PDA

View Full Version : Spray-in Bedliners -- Update

JimWilson
05-15-2002, 07:00
Okay, reading all the posts I've been able to determine a few things:
* Rhino and Line-X are the two products most people use, by a wide margin.
* The majority of you are satisfied with your choice, so there's no clearcut winner.
* The person holding the spray gun is extremely important, and everyone seems to agree on that.

I went and checked out both Line-X and Rhino this weekend. Here's what I found...

Rhino
* Definitely feels softer and more rubbery. That could be good or bad, I suppose.
* Thicker. Seems to be applied more generously, perhaps because it's more pliable.
* Very uneven texture, almost like cottage cheese. I don't like that.
* Surprisingly, it didn't seem to scratch like I had assumed it would when I ran a rock across it.
* Can run your hand over it without a problem; it's not rough to the touch.

Line-X
* Certainly feels harder, but that could be good or bad as well.
* Not very thick, but supposedly stronger. Perhaps that's why it feels so hard.
* Much better looking. The texture is very even, and looks almost factory.
* Scratches very easily with a rock. AAMOF, it left a noticeable mark. That surprised me.
* Feels almost like sandpaper, so running your hand across it isn't a good idea. That, I don't like at all.

The Line-X'd rig I saw -- which had, literally, just come out of the spray booth -- was very nice looking! Exceptionally clean corners. Spray tech took all the hardware off before spraying. Looked like a very professional job, but the shop was an absolute dump. Wonder how they made it look so good.

The Rhino'd truck had been done about 5 years earlier. The cuts on the corners were not that good, but I'm hopping that was due to the fact it was one of the first rigs they had ever done. Seemed as though the edges were coming up a little too, but I can't say for sure. The place is a pretty clean body shop who does a ton of beds with Rhino, so I'm a bit more confident they would do a good job. Although the guy who sprayed the Line-X used to work at the Rhino shop. He said the reason he left was because of all the problems he was having with the Rhino product in general. Hmm...

Rhino is applied cold, and at a very low pressure -- somewhere around 50psi -- so it's a bit more prone to run and be sloppy (potentially). It takes longer to dry because of that, too. Line-X is applied warm, and at high pressure -- about 1800psi -- so there's less of a tendency to run. It also dries in less then 5 seconds, so running shouldn't be a problem.

Line-X is also thinner and stronger (by there claims) so it can be applied in areas that Rhino can't. And therein lies a problem; according to the Rhino installer there is a 1-2 inch section on the bottom of a Silverado's tailgate that can't be sprayed because the bed floor is too close, so if you did spray the entire tailgate door it wouldn't close. Line-X, on the other hand, is supposedly thin enough to spray the whole tailgate. That's a major drawback for the Rhino, in my opinion. You guys with the Rhino; is your entire tailgate sprayed?

I tried to find an ArmaCoat dealer around me, but the closest one is over 150 miles away; no good. So, I only have SpeedLiner left, but that one sounds an awful lot like Line-X (at least the stuff on there web page does). Hopefully one of them will be a clear winner after all this. I'll keep you posted...

Jim Dandy
05-15-2002, 07:36
Got Rhino'd two weeks ago. Entire end gate is sprayed. No clearance problems. I like the look and feel of the Rhino. I went with the under the rail application and just last night added Wade bed caps. Paid $465 for the Rhino.

windjammer
05-15-2002, 08:09
I went with Rhino. Closing the tailgate was a little tight. They just shaved a small amount off and no problems. Looks great.

JimWilson
05-15-2002, 08:23
Jim Dandy; Do you have any pics? If I go with Rhino I want to show them it's possible. Not coating a part of the tailgate is BS.

Do you know if they kept your drain holes clear? The Line-X guy -- who used to spray Rhino -- said that it's too thick, so most shops just drill new holes in the bed after they spray it! Did they do that with yours?

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: JimWilson ]</p>

JimWilson
05-15-2002, 08:25
windjammer; Do you have any pics? Also, how did they shave your tailgate? Does it still look okay? And what about your drain holes, did they leave the originals or drill new ones?

DmaxMaverick
05-15-2002, 08:57
I don't have the liner in yet, but will soon. Decided on Line-X. I know several ppl that have Rhino and Line-X. Both are good, but have their own ups and downs, as pointed out very well by Jim (thanks!).

