PDA

View Full Version : Replacement shocks; advice?

DMAXDiva
05-16-2002, 07:33
Hey guys:

I'm looking to replace the stock shocks when the Ranch hand replacements are installed in two weeks. I'd sure appreciate any advice you all have as to shock type, brand, etc. I'm not nearly as concerned about cost as I am performance...
Any input?

Thanks!

JimWilson
05-16-2002, 07:43
Bilstein's seem to be good, but expensive, shocks. I think there's a version for the HD now. A less expensive shock that I've had fairly good luck with is the Rancho's. The 9000's are adjustable, which has benefited me on a number of occasions (I've had them on my last 2 trucks).

If you don't mind me asking... why are you changing your shocks on an 02? That seems kinda early.

SoCalDMAX
05-16-2002, 08:54
DMAXDiva,

The Bilstein's are excellent shocks. Based on what Kennedy and a lot of other well respected people have said, those are the shocks they run. They are actually cheaper than the next choice. They're about $50 or $51 ea. from shox.com. The only drawback is they are not adjustable. They do give a great ride and excellent control. The front shocks are avail now, rears come out in June or so based on the other Bilstein thread.

I bought the Rancho RS9000 shocks which are 5-way adjustable and can even be adjusted via control panel in the cab. They are more expensive at $65/ea but there's currently a buy 3 get 4th free deal until the end of the month. I have the front shocks set on 4 and the rear set on 2, as I go down the road, the ride is very controlled, supple and smooth and can be changed in less than a minute to softer or firmer to suit the conditions.

JimWilson,

The stock shocks on my 02 were even worse than my factory stereo, so I replaced them. I could go over a speed bump and not only get a sharp jolt, but then it would bottom out on the rebound. A member here said they are poorly designed with only compression damping, no rebound, IIRC. It's not that they're worn out but very poorly designed. The difference good shocks made for the ride is like night and day. I think my 33" D load range tires are soaking up the little road irregularities (noticed softer ride as soon as tires were installed) and the shocks are keeping the truck under control over the big dips, etc, so now this thing is (almost) the plushest vehicle I own. Definitely a smoother ride (unloaded) than I EVER expected from a truck. Of the 6 vehicles I've got, this is the one I think of for long road trips.

Regards, Steve

JimWilson
05-16-2002, 09:09
SoCalDMAX,

The Bilstein's are less expensive then Rancho's? Never thought I'd ever hear that, seeing as how Bilstein's are universally liked for there quality and performance they've always seemed to cost more.

I agree about the stereo; for the $$ this truck cost you think they could have spent a little more on the tunes...

SoCalDMAX
05-16-2002, 09:24
Jim,

Yeah, isn't that something! The last time I looked at buying shocks for an autocross car I thought Bilsteins were way too high, I just didn't know where to shop!

Regards, Steve

DMAXDiva
05-16-2002, 09:36
SoCalSteve:

Thanks for the clarification...my truck only has 4400 miles and already feels like it's bottoming out over bumps, and the lack of rebound damping makes her feel like a bucking bronc (a "busman's holiday" for me...no thanks!). Besides, having traded in a cushy Infiniti on this truck, I'd like to have some semblance of lux for highway runs.

Since the front-end replacement adds 300+ lbs, maybe I should go with the adjustables. Would I be better off running the Ranchos at a stiffer setting on the front all the time, or would it only be necessary off road?

Thanks for the input.

JimWilson
05-16-2002, 09:50
DMAXDiva;

Um, don't think you're ever going to get that rig to ride like an Infiniti, no matter what you do... ;)

You might want to experiment with the settings on the Rancho's. For my last 1/2 ton 3 for the front and rear worked best (unloaded). Depending upon what you haul, or how you want it to ride, you could even do 4/2. Personally, I like a firmer ride, so I keep the air in the tires up a bit too.

Fritz Schoch
05-16-2002, 10:11
I put Bilsteins on my 95 K2500 @ 50,000 miles after having major problems w/ Monroe(mounting brackets breaking off). Factory shocks made 10,000 before they were shot. Now have 180,000 on truck, 130,000 on Bilsteins. They are going to be replaced under warranty. Bislteins ride very nicely, control bumps better than any shock I have ever tried. Would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. I LUV EM'.
As a note - my truck gets some serious rough offroad oilfield roads-20,00 miles on the Bilsteins offroad.

DMAXDiva
05-16-2002, 10:12
JimWilson:

Yeah, I know...I do miss that car occasionally, but, I just could'nt figure out a way to install that dadgummed gooseneck hitch... :D

ChevysRus
05-16-2002, 11:12
For you radio buffs,I guess GM was listening....the 2003's all come with Bose Systems

Gotta be better than what I got in 2001!!!!

