PDA

View Full Version : Help. WHite smoke on startup

tbyrd 63
10-02-2003, 08:54
I start up my Motor home and she blows lots of white smoke till I take off and run her a bit. Seems to happen at all temperatures now...What is up?....Joel It is a 1993 turbodiesel with new bosch plugs...

damork
10-02-2003, 09:23
A lot of questions come to mind, but white smoke is caused by many things. Fuel with low cetane, retarded timing, colder weather, etc. How old is your truck? Did it come on gradually? If it happened all at once, I would suspect your fuel quality or something like a weak injector. Does your engine run smooth or does it appear to have a rough idle, like one or a few cylinders contributing to the smoke. A bad glow plug controller could limit the current to your plugs, and may have bad contacts. New glow plugs may also be faulty, but rare.

If it has been coming on slowly, your timing could be getting retarded due to a stretched timing chain, your injectors could be getting plugged or not spraying like they should. There are a lot of items that feed into this.

In my experience timing, fuel quality, and a glow plug controller were problem areas.

tbyrd 63
10-02-2003, 12:38
Well, it has 60k miles and I belive it has come on suddenly. It idles rough initially but drive it 100 yds and it smooths out and does not occur again till the next cold start-up....

rustypig
10-02-2003, 16:08
I vote for the glow plug controller. Have you tried checking voltage delivered to the glow plugs?

tbyrd 63
10-02-2003, 16:57
I have not checked that. what is the proper procedure? I replaced them but I have no idea what to check as to determine if the controller is
bad...Joel