PDA

View Full Version : Powerwasher 'ate' the bowtie logo on front grille

c5dura
06-30-2003, 07:05
I was washing my truck yesterday and used a powerwasher for the wheel wells and undercarriage and decided it would also make short work of getting rid of all the dead bugs on the front end. Only problem was it worked a little to well. The water went behind the clear cover where the bowtie logo is and peeled away some of the gold covered bowtie logo, revealing the black plastic underneat.

Do I have to buy a whole new front grille to fix it? (I don't think the clear cover comes off easily to facilitate replacing the gold bowtie)

If so, is there an aftermarked alternative to this entire cheap plastic chromed over OEM piece? I know they make billet inserts, but as far as I know, none of them replace the entire grille, just the part the air flow through.

mackin
06-30-2003, 07:21
Just the Bow-tie .... If you remove the upper plastic,same style pins as wheel well,you'll see the fastners ...There is a few aftermarket ones out ....

Mac :D :D :D

chuntag95
06-30-2003, 08:02
You can buy just the bowtie from GM. As I recall, it cost more to ship it than buy it. Silver Bullet gave me the part number 88892713. It has the black surround with the gold center.

c5dura
06-30-2003, 08:28
Cool. So what you're saying is that if I pop the whole front grille off, I can pop off the bowtie clear plastic cover and peel off the bowtie sticker behind it and replace it with a new one and then put the clear cover back over it again? That's good news as that bowtie sticker can't be more than a couple of bucks.

chuntag95
06-30-2003, 09:21
You pop off the bowtie itself. The assembly is a the black surround and the gold center. It attaches to the "crome" in the center. I want to say it was 12 or 17 bucks from Parts direct. I guess you could pry out the center piece and put a different sticker on it or behind it. I just an American Flag over mine and just trimmed it to shape. I have had 3 people ask where they could get one. :D I tell them I made it.

DMAX Daddy
06-30-2003, 09:23
My Dealer has some nice Billet Bow Ties.

mackin
06-30-2003, 09:25
Originally posted by c5dura:
Cool. So what you're saying is that if I pop the whole front grille off, I can pop off the bowtie clear plastic cover and peel off the bowtie sticker behind it and replace it with a new one and then put the clear cover back over it again? That's good news as that bowtie sticker can't be more than a couple of bucks. You should be able to access by only removing plastic cover between Rad and grill ......The cover with the serpentine routing pic on it,you had it off when you went ditch scouting .... :eek:
Remove the clips,the ones you attach winter cover to,and the ones farther back on top ....

I removed mine (cover) when I installed the KD bright light harness ....

Mac ;)

c5dura
06-30-2003, 10:09
Sounds like it will be pretty easy to pop off and Mackin you're right, I sure did have all that stuff off the truck before. Just never paid attention to the fact that the emblem will come off by itself. Not having to remove the whole grille is nice since that would be a bit tricky with the winch and brush guard that wasn't there before.

Might look into a billet one...

C5dura

VFRRider
06-30-2003, 16:23
If your looking for a billet, try here, Stylin Concepts (http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.cfm/partfamilyid/175/CategoryID/25/SubCategoryID/132).
I was thinking of it myself, but I'd want to match the billet front emblem with billet bowties on the side emblems, but I don't think anyone makes em.

oyazi
06-30-2003, 18:32
Priced mine ~ was $20. Had the dealer replace it under warranty while working my busy shifting issue.

c5dura
07-01-2003, 14:42
I stopped by the stealer at lunch (not even the one I purchased the truck from), and they will get me a new one for free. Coolness!

(Of course I didn't tell them how it got to looking the way it did)

C5dura

DieselDixon
07-01-2003, 16:22
I was going to suggest putting a GMC logo on it, they seem to look pretty rugged.