Regards,

JimWilson
05-16-2002, 11:41
Great, they finally put in a decent radio and then they make the truck ugly... :(

SoCalDMAX
05-16-2002, 13:01
DMAXDiva,

I've got my front set to 4 and I never go off road. The nice thing about it is, the range of damping is very wide from 1 to 5 and it only took a few short rides to get a feel for what I liked.

Now the truck rides as if the front and rear are balanced. If I ever actually tow anything, I can set the rear a little firmer to maintain ride and control.

Regards, Steve

DMAXDiva
05-16-2002, 13:20
Thanks for the input, guys. I just ordered a set of Rancho RS9000's...and what a deal at 4 for the price of three!

I'm still vascillating over whether or not to go full bore and order the cab-mounted controller...anyone have it? Any feedback?

JimWilson
05-16-2002, 14:53
DMAXDiva,

Unless you're going to be adjusting the shocks often the cab-mounted controller is probably not necessary.

mark45678
05-16-2002, 19:35
dmaxdiva.... set them nad forget them! unless your load changes day to day I would save the time and money. I have had rs 9000 in my truck for 10000 miles now and dont change the settings unless I tow. I have a set of stock shocks that have 4000 miles If your interested!its like being on a po-go stick they just bounce down the road!

SoCalDMAX
05-16-2002, 19:59
DMAXDiva,

I'm a pretty big gadget freak, and other than the "cool factor" I didn't see much use for the in-cab controller. I don't change the settings, so I'm glad I saved the money.

Regards, Steve

wangotango
05-16-2002, 20:01
And the Rancho's are adjusted how?

DmaxDiva--

Does the propeller actually help the truck go faster or is it just for better propulsion when in the water?

w/t

DMAXDiva
05-17-2002, 07:56
wangotango:

I'd like to say that the propeller is there purely for the cute factor (c'mon, I'm a girl afterall), but in reality it serves a very important function indeed. Yes, the prop is fully functional; I forged a tiny little titanium crank that mates up to the driveshaft (that was a booger, let me tell you!). So, whenever I have any trouble pulling our 25ft Mako out of the water at the boat launch, all I have to do is "flip that switch!" tongue.gif

wangotango
05-17-2002, 19:29
genius stuff

will help if you get a bigger boat too

(like the dmax isn't going to pull it out on it's own)

w/t

odoh
05-18-2002, 18:31
Who offers the best prices for the Rancho's? ~ odoh

odoh
05-19-2002, 14:30
In chkg the local shops, none list Ranchos for the 02 DuraMax. Say its too new. Anyone out there have p/n and source? TIA ~ odoh

JimWilson
05-20-2002, 07:07
wangotango;

There's a small rotary dial on the shock body. Just rotate it to the number you want to set the shock for.

DMAXDiva
05-20-2002, 09:40
odoh:

I ordered from Central 4WD (got their number off the internet on a "Rancho" search; 800-676-2325). There was no problem getting them for my '02, and those guys were great to deal with...I had made a call to a California company (can't remember the name), and their price was $1 less per schock, but the salesman was a total rectum, so I won't be giving them any money! I paid $74.95 per shock, and I probably could have saved a buck or two with someone else, but the shipping's free, there's no tax, and Central actually seemed to WANT my business...nuff said.

TLA
05-20-2002, 12:11
I just finished both ends on mine - RS 9274 for the rear/ RS9295 for the front. Got them from Summit Racing, but they were a special order.

DMAXDiva
05-20-2002, 13:14
Wow! I just got back from the post office and the Ranchos I ordered on Friday afternoon are already here, and shipping was free! Talk about customer service...those guys at Central 4WD are really great.

Yep, the part #'s are: RS9295 fronts, RS9274 rears. They're going on the truck today! :cool:

odoh
05-20-2002, 14:44
Thanks guys ~ Central is about 30miles down the road. This time they recognized the P/Ns. Thanks again ~ odoh

pullinpower
05-23-2002, 16:20
DMAXDIVa,how do you like your rancho's? I towed a forklift to baton rouge la.with my 30'gooseneck and had alot of "pogosticking" and wondering if I need to replace them,only have 30k on her. ;)

dmaxdiva,if your ever down here in these parts I sure would like to see your truck :D :D ;)

DMAXDiva
05-23-2002, 17:16
Hey there, Pullinpower:

The jury is still out on the new Ranchos...I haven't yet found the ideal setting for my needs. Right now front and rears are set at 3, but I'm thinkin' about going with 4 up front and 2 out back for awhile. The new Ranch hands go on next week, so that extra front-end weight should be taken care of. I cranked the torsion bars four turns on driver's, three on passenger's side the same day the shocks went on, so I'm sure that is impacting the ride harshness quite a bit. I'm certainly glad I opted for the swap, and I don't think you'd be disappointed either.

One of these days I'll get a digital camera and take a few pics of my little gal. Unfortunately, I don't get away from the ranch very often to do much travelling...after all, it's pretty tough to find someone who's willing to look after 800 head of cattle for a six pack of beer! ;)