PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh! Tranny issue.

Trucker Tex
12-29-2001, 21:43
Need advice from some of our resident experts. Only issue I've had since delivery is a slight tranny fluid drip from front of transmission housing. Only about 2 or 3 drops a day.

Finally got a chance to get into the dealer and thought I'd have them check it out. Preliminary prognosis is front pump seal, which shouldn't be any big deal. Probably just a sloppy factory install. Technician tells me however that GM will probably not authorize local fix. They have been pulling these transmissions and shipping back to the factory and replacing with a new one as part of GM's quality effort.

My question is this. Do I really want them to do this? My transmission has performed flawlessly. No clunks, no shift business, no whine. Never runs over 150 degrees. Will the "new" transmission really be a new one or one some other owner returned for another problem which they have reworked? Do I risk inheriting some of the other problems I now do not have?

Seems like a front pump seal fix would be a pretty simple thing for a trained tech. The people at the dealership I'm using seem very well versed on the new trucks - they sell a ton of them.

Any thoughts?

------------------
2002 GMC 2500HD D/A, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Pewter with Pewter SLT Leather, Westin Stainless Nerfs, Line-X Bed Liner, Fumoto Valve. Run GM Synthetic Diff, Chevron Delo 400, Amsoil air filter, Stanadyne Performance Formula and Allison/Castrol TranSynd.

TXMAX
12-29-2001, 22:16
Trucker Tex,

I'd let them have it. The reason I say that is that anything you get in return will still be under warranty and as we all know if it is a small leak now it will be worse later. Once it is out of warranty how much will seal replacement cost when the leak has grown to the point you can't stand it any more? In addition once it is on record it would seem to give you some recourse in the event of a premature failure i.e. "You guys replaced my original instead of just repairing it and the one you replaced it with failed prematurely." Just my .02.
Let us know how you make out.

Abe

mark45678
12-29-2001, 22:22
as long as it a NEW NOT RECON unit I wouldnt have a problem with it. What if there is a problem with the front pump or converter being out of ballance,then what? back to replaceing the unit any why! its a safe bet the new one will be 100% on the 1st try!Past experiance with my diesel and 4le80 tell me most common dealer know jack s$ht about them ,I will say there are a few good tecs but most are not train for all HD problems!.02$

------------------
01 GMC K 2500 HD D/A Xcab polo green loaded
JL audio bumper to bumper
luverne stainless nerf's
ispro egt and boost gauge
roll-n-lock cover

98 k-2500 6.5td 3.73,
3 inch exhaust&cross over
no cat!
jk boost control w/#13 chip
K&N
GM boost gage
Isspro EGT
TRADED IN.....on 2001hd

93-C2500 6.5td
3" exhaust
K&N
tweeked pump
boost control
170k with minor problems

Y2K honda CBR1100xx nutbike

a64pilot
12-30-2001, 08:54
Trucker,
Please let me know what your outcome is. I have what may be the same problem. On mine I always have a little fluid drop on the bottom of my filter. I have been watching it for fear of taking it in for the same reasons that you have.

Thanks,
Jody
a64pilot@hotmail.com

------------------
2001 C3500 LT Charcoal Grey
CC/Longbed Putco boss boards,
virtual grill,mudflaps,sill protectors Rhino liner,
bug deflector. Looking into Boost/EGT gague

Trucker Tex
12-30-2001, 10:57
pilot, if the fluid drops are only on the bottom of the filter, I'd guess the filter itself is the culprit. Have you ever changed transmission fluid and filter or otherwise checked to see if you have a good seal on the filter?

------------------
2002 GMC 2500HD D/A, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Pewter with Pewter SLT Leather, Westin Stainless Nerfs, Line-X Bed Liner, Fumoto Valve. Run GM Synthetic Diff, Chevron Delo 400, Amsoil air filter, Stanadyne Performance Formula and Allison/Castrol TranSynd.

a64pilot
12-30-2001, 12:20
Trucker,
Filter is tight. Putting a new one on tomorrow. It has leaked there from day one. I don't think it's a filter, Filter is just the lowest place. Tomorrow will tell for sure. Is there a way you can make GM replace your tranny with a new one? I didn't think you could. I like you don't want to replace my new tranny with a slight leak with an old rebuilt one that all the hard parts just barely meet rebuild criteria. I traded in a used truck for this one. I don't want used parts on my new truck if you know what I mean.

