PDA

View Full Version : Quick TAT on 1-piece Driveshaft!

DaveRuane
05-16-2002, 12:46
Wow, brought my '01 25ooHD CC, 496/allison in for warranty work. Noted the dreaded "launch shudder" on recent roadtrip, wanted the TCM updates for intermittent 2-1 shifts, and a window trim piece.

Dealer came back with - fixed (replaced window trim) ordered 1-piece prop shaft (driveshaft) to fix "launch shudder" and "rolling stop lurch" (I didn't specifically request the TCM update). Pick up truck expecting the driveshaft to take a long time to come in.

exactly one-day later, the service guy calls to inform me that the driveshaft is in and we schedule work for next day. Looks like tommorrow I get a one-piece driveshaft!

I was amazed by this TAT! Congrats GM! But, makes you wonder if GM is fixing this quickly to avoid something or if this has gotten to be so common they can respond quickly, or maybe still uncommon and there is a surplus of shafts available?

Any ideas on how to get the latest TCM update at same time as driveshaft. Do I ask for product# 15175857? or do they want to avoid these SW updates?

battmain
05-16-2002, 12:56
"I was amazed by this TAT! ...or maybe still uncommon and there is a surplus of shafts available?"

Just hope it doesn't get damaged in shipping or installation. :rolleyes:

"Any ideas on how to get the latest TCM update at same time as driveshaft. Do I ask for product# 15175857? or do they want to avoid these SW updates?"

Some dealers will avoid the updates unless you complain about the specific problem that the update fixes.

Colorado Kid
05-16-2002, 13:03
Dave,

You want to be all kinds of careful that they do the saft replacement properly. Get them to write on the work order "Do Not Cut Crossmember", cause more than one tech has made that mistake and you do not want the heartburn.

On the 2-1 shift I'd probably just play along...after you pick it up from the shaft replacement stop back by and tell them the lanch shudder is cured, but it still does the other thing, and they'll probably get it right. No use playing the "know-it-all" if you don't need to. Just my opinion, and worth what you paid for it.

mark45678
05-16-2002, 19:47
dave all the TCM updates have been good and you should not feel uneasy on haveing your done! even the PCM updates have for the most part been ok...... there was a few dmax updates in early 2001 that you wouldnt want,they took the power option out that you payed for!

DaveRuane
05-17-2002, 11:10
TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE...

Brought my truck in this morning to get the 1-piece driveshaft installed. They call 3.5 hours later to tell me that the parts department made an error when they said the shaft was in. It won't be in until next week at best. What a joke...

I take back everything I said about quick TAT, and am dissapointed that they couldn't figure this out prior to the inconvenience of bringing the truck in.