PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on hard tonneau covers .....

Plasticfantastic
12-29-2001, 16:53
I've looked at the roll ups and the solids w/gas lifts. Some solids fit on top of the rails (bed sides) and some fit flush with the bed sides w/ a wide rubber gasket all the way around.
My concerns are weather resistance and security.
What are you guys paying for the different types?

------------------
-------------------------
MEMBER #6086
2001 2500HD CC D/A Onyx/Tan
2001 Z06 Torch red (SOLD!)
2002 Z06 Torch red 405HP!

Barry Schrantz
12-29-2001, 18:56
Try www.Peragon.com (http://www.Peragon.com)
Use my name and you can save the tax and the shipping charge.
1-877-4PERAGON toll free

------------------
2002 black Chevy 2500HD ext. cab 4X4, D/A,17X8 Eagle Alloy 118's, Pro Comp 33X12.50's no lifting no cutting

Plasticfantastic
12-29-2001, 20:18
I LIKE! Thanks, Barry.
Simple is ALWAYS better. Can you e-mail me with price and how long it takes to get? Also, what's your opinion on how strong it is when closed (weight bearing)?
flameon@midsouth.rr.com

------------------
MEMBER #6086

mark45678
12-29-2001, 22:31
Plastic....
I have a roll-n-lock top on mine . I like the versitilty of being able to roll it back or lock it up at a moments notice. good quaility reasonable price(paid 850 localy) have seen on line for 700+ tax,freight.my loss. first class piece there maybe a better on I just havent found it !this product is much better then pace set up.

------------------
01 GMC K 2500 HD D/A Xcab polo green loaded
JL audio bumper to bumper
luverne stainless nerf's
ispro egt and boost gauge
roll-n-lock cover

98 k-2500 6.5td 3.73,
3 inch exhaust&cross over
no cat!
jk boost control w/#13 chip
K&N
GM boost gage
Isspro EGT
TRADED IN.....on 2001hd

93-C2500 6.5td
3" exhaust
K&N
tweeked pump
boost control
170k with minor problems

Y2K honda CBR1100xx nutbike

ChevysRus
12-29-2001, 22:51
I have a Stockland hard top and I like it just fine. Easy to take off when I need the full bed space height. Strong enough that I can walk on it when cleaning the roof of the cab. Has 2 locks on side makes it stronger when locked. Never leaked and I have been into some heavy rain with it. Cost $600 for S/B Ext Cab model and comes painted your choice of colors to match the truck. Had this on my 99 GMC and moved it to my DMAX no problem (both Pewter go figure that one ha ha)

If you want a hard lid, I think the Stockland is a great lid.

Corey S
12-30-2001, 00:46
I ended up with a SnugLid, even after comparing it to several other brands. It's fiberglass, painted to match the truck, and it has one of the simplest sets of mounting hardware. No hole drilling required. I can't imagine it would leak, but I've only had it for a couple weeks. It was about $850 installed, including tax.

You can find a couple pics in the link in my signature.

------------------
Corey S
------------------
Ordered 2500HD on 9/24/01, TPW 11/19/01, Picked up 12/10/01:
2002 Indigo Blue/Graphite Chev 2500HD D/A 2WD ExtCab LB LS w/everything except leather or buckets.
Add-ons: Line-X bedliner, SnugLid Pictures (http://www.imolaracing.com/images/2500hd)
2000 Audi S4 racecar (about 350hp): Blew turbos at Laguna Seca on 12/14/01.

stretch
12-30-2001, 06:20
I used a Leer 700 hard tonneau which has a single centered push to open automotive style lock and quick releases to remove the top. The underside has carpetting and it seems to be very sturdy (heavy) price was $900.00 installed and painted.

------------------
PROUD AMERICAN If you don't LOVE this country - LEAVE

2001 2500HD LS Ext.Cab,short bed,D-max,Allison, Onyx black w/graphite int.Leer 700 hard tonneau,16X8 Eagle Alloys w/265-75-16 Coopers, Powerplay from Kennedy diesel