In regards to the drain holes, it's no problem at all. After the material cures (any of them), use a solder iron to clear the holes, then trim with a razor or sharp knife. The results I've seen were clean and flawless. I would not suggest using a drill, as that will leave bare, unprotected metal exposed and allow rapid corrosion.

Alli-max
05-15-2002, 09:05
Jim... I have the Rhino, and it has the original drain holes. no drilling.

JimWilson
05-15-2002, 09:10
Alli-max; did they spray your entire tailgate too?

AlaskaDmax
05-15-2002, 09:11
Do not forget the differences in warranty....

Line-X-----Nation wide
Rhino------Dealer

ndamico
05-15-2002, 09:47
I have Line-X (applied about 3 weeks ago) and still have the factory drain holes in the bed. the tiny holes still drain, but not quite as quick. i was surprised with the small size that they even drain at all. the rhino dealer is about 1/2 mile from my work. i went there first. they told me that the drain holes would be covered. my main reasons for going line-x were:

1) i found appearance of line-x to be better
2) warranty
3) rhino wouldn't do my rear wheels wells, line-x did..i really wanted them sprayed to.
4) the line-x was $470 (ovedr the rail + wheels wells). not counting the wheels wells, if was about $30 cheaper than rhino.

windjammer
05-15-2002, 09:56
JimWilson, They used a razor blade and it looks fine.
Danny

konacat
05-15-2002, 11:38
Jim,

I agree with Alli-max as my drain holes are free and clear with my Rhino Lining. As to spraying the tailgate, the Rhino dealer will spray anything you ask for. I have seen Rhino sprayed on steps, bars, and even the lower section of the body. As I said in a previous post, I felt the Rhino had much more skid resistance for me and for anything I carry. I also feel that the thicker coating and the material that it is made from absorbs more of an impact before affecting the metal of the bed. You had also mentioned the texture of the Rhino. I believe that Rhino can control the textured look and you can choose the look you want. Check with the dealer and they should have samples to show you. The bottom line is that both of these products are quite good. I am sure you will be satisfied with either. My wife likes the look of the Rhino, which makes me happy. I won't have to hear here b***h about it forever (I would leave her but I'm afraid of her)
:D :D :D

AlaskaDmax
05-15-2002, 11:56
ndamico,

Can you get some pics of the wheel wells?

I have been thinking about doing that too!

ryeguy
05-15-2002, 11:59
I had my truck sprayed with Armaguard. Trez happy with the results. Thickness is between 1/8" and 1/4". Black. Complete box, tailgate, over the bed rails. $475 (Cdn) + taxes. Seems pretty strong, and gives a hard surface. And they sprayed around the 5th wheel mounts that were in the box already (what I wanted). No prob's using the box drain holes, either.

Warranteed for as long as I own the truck (forever). I gotta take it back and get it touched up, but that's 'cause I was dragging a 120lb NP205 out of the box an it caught on the tailgate. Other than that, no scratch marks, etc., even with that NP205 rolling around loose in the box.

--Rob

BowTieDmax
05-15-2002, 12:51
I got Rhino Liner sprayed in the bed & under the rail. And I had them spray the lower side of the truck from the body crease under the molding all the way to the bottom lip under the truck. And I also had them open the doors and spray the complete rocker panel into up to the rubber molding.
I choose Rhino because of the non slippery surface. Its been about 2 months now and all is well. I've talked 2 other people into having there rockers done and the like it to. :rolleyes:

AlaskaDmax
05-15-2002, 14:47
My neighbor had the rocker panels done too....my idea, because he bought a rental that had tons of nicks and dings in them...I will probably have that done too but I am going to wait until it needs it badly. I would like to see pica of the wheel wells though..hint hint ndamico :D :D

TimofCharlotte
05-15-2002, 19:34
Jim, From looking at the research you've done, you came across a key point, the skill of the applier.
I would put this very high on the list, maybe first. Guarantees are great, but who wants to keep going back for touch up cause someone decided they didn't want to spend the time prepping the surface.
I had Line-X done, am very happy with it, and met the guy who would spray it. He showed me a Jeep of his that he had lined extensively, and it looked great. I told him I wanted it at least 1/4" on the bed area and he said no problem, that's how he always does them. I'm sure he didn't skimp, as my tailgate needed some light trim to allow full closure.
The nationwide guarantee is good if you travel alot and may need area repaired, but if you don't plan to move, it's not that big a deal.
Go with the dealer that gives you a good feeling of how it will be applied. The other variables are practically evenly split good/bad unless you really want it 'hard' or 'soft'. Then the decision is an easy one. I wouldn't recommend the other appliers/makes, unless you know about them from a trusted source and they are much less expensive. Rhino and Line-X are the undisputed leaders in the field.
Good luck with your decision.

