PDA

View Full Version : clutch fan

farmerherb
06-26-2005, 16:57
How can I check the clutch fan on a 95 TD? What temp should it engage? Also when I had a Snapon scanner connected the temp. on the scanner was 20 degrees lower than the gauge on the truck( all the gauges are off) with key off fuel gauge 1/4 inch below empty, oil pressure below 0. :confused:

Marty Lau
06-29-2005, 11:16
I don't remember what temp the OEM Clutch is set for, But the clutch depends on heat flowing through the radiator to heat up. If the radiator is plugged up with bugs & weeds and other things it take higher engine temp for the fan clutch to engage, so make sure the raditor inside and out is clean.

TurboDiverArt
06-29-2005, 15:05
As mentioned, air temp activates the clutch. If you want to check it, drive around on a humid or hot day with the A/C blasting. Your fan should engage pretty quickly. The condenser will heat the air nicely. If I turn the A/C on while its 85-90 degrees outside, before the thermostats open up I can hear the clutch engaged and fan whining.

My gauge is pretty accurate. Without the A/C on, my stock clutch will engage around 200-205 and stays on until the temp has dropped to the normal running temp and then stay on for another minute or two. I assume the thermostats are closing by this point because the gauge doesn