1988 K1500 shortbed stepside Paxton supercharged 4" Trailmaster lift w/33" tires

2001 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO

HD Hauling
12-30-2001, 16:23
Plastic-I have a hard folding cover on mine.This is the second one that I had and I like them both.
Their are 2 companies that sell them.One is The Advance Cover and the other is Fold-A-Cover.
They sre easy to pit on and the price is around $500.
I pull a 5th wheel and I like it best that the cover opens on both ends and in the front of the box I keep my fire wood where it stays dry even when pulling in rain.
The only place that gets wet is back by the tail gate when I go through the car wash.
1-877-734-8262 is the number for the Advance Cover.
The Fold-A-Cover is the one that GM sells.There are other dealers that sell them also.
Have a good Year
HD

Plasticfantastic
12-30-2001, 19:41
Thanks for all the tips, guys!
I guess its like everything else, personal preference. I like the fold-ups for their ease of removal, like the fiberglass for their serious duty construction. Guess I really have to figure what I'm gonna haul. (like you could ever plan what somebodys gonna ask you to haul) http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
MEMBER #6086

Barry Schrantz
01-01-2002, 04:54
Plasticfantastic,
My price on the Peragon was $795 with the tax and shipping. They said 4-6 wks. to ship.
The thing that sold me on this cover is that GM is using it on their Professional Plus concept truck.
The GMC Professional (1st concept) is being produced now.
This is also the only hard cover that works with GM Accessories' Trac Rac bed rack without modification or fabrication.

------------------
2002 black Chevy 2500HD ext. cab 4X4, D/A,17X8 Eagle Alloy 118's, Pro Comp 33X12.50's no lifting no cutting

[This message has been edited by Barry Schrantz (edited 01-01-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Barry Schrantz (edited 01-01-2002).]

Barry Schrantz
01-01-2002, 05:09
Plasticfantastic,
I forgot to mention that once the Peragon is open, it can be removed by only pulling two quick release pins. Try that with any other hard cover

------------------

Plasticfantastic
01-01-2002, 10:20
Thanks again Barry, still undecided. Trying to figure out whats gonna work best for me with all the input I've received.

------------------
MEMBER #6086

Dakota
01-01-2002, 21:27
Went with a Retrax rigid retractable. I like the glossy lexan look. Seems to be a good quality build and has handled the temperature extremes well so far. Also has good seals to keep out dust and moisture. By mentioning I found out about Retrax on this site, they came down a hundred to $789.

http://www.rolltopcover.com/home.html

------------------
2002 2500HD LT CC SB D/A, Line-X, ReTrax

8.1 HD
01-02-2002, 09:20
Barry Schrantz, I noticed in your second post on this topic you gave the okay to use your name to save on tax, etc. I was wondering if that offer was for everyone or just Plastic, I too am still looking for a retractable cover and believe I might have just found the one I want!

------------------
01 2500HD cc/sb 8.1/alli/loaded
http://community.webshots.com/user/8100hd

Plasticfantastic
01-02-2002, 10:05
Hey! wait a minute 8.1 !
That was my special deal !!
(just kidding http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif )
How did you pick this one over the dozen others we've seen? Maybe your logic will help me see which way to go on mine.

------------------
MEMBER #6086

8.1 HD
01-02-2002, 10:26
A big reason why is that the peragon is removable if needed, no storage bin mounted to the front of the bed(or should I call it a water collector). Also I've seen many PE and R'N'L's around my neck of the woods that have had the vinyl seperate from the metal part on the cover. One other thing is the install looks to be a piece of cake, I almost bought a PE and was going to do the install myself, but it seems that you really have to fool with the alignment to get it to roll smoothly, and no- drilling on the peragon, this will be my third cover in a year so hopefully it will be my last.

Plasticfantastic
01-02-2002, 11:27
I really was leaning towards the solid fiberglass ones. Sheer heavyduty security kinda thing ... but if I wanna take it off to haul something big, I gotta have help. You know, the kind thats never around!
I agree the Peregon really looks easy and strong. Simple mechanisms. The down side for me is it doesn't lock into the tailgate so I gotta buy an additional lock for that.
Don't have to have it right away, gonna think on it for a while.

------------------
MEMBER #6086

mdrag
01-02-2002, 12:05
Plasticfantastic,

I have the RnL and really like it, especially the security with it locked. The tailgate extrusion may be an occasional PITA, but that is what gives you the security. The cover latches to the tailgate extrusion at 2 points and also to 2 points along the rails.

Just returned from a holiday trip to Cleveland OH and Pittsburgh PA - with the bed loaded with all our stuff.

