PDA

View Full Version : Reprogrammed Transmission

Norquist
05-16-2002, 13:11
Well, I did the 50 MPH,slammed it into 1st gear 3X's, then "drove it like I stole it" tip and it actually made a BIG difference. Quite frankly I was completely suprised.

Now the question is WHY????

What would make the transmission change and require one to do this to regain peformance?

AlaskaDmax
05-16-2002, 13:19
From what I understand this trans is like your wife.

After having you around for so long she gets use to you and becomes programmed to your way of living. She optimizes herself to be the most efficient wife she can be with all of your eccentricities. She is a good wife. She is the best wife. But, by slamming her into 1st at 55mph she turns back into the excited 16 year old girl that you met in highschool, she is fresh and young, no years of programming....but she IS going to learn all over again.

:D :D

JimWilson
05-16-2002, 14:57
AlaskaDmax,

Now that was an interesting description... :D

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: JimWilson ]</p>

hoot
05-16-2002, 15:42
Alaska,

You nailed it!

SoCalDMAX
05-16-2002, 20:22
AlaskaDmax,

ROTFLMAO!! That's a great analogy! :D :D

I'm still a newlywed, but whose wife was that you were talking about? Mine hasn't gotten "optimized" or "efficient" yet. How many miles do I have to put on her before I can expect her to start living with my eccentricities?

If all of this is true, I think I'll get in a lot of trouble slamming the better half into 1st at 50mph... I don't think she'll sit still for the 2nd or 3rd slamming at 50mph. Where's her darn shifter at anyways? I'd be happy to find the "tow/haul" button... or the "mute" button...

If she starts squawking about going to a counselor, I'll just tell her, "no I'll just slam you into fast learn mode at 50mph and you'll be just like a 16yr old." She'll have the butterfly net crew putting me into a straitjacket before I can say, "But honey, I read it on the internet!!"

If you could put all of this wisdom into a book, you'd make more than whoever wrote that "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" book. ;)

"How to Calibrate your Wife in 3 Easy Steps"

I can hear the feminists howling already! ;)

Regards, Steve

Norquist
05-17-2002, 07:47
WOW! Talk about AlaskaDmax putting it in laymans terms, something every man can can relate to.

Thanks alot. :D

Nels
05-17-2002, 08:44
Well, that analogy works for me. Speaking from the perspective of a man who just celebrated his 20th wedding anniversary this week, I had just cause to give this a try. It takes more than three steps though. Here's what you do:

1) clean the garage before work -- this puts her in a generally pleasant and receptive mood while you are at work.

2) Arrive home with roses in hand -- this is expected of you on your anniversary, but she is well pleased due to the earlier receptive mood.

3) After the flowers, hand her a sappy card with a serious 'love' message in it. This is also expected on an anniversary, but due to your earlier efforts, she is now softened up a bit more.

4) Inside the card, place a well thought out and emotional personal letter to her explaining your true feelings about her after she has put up with you for what is now half of your lifetimes. By now she has a tear in her eye.

5) Now that she has been properly prepared, reach in your pocket and produce a giftwrapped package containing a diamond ring. Not just any ring -- this is the diamond engagement ring you gave her 22 years ago. Several months ago she lost the stone out of this ring. You have previously taken it to the jewler to have a new gold crown and stone installed. She was not aware that it was missing from her jewlery box while it was out for repair. Now, because she has been properly primed, one look at the contents of the box causes her to burst into a flood of tears. She is now hugging you so tight that it is difficult to breath. You dun good!

The "performance results" are a private matter. Due to societal etiquette, it is probably better to compare the performance to an 18 year old, rather than the ealier mentioned 16 year old. Vince Lombardi once said that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I'm MUCH stronger now! :D

As always, your mileage may vary. Use this procedure at your own risk. It worked for me!

MudNurI
05-17-2002, 09:29
All I can say is LMFAO!

Though I am also glad to report that after 10 years, I'm still the
excited 16 year old girl that you met in highschool, she is fresh and young, no years of programming

so I don't think I need to be slammed into 1st. Now to be totally "dumb " here. Exactly what is your truck doing now that it wasn't doing then..I don't get it, my truck doesnt drive any different today than it did 5 months and 25,000 miles ago...what is this reprogramming suppose to do to it?

thanks
Brandy

JimWilson
05-17-2002, 09:31
Nels;

To me, it sounds like the "slap her into first at 50" would be a whole lot easier then your approach! :D

Norquist
05-17-2002, 10:01
I think what happens is so slowly over time you don't notice the "changes" there so suttle. Then when you do reprogram and WOW!

Kind of like in the "old days" when you used to put points, plugs, condenser, rotor in your vechicle then drive it what a difference but... you didn't notice the lost peformance over time cause it was so gradual.

Make sense???

sonofagun
05-17-2002, 13:29
Told Ya. Now do it once every 6 months or so. It continues to make a difference.

Bob

SoCalDMAX
05-17-2002, 15:31
Nels,

So you're saying your wife was so grateful, she unsuccessfully tried to kill you, but it only made you stronger? Well...OK, as long as you're both happy in the end... ;) I gotta admit, sounds like you're both very fortunate to have each other!

SOAG,

"Told Ya. Now do it once every 6 months or so. It continues to make a difference."

While I agree that Nels got great results, I don't think most of us can afford to do what Nels did every 6 months or so. Heck, cleaning the garage out is something I'm only willing to do every couple years. ;)

Brandy,

If you're gonna claim to be an excited 16yr old (I believe you 100%!) then we're gonna have to insist on photographic proof that your husband isn't breaking the law in some, if not all, states. ;)

Seriously, the tranny "learns" how you drive, and it seems fine 'cuz it is driving the way you normally do.

If you were to add more power, it might not shift as firmly as it should considering the torque passing thru it. So you can go into fast learn mode by shifting into 1st on a deserted street and it will now try to learn how you drive starting fresh.

Every time I add or remove some module, I have to do this to get it to handle the shifts properly. Takes only a minute or 2 and it then shifts firmly or smoothly based on how hard I'm driving.

If you add anything, especially the Juice, you'll really feel the truck wake up considering the big tires you're running. The truck will run harder than it did with the little tires on it.

Regards, Steve

jstbks
05-17-2002, 20:48
Nels,

Thanks for the great advice, my 20 year will be Tuesday. 18 year old huh? :D

konacat
05-18-2002, 11:49
May 12th was our 29th anniversary. I think my wife has stayed with me because I am an excellent shifter. Thank goodness I learned to double clutch and blip the throttle when I was young. As far as the Allison, I guess that I should give it a try. It's just against my nature to try to force something to happen too fast.