------------------

bearman
12-30-2001, 14:03
I have had 2 trany's replaced in mine and both were new, not REFURBISHED, just stand on top of them when they get it and make sure for yourself that they are new.
Cheers
Bear

------------------
Onyx Black 2001 Chev 2500 HD D/A combo, Viper command start, Lund racor back and visor, Outback stainless steel bushguard, KC Daylighter titanium offroad lights, Lund bug deflector, 265 X 85R16 Michlen tires, DeeZee stainless steel grill insert, full lenth Dee Zee running boards, Scorpian spray in box liner, Stainless Steel box caps, 1st one to install high idle, Rino frount and rear floor mats, Stainless steel rocker pannals, pulla 29 ft Scamper 5th wheel camper and an 18 foot Lund boat in tandem, Would post picks if I knew how, many more toys to come

Dinkie Diesel
12-30-2001, 16:48
I thought I remember reading a post, maybe by SteveO, that no matter what you want your going to get a tranny that says something like "Remanufactured", "Rebuilt" stamped on it even though it is brand new. ?????

------------------
74743.2745@compuserve.com
2001 K2500 Crew Cab LT Duramax / Allison 4x4

Kanuck
12-30-2001, 20:16
Hi Trucker Tex
The torque converter seal is servicable the front pump seal (at this time) is not. If it is the torque converter seal make sure
they follow the service proceedure or they will damage the front pump.
I hope this helps

Trucker Tex
12-31-2001, 17:08
Well, left her off at the dealership this morning. They probably won't get to a close up look till Wednesday. The service writer did tell me that they have had three leaky transmission issues so far, and that GM had replaced with a new, not re-worked transmission each time. Also indicated that they each looked like installation problems, not basic transmission problems. We'll see what happens, and I'll keep you posted.

------------------

BigAl
01-02-2002, 07:04
Trucker Tex,

If the Dealership determines the tranny needs replaced (cause there aren't a lot of things they have been trained to repair as yet!) you will get a transmission which is labeled (Remanufactured), but in fact it is a new tranny.

Eventually, transmission replacements will be accomplished with factory remanufactured units, but the first units out of the barrell have to be new factory built units cause there aren't any "cores" around to remanufacture.

Make sense? http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/smile.gif

a64pilot,

Don't intend to insult your intelligence, but is the fluid dripping from your filter red? I have seen a diesel fuel leak which manifested itself as a drip off the tranny oil filter. Most people can figure out if it's Dexron or diesel fuel (wrong color and smells funny).

a64pilot
01-03-2002, 15:53
BigAl,
Definately tranny fluid. Has seeped since day one. Put a new filter on yesterday, too cold here to check yet. Hasen't the Allison 1000 series been around for awhile? I thought they were only new to this truck, not a new tranny.

------------------

BigAl
01-04-2002, 07:47
a64pilot,

These trannys first went into Production in June, '99, and SOP for the HDs began in June/July, '00 for the 2001 Model Year........so they were only "out" for a year before hitting the HD Pickups. In fact, they were really only out for about 6-months due to the way Medium Duty vehicles are built and put into service.

In general, figure on a 6-month lag time between manufacture and in-service date on the Mediums. The Pickups run a lot quicker than that...........around 30-days. http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Trucker Tex
01-04-2002, 17:31
Well, guess what. Got truck back from dealer and found that they "couldn't reproduce the leak problem." They wiped off the bottom of the case, kept the truck for two days and drove it a total of 26 miles. Service manager said no evidence of a leak.

So I apparently have a transmission that only leaks on my garage floor and in the parking space where I work.