The only problem I had was it rained/freezing rain in Cleveland the day we arrived, and then got colder (teens) that night and never warmed up after. The truck was parked on a sloped driveway with the rear end at the lowest point. The RnL locking mechanism froze from the rain AND the tailgate also froze. No way to get into that sucker - it would not budge. Finally backed the bed into my in-laws garage and used a blow drier on the RnL lock and at each end - about 10 minutes and the RnL opened and was not a problem after that. Lubricated the lock and locking mechanism with WD40 and no further problems.

The tailgate was REALLY frozen but finally came open, but then would not latch closed. I was just about ready to remove the gate and take it inside to thaw when it started latching correctly.

Must be that my truck is just spoiled and used to the usually warm weather in OK.... http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Plenty of rain and snow during the trip and everything stayed dry under the RnL. There is some water leakage around the tailgate area however. I found it necessary to brush off most of the snow to open the cover unless you want it to end up in the bed, and the cover won't open the last 6"-12" with the snow in the way.

I looked at both the RnL and PE covers installed on the local dealers' trucks and felt the RnL was better constructed. Considered the Peragon, but wanted to see one first and I had no luck in finding one installed locally. Looks like an interesting product.

BTW, I did modify the TracRac rails to work with the RnL, so it can be done (pics of the TracRac rails at the link in my sig). http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

mdrag
========================
'01 3500 "BIG DOOLEY" DMAX/ALLISON PICTURES (http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=mdrag)<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>2001 3500 LT Crew Cab/LB7 DMAX 6600/M74 Allison 1000 Series/4x4 G80/Light Pewter/Tan Leather
<LI>12 Disc CD Changer/Escalade Steering Wheel Audio Controls/Pioneer TS-C1653 Component Speakers
<LI>Kennedy Diesel Headlight Harness with 4 Lamp Mode/Dual Alts with PowerMaster 200A
<LI>TransferFlow 56 gal tank w/Fast Fill fillneck/ROSTRA Obstacle Sensing System
<LI>Roll-N-Lock Retractable Bed Cover with Carbon Fiber Pattern/TracRac Sliding Rack System
<LI>Clifford AvantGaurd4 Alarm with Remote Start/SmartWindows4/Computer Interface for MS Windows/Turbo Timer Option
<LI>SPA DG-111 Digital Boost & EGT Gauge/PIAA Airdam/PIAA 80 Pro XT Driving & 959 Fog Lights
<LI>DTA Corp Running Boards & Mudflaps/Line-X/Invinca-Shield/Center Console Mods
<LI>Lucerix X-Mount Mirrors/Tekonsha Prodigy/Goodrich Velvet-Ride Shackles
<LI>Future Mods Include: Alcoas, Performance Module.... etc.
[/list]

Barry Schrantz
01-02-2002, 20:26
8.1HD,
Yes anyone can get that deal through me. I'll let them know to expect your call, so there is no hassle.

------------------

Barry Schrantz
01-03-2002, 17:24
8.1HD,
When you order your cover talk to Keith. He's expecting your call.

------------------

sonofagun
01-04-2002, 14:06
Plasticfantastic,

I went with a Snugtop and paid about $500 after shopping around for a while. The corners of our trucks are weak (there is a dealer bulletin on repairing/strengthening them). The Snugtop uses a very substantial mounting bracket (looks a lot like the GM reinforcement part). I would be very careful about any unit that is heavy and just screws into the front cross rail.The quality of the Snugtop is first class, good warranty and seal from weather. My other choice would have been a rollup but I wanted to be able to mount a Yakima rail system for hauling my mountain bikes and kyak around while still being able to load stuff in the bed in a secured manner.

Good luck.

Bob

------------------
2001 GMC 2500HD D/A olympic white, Manik SS brush guard and nerfs, Hella driving lamps, Velvet rides, HD Air Lifts and Compressor
Snugtop cover, Linex, Yakima rails on cover (mt. bikes), Amsoil 2 stage airfilter. XM Radio. ECM upgrades. One piece driveshaft,43 gal
across the bed aux. tank.
--------
1966 Chevelle convertible 396 4SPD (restored)
--------------
Working on EGT/Boost guage, Mag-Hytec diff cover,4" exhaust.
Wish list: Whatever MDRAG does!
GOD BLESS AMERICA and those who walk in harms
way to protect us all!!
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/view?username=sonofagun

[This message has been edited by son of a gun (edited 01-04-2002).]

battmain
01-04-2002, 19:41
Barry, a few questions if you don't mind...