TO-D-MAX
05-15-2002, 23:56
I went with Rhino about three weeks ago.

Deciding reason.....My son and the managers son are in the same Boy Scout Troop.
I talked with him before hand and knew what to expect. The guy holding the spray gun means EVERYTHING to the satisfaction that you will get.
I personally went into the shop and told the guy who sprays them what I wanted. I found out that he was very experianced in spraying liners.

They installed the WADE bedcaps at the same time. The texture of the WADE caps and the Rhino liner are almost exactly like the factory tailgate cap.
This makes the bed and caps look very uniform.

I had a smooth back, steel, 4 foot file cabinet in the back of my truck today. In all sorts of stop and go traffic it never slid an inch.

ndamico
05-16-2002, 00:00
AlaskaDmax,

i'll bring the digital camera to work tomorrow and snap some photos...my Dmax is in my warehouse sleeping, while i drive my 97 with the 4 sale sign in the window and try to attract attention!

gdblake
05-16-2002, 04:23
Anyone have any comments on the do-it-yourself paint (brush) on liners? I've got my 5th wheel hitch in place over a bed mat which has been cut so the mounting bolts are fixed to the metal. Just want the sides and tailgate protected. I see these advertised in Motor Trend.

BowTieDmax
05-16-2002, 04:32
I gotta agree about the person holding the gun. Because I shopped around and Zebart gave me a better price (600.00 vers. 795.00) to D&S Costume Vans who did the work. But while I was making the app. at Zebart I got to witness a couple of young guys in the back doing the work on another car. And they was joking about witch one of them was going to be the first to cut the hole for a new sun roof in this car. And I could just picture them not even sanding the paint off my truck before they spayed the liner. So I told them I call back. D&S Van was a very large place and I was able to walk out on the floor and see them just going to town wire wheeling the paint out of the bed of another HD.Plus a couple of trucks sitting complete just trying. They looked good, I was sold !!

JimWilson
05-16-2002, 05:47
For those with the Line-X...

Does the "sandpaper like" texture cause you problems when you're dragging stuff across it? How much knuckle skin have you lost since putting it on? :)

I guess the texture is concerning me a bit more then Rhino's does.

For those with the Rhino...

Were you able to get them to spray it with a different texture? The one I saw looked like it had little "bubbles" all over the place. The few I pressed on were solid, so there really isn't any air in them, but it sure looked like it.

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: JimWilson ]</p>

Nels
05-16-2002, 08:14
No problem with the knuckle skin! It's not coarse enough for that (Well, I supose if you were REALLY trying . . . . .).

Since I collect various forms of antique iron, I frequently haul large, heavy, rusty cast iron objects in the bed. I have a plywood panel laying in the bottom to take the heavy impacts and dragging abrasion. Some might say that defeats the purpose of having the bedliner, but I know when I someday sell the truck and remove the panel, the bed will look like the day it was new. Some of the stuff I haul would be above and beyond the call for a bedliner anyway, such as the 1400 lb. antique gas engine I hauled home from Iowa last summer. Try dragging that one across your liner without damaging it!

JLee
05-16-2002, 08:42
I have Line-x too and haven't noticed any problem with it being too rough. I went with the rougher surface thinking things might not move around in the bed as much. Kind of academic since I have 5th wheel hitch rails in the bed anyway. 2nd truck with Line-x though. Hard to know what you are going to get re: applier. I went back to the same shop where I had the first truck done. The guy who owns it no longer actually does applications. There was a young "lady" doing the application (I wouldn't want to get her mad at me by golly!) and she seemed to take her time and do a good job.

