fuel will ruin a filter at 5 or 5,000 miles. I'm the one that most recently posted my cut open second filter change (30,000 miles). I bought 5 filters from Diesel Injection Services and changed out my OEM at 17,000 without taking it apart. I plan to stay to the recommended 15,000 miles as long as I don't get or suspect a tank of contaminated fuel. Media dark all the way up at the holes is because that's where the fuel enters the filter. It comes into that "gallery" in the top of the filter and flows down the two sets of holes into the can. The float and drain are at the bottom of the can to intercept and warn about water. Fuel goes through the media into the center of the filter and clean fuel is drawn out of the center by the probe that seats in that heavy rubber center ring. Sounds like your filter looked a lot like mine and I'm a believer on the 15K change.