When folded, can you guestimate how far it sticks out from the back of the cab? I'm concerned that with all the junk I need to take with me, that said junk will interfere when folding the cover.

Is it really as noisy as the videos show?

How is the finish holding up so far?

Leaks? (with the multiple seams/hinges)

Removing it, yeah two pins, but can one person remove it without killing themselves? I mean the truck is high enough already. http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/smile.gif

On the RnLs...
I saw a few RnLs locally and maybe it was owner neglect, but they just didn't look like they would hold up in the Florida sun. I mean they looked terrible. One was on a used truck for sale at the dealer that serviced my truck. The cover jammed when I tried it. It seemed that it had to be perfectly aligned to open or close and in the short test, the strap must be used to keep the cover aligned in the tracks.
Is that the case with the Retrax? (Dakota? Richard?)

Brian

------------------
2001 Torreador Red 2500HD GMC Sierra Ext Cab Longbed. 6.0L 4x4. Deep Tinted Glass with Defogger. Weathertech Ventvisors. 8" Bazooka waiting to be installed.

mdrag
01-04-2002, 21:44
battmain,

My RnL closes perfectly - I actually have to hold the strap to keep it from slamming into the reel cannister, unless I'm parked on an uneven surface with some flexing of the bed - then a small push is all it takes. It took a little adjusting during the install to get it to close smoothly.

Mine has only been on 3 months - so too early to report on how well it holds up in the long term. RnL does recommend using protectant on it periodically - and even supplied an 8 oz bottle with the cover. Just like everything else - proper maintenance and some TLC will make it last.

I'm in OK and the sun is BRUTAL - so it'll get a good test... http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

mdrag
========================
'01 3500 "BIG DOOLEY" DMAX/ALLISON PICTURES (http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=mdrag)<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>2001 3500 LT Crew Cab/LB7 DMAX 6600/M74 Allison 1000 Series/4x4 G80/Light Pewter/Tan Leather
<LI>12 Disc CD Changer/Escalade Steering Wheel Audio Controls/Pioneer TS-C1653 Component Speakers
<LI>Kennedy Diesel Headlight Harness with 4 Lamp Mode/Dual Alts with PowerMaster 200A
<LI>TransferFlow 56 gal tank w/Fast Fill fillneck/ROSTRA Obstacle Sensing System
<LI>Roll-N-Lock Retractable Bed Cover with Carbon Fiber Pattern/TracRac Sliding Rack System
<LI>Clifford AvantGaurd4 Alarm with Remote Start/SmartWindows4/Computer Interface for MS Windows/Turbo Timer Option
<LI>SPA DG-111 Digital Boost & EGT Gauge/PIAA Airdam/PIAA 80 Pro XT Driving & 959 Fog Lights
<LI>DTA Corp Running Boards & Mudflaps/Line-X/Invinca-Shield/Center Console Mods
<LI>Lucerix X-Mount Mirrors/Tekonsha Prodigy/Goodrich Velvet-Ride Shackles
<LI>Future Mods Include: Alcoas, Performance Module.... etc.
[/list]

Barry Schrantz
01-05-2002, 04:47
battmain,
I didn't get my cover yet. I only ordered it just before X-mas. Probably 2 more weeks or 3 because of the holidays.
I would guess that the cover will hang down and extend back approximately 7" when folded.
The cover weighs 35#.
You can call them toll free 1-877-4PERAGON
They will answer any questions you have.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Barry Schrantz (edited 01-05-2002).]

battmain
01-05-2002, 08:47
I didn't get my cover yet. I only ordered it just before X-mas.

Oops, I thought you already had yours. I'm especially interested in leaks at the fold points. 35# should be pretty easy to handle. Would you be so kind to write up a report when you get it? I have been emailing the company and they are pretty responsive to the questions. Just haven't seen one of the covers locally yet.

Brian

------------------
2001 Torreador Red 2500HD GMC Sierra Ext Cab Longbed. 6.0L 4x4. Deep Tinted Glass with Defogger. Weathertech Ventvisors. 8" Bazooka waiting to be installed.

Mario
01-05-2002, 08:49
Bob, Did you find your Snugtop locally, or mail order it?