ALLIMAX
05-16-2002, 09:06
I have had the following experiences with rhino liner and Line-X. I had a pickup sprayed with rhino liner and it is still in great shape. I even had them spray it on the inner rear fender wells to hide the color of the bed. Still very happy with it. I built a car wash and decided to spray one bay with Line-X from the local dealer. I spent over $6,000 to do this and was given all the Line-X brochures about life time warranty etc. The local Line-X company did a very poor job of spraying it on and it was discolored in several area's. The local company would not stand behind the product so I contacted Line-X direct and was informed that this Line-X dealer had been canceled as a direct dealer over 1 year earlier and that other dealers were selling the product to him so LIne-X National had no obligation to stand behind their product. I asked them why they continued to let him advertise the Line-X name and represent himself as a Line-X factory dealer. They said they would have this practice stopped immediatly. That was over 18 months ago and he is still selling the stuff. My point is that with Line-x their nation wide warranty is not worth the paper it is printed on.

Ironhead
05-16-2002, 14:15
Well I'll throw my .02 in. Everyone is gonna push the product they bought I guess, and I am no different. Afer a lot of thought I went with LineX. I am very hard on a bed and dont have time to worry about what it looks like. I wanted something mostly to keep things from moving around and was really leaning toward Rhino. Because of the softness I thought that would hold things better, but I also worried how easy the Rhino might get cut up by flame cut(and Hot) steel. The Linex is holding up real well. There are marks from dragging steel and some chemicle stains but it is still doing its job. Its still adheared to the bed and its holding things in place very well. One note: I saw a linex bed that was used hard as a work truck that was about 4 years old. The sandpaper edge was fairly wore down and seemed too smooth to work well any more. I hope mine lasts a bit longer than that.

MNBowTie
05-16-2002, 17:29
JimWilson,

I had the Rhino applied a couple of days ago. My tailgate was appied down to the edge, my drain holes are open as well. They applied the box at about 1/4 inch the sides and the tailgate are about an 1/8 inch thick. I had them go up to the top of the inside rail. Turned out pretty good, I paid $349.00 plus $20.00 extra for the inside rail. I have pictures you can view if you like, use the link in my signature.

MNBowTie
05-16-2002, 17:33
Sorry, the signature is not working here is the link.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=570842&uid=462385

GMC-2002-Dmax
05-16-2002, 18:52
LINE-X....

Was my choice. I stated in the first thread that I went with Line-X over Rhino because I wanted a hard surface not a soft surface. I believe in the long run for my use that Line-X will stand up better for me. I had already purchased a rubber mat and Wade bed caps. I figure now my bed has double protection with the Line-X and the Mat.

I was very happy with my results for prep work and the finished results. I was allowed to watch everything being done and the guy spraying had told me he has done over 400 beds himself. He has a wall of pictures of all the trucks he has done and I had complete confidence in his ability and the Line-X product.

They also manufacture their own products, it is a HOT application at a higher pressure than Rhino so that's the reasons I went with Line-X.

GMC ;)

ndamico
05-16-2002, 19:33
AlaskaDmax,

as you have requested i have added the pictures of my wheel wells. click on the link on my Sig to see them. the wheel wells were quite evenly sprayed, although it looks a little weird in the picture due to the dirt that is stuck to them. the only place the texture deviated a bit was where the well meets the outer fender. the said they couldn't get the gun quite far enough away to maintain the same texture. however the protection should be just as good. it seems to deflect things quite well and i'm glad i did it...if you want to see better pix i will wash the wheel wells so it looks nice and shiny! aw shucks! :cool:

JimWilson
05-17-2002, 09:46
MNBowTie,

That one pic was perfect! Now, I can show the local Rhino guy that it can indeed be done. Thanks.

Aluminator
05-17-2002, 19:18
From the stand point of what workes for me. I had LineX installed and have had a very hard time scratching it off. Take a "unit" of 3/4 plywood (about 35 sheets) and slide it into the bed. That is over 2,000 lbs digging, scratching, and trying to ripp it up as it is pushed in with all the weight on the packing materials (a couple of 2x2's) and I was feeling sick till I unloaded and found out that the lining wasn't damaged.

Dennis

James S
05-17-2002, 21:06
Hey Folks,

With regards to the Linex, the sandpaper like texture, will it scratch Melamine. I do cabinet making and use mostly Melamine, or other veneered woods. I do not have a truck yet, but am doing research, for the truck and bed liners for the truck. This is crutial, as I can not risk my customers' kitchen cabinets, or any other mill work, getting scratched. If there is even the remote chance, I will have to put carpet in the bed, and over the wheel wells. Thanks for this.