The dealer did agree to put some sort of tracing dye in the transmission fluid and asked me to drive it for a week or two and then come back. Supposed to have some kind of black light or something that they can trace the origin of any leak. If they find a source we will go from there.

Really aggravating because I am not imagining the leak. I've cleaned that spot on the garage floor half a dozen times and within two or three days there is always tranny fluid on the floor and several drops dripping from the bottom of the case.

Will keep you posted.

------------------

BOOMERHD
01-06-2002, 11:10
TEX,

I had the same problem, and I foundout that it was the seal to trans. oil pump that had to be replaced. Took them half a day. They also used the dye, but I understand that they have had a few with this problem in the past.

------------------
2001 2500HD D/A CC/SB LT
AMSOIL JUICES
AMSOIL AIR
1 PIECE SHAFT
JK HEADLIGHT KIT

Trucker Tex
11-29-2002, 20:52
Thought I'd give an update on my transmission issue since some had asked for one. Finally found time to take my truck back in for a closer look at my still slowly leaking transmission. This time went back to my purchasing dealer. They had previously recommended another dealer, James Woods in Denton, who they felt had more experience. Woods mechanics were the ones who couldn't seem to duplicate the problem.

Was really pleased with Ewing Pontiac/GMC in Plano. They pulled the transmission and did another dye test. Found small leaks around pump bolts. Replaced pump bolts and resealed convertor using copper crush washers. Also found small oil leak I didn't realize I had. Pulled flywheel and found small leak coming from around a bolt in the rear seal plate. The seal seemed okay. Replaced and re-torqued all bolts. Took this opportunity to go ahead and do my second fluid and filter change. I provided the filter and fluid and they were happy to replace at no charge. With convertor empty got all 12.7 quarts replaced with new Transynd so I am now 100%.

Service writer was very helpful. Not offended at all that I seemed to know as much about the problem as he did. Let me go back into the shop and talk directly with the transmission tech. Tech was also friendly and helpful. He called TAC, got specific info on the fix, and opened a case file for future reference if necessary. Let me inspect work before, during, and after.

Also got cracked windshield replaced with original GM glass while it was there.

So far so good. Couldn't be happier with the attitude and service approach at Ewing. Let's hope this does it. If not, I have a record established that will likely lead to a new tranny.

Trucker Tex
01-18-2003, 19:19
Well, guess what. About a week ago I shuddered to notice a couple of small spots on the garage floor just where previous leak had been. Spots have continued to grow, and upon closer look under the truck I find the leak is back full fledged, and even a little worse than before.

I am now officially weary of this s**t. I'm going to visit the dealer next week and we are going to discuss getting this right once and for all. This transmission performs flawlessly otherwise, but I'm about ready to try a new one if thats what it takes to solve this problem.

drgracr
01-18-2003, 21:17
Trucker Tex

there is a tsb for fluid leak at pump bolts. Just had mine in for the same problem. Make sure they put the copper washers on all pump bolts.

SteveO
01-19-2003, 18:12
drgracr,

Could you get me the TSB your referring to?

I'm unaware of a TSB to install Copper Washers on the Pump Bolts..

I know of another place to install Copper Washers, it's not around the Pump though..

Trucker Tex
01-20-2003, 20:13
SteveO, where do you install the copper crush washers if not on the pump bolts? I was shown the new style bolts and informed that the crush washers were installed on the backside.

SteveO
01-22-2003, 15:52
Trucker Tex,

Would you please send me your dealer's name, phone#, your name, VIN, repair order and any other info that might be helpful?

It seems we have some dealer's that may be misinformed...

One last Question, how many bolts did your dealer replace and or install Copper Washers on?

My E-MAil SOVERCASH1@AOL.COM

[ 01-22-2003: Message edited by: SteveO ]</p>

SteveO
01-23-2003, 11:14
Trucker Tex,

Still waiting...

Steve Overcash

Trucker Tex
01-23-2003, 20:36
SteveO,

Just e-mailed the details. Hope it comes across legible on spacing.

TT