------------------
2002 2500 Ext/D/A

Barry Schrantz
01-05-2002, 20:20
battmain,

Weather Resistance
The Peragon Bed Cover provides excellent year-round protection for your valuable cargo. Whether you are hauling tools for the job site or luggage for a weekend getaway, you can count on Peragon to get them there safely. After all, isn't peace of mind the most important thing?
There is a weather seal in between each panel that is compressed very tightly when the cover is closed. The seals prevent water from leaking between the panels. This level of protection is combined with the highest quality materials for long-lasting dependability. We use only EPDM rubber in all our weather seals. EPDM provides excellent durability through extreme temperatures and exposure to UV rays.
As an added benefit, all the weather seals in the Peragon Bed Cover can be replaced easily and inexpensively if they are ever damaged.

If you have any other questions, Just call them. Keith really has his heart in his product and will help you all he can.

You will have a report from me in 2 or 3 weeks.

------------------

Barry Schrantz
02-06-2002, 17:45
My Peragon cover was delivered today. About two hours later I was finished. Partially because I'm a perfectionist. Especially when it comes to "My Baby". I could install one in half the time now.
This cover is definately the hot setup. Locks to protect your valuables,can be folded to the front of the bed for bigger jobs and easy to remove and reinstall when you are trying to move the whole house in one trip.
This is the best cover available unless you have to have push button.If you want to see my cover, I'm in eastern Pennsylvania. E-mail me at BarrySchrantz@msn.com
Will try to post pics. when I get my hands on a digital camera.

------------------

KenZ
02-15-2002, 07:51
Just got an e-mail from Peregon with a special price if I order in a week. $595.00 delivered to my door. Don't know if they would give it to others, they said they were offering the deal because I had previously inquired and hadn't purchased.

You guys that have the peregon still happy with it? I think I will go for it unless someone knows something negative. I've got a few days to decide before the offer expires.

Ken

Nels
02-15-2002, 10:01
I have the Fold-A-Cover, and I like it. It's easily removed (two set screws on each side) and replaced. It also opens from both front and back. However, I bought it before I knew about the Peragon. Knowing what I now know, I think I would have chosen the Peragon for it's two pin release and removal. I find myself doing that alot for my uses of this truck. It would change the job of removal and replacement from a few minute's work to a few seconds.

CALIMAX
02-15-2002, 12:05
KenZ, are you sure it is $595 & not $695. I have had mine a week & not real thrilled with it. I will post my comments later today.

SoCalDMAX
02-15-2002, 12:22
Hi All,

Just got off of the phone with Peragon and placed an order for the black aluminum folding bed cover.

Yes, the price is $595, delivered to your door via FedEx ground. That's $200 off, plus $65 saved on shipping. This is for the black powder coated version. White powder coat is $50 more. The special is good until Wed.

Looks like a great product on their website. Customer service seems to be good (you get a confirmation email then a shipping confirmation with a direct link to FedEx tracking.)

I doubt I'll ever see a comparable product for a better price. Will post info and pics as soon as it arrives.

Regards, Steve

------------------
'02 2500HD 2WD LS, grey, CC, SB, D/A, locking diff., alloys, trailer and towing pkg. Delivered 11/09/01
So far:
Bully Dog Max Power Plug, 255/85-16 Dunlop Radial Rover A/T tires,
Pillar mounted SPA Boost/EGT/oil press./temp gauges, Valentine One
Aiwa CD/MP3 head, 4- Pioneer TS-C1653 6.5" component spkrs, 2-10" Tsunami subs,1200W of Visonik amps
Jordan 2020 Ultima Brake Controller, Lucerix mirrors, Line-X, Bed X-tender, DeeZee running boards
PIAA headlights, Power tailgate lock, Invinca-shield, Husky flaps and tinted windows
Amsoil air filter and gear lube, Fumoto valve

Up next:
PS2000 propane, 4" exhaust, high idle, Allison deep sump, tranny oil temp., rear diff. oil temp., Mag-Hytech diff. cover, Spare fuel tank?
Truck Pictures (http://www.pbase.com/sfrakes/2002_silverado)

IndigoDually
02-15-2002, 12:36
CALLIMAX, Tell me more. Why aren't you impressed? What are the problems? I'm on the verge of ordering one and this deal sounds pretty good. http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/confused.gif Now you have got me thinking. I was looking at the P.E. but I need the ability to remove it.