Ironhead
05-18-2002, 10:21
James , I believe the linex would scratch your nice cabinets. I hauled an old plywood garage cabinet (fairly large) and when I pulled it out it looked like someone took 60 grit to the varnish. Good thing it was only going in my garage ;)

SHOPMAN426
05-19-2002, 11:51
One point I would like to, well point out. My father has Rhino in his pickup truck which was his first spray-in. On his International he had the bed fabricator take it to a Line-X shop because it was close by. It's been about five years on the Rhino and about Three on the Line-X.
The Rhino is in far better shape than the Line-X.
Some oil from a Quad spilled on the Line-X and has stained. Also the Line-X has faded alot(black). If he had known this going into it he would of went with the Rhino on the International.
Something to think about.

SHOPMAN426.

Mike. :confused: :confused:

APR2000
05-19-2002, 13:31
Line-X makes a mix together rejuvenator product, at least for black. You put it on with a sponge and it greatly restores the gloss of the liner. Sets up harder than moose poop. You get rubber gloves with the kit for a reason. If that stuff gets on anything that you don't want it to, it has to wear off. Line-X has the best "factory" look in my opinion.

ksss
05-22-2002, 00:18
ALLIMAX,

LET ME GUESS THE PLACE THAT SPRAYED YOUR WASH BAYS WAS B@S CUSTOMIZING. :mad:

56Nomad
06-05-2002, 10:14
Hi all,

Wow, what a string. Lots of good informationI did Line-X
and really like the look and texture. Here is an interesting
article from the folks who sell bedliners :eek:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/020605-5.htm

Study says spray-on bedliners not as durable as 'drop-in'bedliners June 5, 2002

Portage, Wisconsin - Performance and reliability tests conducted by a leading manufacturer
of light-truck accessories indicate that expensive spray-on bedliners provide only a fraction
of the protection and durability of more affordable molded "drop-in" liners.

Spray-on liners, which typically consist of a paint-like formula that is applied directly to the truck
bed surface, provide one-tenth the abrasion resistance and half the dent protection offered by
leading drop-in liners. The tests were conducted by Bjorksten Research Laboratories, Inc.,
Madison, Wisconsin, in conjunction with Penda Corporation, manufacturer of bedliners and other
vehicle accessories.

"We strongly urge truck owners to make an informed decision when choosing a bedliner. If the
purpose of the liner is to protect the truck bed from damage while enhancing the long-term
appearance of the vehicle, spray-on products simply aren't up to the job," said Tom Anderson,
director of engineering for Penda.

In an abrasion test performed on three leading national spray-on liners and one Pendaliner(R)
drop-in model, the spray-on liners withstood an average of just 3,133 abrasions before the vehicle
sustained body damage. By comparison, the drop-in liner withstood 31,860 abrasions before the
truck's body was scuffed.

An impact test of the same products showed that the Pendaliner Skid Resistor liner absorbed
twice the amount of force of the spray-on liners before a dent was produced.

In addition to the performance and durability issues associated with spray-on liners, these
products require the installer to remove the factory- applied finish from the truck bed. By grinding
the bed surface, however, the dealer could be violating the terms of the customer's vehicle
warranty.

"Ironically, this step adds to the cost of a sprayed-on product while producing permanent damage
to the original finish," Anderson said. "It doesn't make sense to protect the bed by first damaging
it -- that's why today's new generation of drop-in liners are a much better alternative."

Unlike older technologies, today's best drop-in liners also resist vibration within the truck bed,
reducing scratches and other damage. Additionally, new-generation liners promote air circulation
between the liner and bed surface to prevent the build-up of moisture. :eek:

AlaskaDmax
06-05-2002, 11:07
I agree that the drop in liners are more durable, but they are never going to be as good at keeping water off of the metal, sound softening, or appearance as the spray in. You could always put a drop in over the spray in or as I am thinking about doing...putting a mat down over the line-x...carrying fragile items sometimes...more cushioning.

bora
06-05-2002, 11:28
Also note that the study was commissioned by a
manufacturer of drop-in bedliners, who else.