------------------
'02 GMC 3500 Crew/longbed 4x4 (Wife's daily driver)
Indigo blue/Graphite leather/all the toys(you only go around once!)
G/N,Rhino,Western 8 1/2 UltraMount, Curt Quick Goose, Westin CPS Step Bars, Back Rack, Avital remote start ( KEEPIN UP WITH THE MDRAG?S) - NOT LIKELY
Kennedy Headlight Upgrade
Front and Rear hideaway strobes

My work truck:
'95 3500HD 15,000GVW
6.5 T/D 5 speed
chipped and exhaust mods
(with help of Kennedy)
10 1/2' Alum dumping flatbed
GN hitch
Whelen Strobe Bar

'94 K2500 EXT.Cab 6.5/Auto B&M ShiftPlus(best $40 I ever spent) G/N hitch Farm Truck 36,000 mi.

Pictures
www.picturetrail.com/indigodually (http://www.picturetrail.com/indigodually)

CALIMAX
02-15-2002, 14:17
I'll start off with saying the reason why I went with Peragon was that it would give me the most storage space for a retractable cover. I have nothing to compare it to but I'm dissappointed. Because this is a sectional (12" sections) it requires RAMPS to be able to open & close, here is where I'm dissappointed. By having these ramps you cannot store anything FULL height (approx. 18" tall) for 22" from the front of the bed unless you close the cover & then crawl into the bed, but even then there is a lower support bar (3/4" square tubing)that goes from side to side 4 1/2" off floor & 11" from front of bed. There is a 3" gap from front of bed to the first panel (when folded close), total thicknes of folded panels is 5" (short bed). I know this is alot to imagine but I wanted max storage space. Like I said I have nothing to compare to like the other retractable covers, but it seems they might have better storage area. They have redesigned the quick release and now only use it on the pass side. Mine has pulled out of the quick release pin & it is somewhat a pain to take apart & re-attach when you have a bed full of stuff. They are working on a fix for this problem as we speak. The product itself seems to be well made and should last a long time. They seem very willing to help with any questions or problems. I will post more if I can think of anything else.

IndigoDually
02-15-2002, 15:44
When you pull the pins and remove the cover, is the whole bed clear or is there any remaining tubes or other parts in the cargo area?

So bottom line: Nice product or Junk? Did you see any other retractable covers up close to determine if this is better or worse than others?

------------------
'02 GMC 3500 Crew/longbed 4x4 (Wife's daily driver)
Indigo blue/Graphite leather/all the toys(you only go around once!)
G/N,Rhino,Western 8 1/2 UltraMount, Curt Quick Goose, Westin CPS Step Bars, Back Rack, Avital remote start ( KEEPIN UP WITH THE MDRAG?S) - NOT LIKELY
Kennedy Headlight Upgrade
Front and Rear hideaway strobes

My work truck:
'95 3500HD 15,000GVW
6.5 T/D 5 speed
chipped and exhaust mods
(with help of Kennedy)
10 1/2' Alum dumping flatbed
GN hitch
Whelen Strobe Bar

'94 K2500 EXT.Cab 6.5/Auto B&M ShiftPlus(best $40 I ever spent) G/N hitch Farm Truck 36,000 mi.

Pictures
www.picturetrail.com/indigodually (http://www.picturetrail.com/indigodually)

CALIMAX
02-15-2002, 16:10
Pull ONE pin to remove cover. Undo two wingnuts remove bolts to remove lower support bar. THAT"S IT ! That is the real nice part about this product. I was not able to compare to any other product so I cannot give you a comparison. I feel this is a good product if you can live with the amount of cargo space. I feel they all have some sort of draw back, you just have to find what works best for you. By the way, the $595 price was thru e-mail only. I just called & talk to Heath (president) who said he will refund me $100. YAHOO- I can buy other parts now....He also stated they just finished revamping the quick release pin and will be in production ASAP.

Barry Schrantz
02-15-2002, 17:39
I just got off the phone with Heath from Peragon. I told him about the deals other Dieselpage members are getting and he said he would give me the same deal since I just recently bought mine. He is crediting my credit card. He said that this is the only time they are going to offer this special price. Deadline to order is 2-20-2002. I thought their customer service was the best but, this is unbelievable.

------------------

KenZ
02-15-2002, 17:52
Carlimax and others,

Thanks for all the information. I usually don't have a full bed, but would like to have it covered when I want to have a few things back there.

Heath was the one that sent me the email. Now that you guys are getting some money back, how about a cut for bringing it to your attention LOL

Some of you guys seem to move pretty fast, I guess I better get my order in before the delivery goes to six months.

Ken

RichBailey
02-15-2002, 17:53
I just ordered a Peragon cover and talked at length with Heath about the product. Looked at PE and RnL, but both had drawbacks. The original RnL had heavy metal slats which were powder coated and rated to hold 500#. The new RnL is a poor imitation of the original. So went with Peragon. Also ordered a TracRac from Heath for $575 which is a better price than I had found elsewhere. Will take 3-4 weeks to receive as they are backed up in production.

------------------
2002 GMC CC/SB, D/A, fully loaded, no changes yet

CALIMAX
02-15-2002, 18:34
I also installed a POP N LOCK tailgate lock. Real nice unit, looks factory, took all of 3 minutes to install & cost about $30 from stylinconcepts.com

TxDoc
02-15-2002, 22:19
Can Paragon be used in conjunction with a toolbox?

sonofagun
02-17-2002, 14:13
Mario,
"Bob, Did you find your Snugtop locally, or mail order it?"

I found a local dealer (trailers actually) and bought it from him. There are a lot of snugtop dealers in my area so I vistited a few before buying. The prices were all over the place.

Good luck,

Bob

------------------
2001 GMC 2500HD D/A, CC/SB,Olympic White, Manik SS brush guard and nerfs, Hella driving lamps, Velvet rides, HD Air Lifts and Compressor,
Snugtop cover, Linex, Yakima rails on cover (mt. bikes), Amsoil 2 stage airfilter. Pioneer XM Radio. ECM upgrades. One piece driveshaft.Mag-Hytec diff. cover,
43 gal across the bed aux.tank (American Tank), Lucerix pwr/heated mirrors, Street Pilot III GPS.
--------
1966 Chevelle convertible 396 4SPD (restored)
--------------
Working on EGT/Boost guage,4" exhaust, Jason's steering wheel audio controls and Homelink transmitter.
Wish list: Whatever MDRAG does!
GOD BLESS AMERICA and those who walk in harms
way to protect us all!!

SON OF A GUN'S VEHICLES (http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/view?username=sonofagun)

SamIAM
12-29-2002, 20:33
Guys,
It has been a while since this thread was visited and I was curious to how the different bed covers worked out. Any leaks or other problems? I am in the market.

Sam

IndigoDually
12-30-2002, 07:16
Peragon = Junk

Mine is bent, leaking, faded, leaking, peeling paint, leaking. Did I mention that it leaks? At every seam, at the front where a panel is bent when I repeatedly punched it because it was stuck and I needed to hook up a trailer to move a colicing horse. The panels stick if You don't open the cover a couple times a week. The paint sucks, it faded to a chalky black and the black paint on my Back Rack that has been on the truck longer is fine. The customer service leaves a little to be desired. My cover came undamaged in boxes that were damaged beyond repair. When I spoke with them(Peragon) about shipping my cover back for a warranty repair they wanted $50 for a box to send back the cover. I was p@ssed at the idea of spending that money on a box, then shipping back at my expense so they could "look" at my cover to see what's wrong with it. I am not going to dump over $100 to possibly get back a cover that I probably won't be satisfied with when all is said and done.
They were very slow in answering my complaints and overall I wasn't very impressed with their customer service. I have spoken to a few other Peragon owners that also not too thrilled with the operation and quality of their cover.

John

Diesel Dad
12-30-2002, 07:54
I have had both the Roll-n-lock and a local rolling cover called the ArmorRoll. Neither one has really been totally satisfactory. The issues were:

1). Roll-n-lock - satisfied with the fit and security. Kept contents dry enough (a little leakage around the tailgate). Appearance -- terrible ! The vinyl developed white lines across from contact with the aluminum slats while driving rolled up. The white lines could not be removed with 303 or anything else. They eventually replaced the cover under warranty and the new one developed the same problem. Maybe the carbon fiber design is better -- not sure.

2). ArmorRoll - similar to RnL but with no vinyl cover and heavier duty aluminum slats. Appearance is good. Stays closed and probably keeps the bed drier than the RnL. However it takes a lot of force to close (even after a factory adjustment and lubrication) and will eventually need to be replaced.

I'd consider a Retrax next time.

Retrax owners: how do they handle ice, snow, freezing rain etc. ? Do they freeze shut ?