PDA

View Full Version : Turning Headlights Off

Robert J Spence
12-13-2002, 17:23
Is there any way to turn the fricken head lights off while the engine is running?

Tommy turbo
12-13-2002, 17:34
Simply push the dome lt override button three or four times in a row.

Captain Mal
12-13-2002, 17:34
Robert,

Press the 'Dome Override' button 4 or 5 times. It's right next to the headlight switch and makes a buzz/bell when it turns the headlights off.

'01 GMC 2500 D/A 4x4 ext. sb

mackin
12-13-2002, 17:44
Are they allowed that option up where they get FREE HAT'S and SHIRT'S with every delivery???? Canada has a stiff lights on policy....Let us know if it works.....

MAC :D

Robert J Spence
12-13-2002, 18:32
Just tried what you suggested and it does'nt turn them off. Any ideas?
2003 D-Max

Gasman1075
12-13-2002, 18:47
If it a 03 you should just turn your headlite knob to the left and that should kill all lites.

ccds
12-13-2002, 18:58
well in my 03 I have tried everything the book says and a couple of suggests more but those dam headlights will NOT go off, even when you turn the spring loaded switch to off. I am going to the dealer to see if he can make them turn off.

Maybe its a faulty switch...

smile.gif

AzKevin
12-13-2002, 19:01
I disabled my '01 running lights by pulling the 10 amp fuse. If I remember correctly it's the fuse box in the engine compartment.

bearman
12-13-2002, 19:14
The only way to turn off headlights in a Canadian truck thay I know of is turn the key to off, set park brake and restart
Cheers
Bear

mackin
12-13-2002, 19:24
See I think "bearman" has shown the "LIGHT" on this subject.....Canada had DRL way before the states ......Disabiling the main lights on also turns off DRL feature.....Which is against the law there.....

Here CT the law is dusk and or percipatation, fog included ,headlights must be on,no DRL law nation wide but laws very by state.....

MAC

zip
12-13-2002, 19:32
Bearman-
I went to your Picturetrail site and they've given ya the ax. I recently moved my pics to Webshots. It's free. see ya.

zip

BigRedDMaxx
12-14-2002, 13:03
Is there a way to prevent the headlights from coming on during engine start? Seems kind of dum to place that kind of additional load on the batteries.

wangotango
12-14-2002, 14:24
That load would be primarily on the voltage regulator/alternator.

What if a guy had one of those headlight harnesses that J.Kennedy offers? I have not seen the wiring digrams but there may be a way to offer some switching if you are altering the lighting.

w/t

letsgo
12-14-2002, 18:55
Robert

Only in Canada, pity!

The dome overide button to turn the head lights off, does not work in Canada as in the states, must have to do with MOT.

good luck

[ 12-14-2002: Message edited by: letsgo ]</p>

Maverick
12-15-2002, 07:16
BigRedDmax,
You can prevent the lights coming on during start up if you depress the parking brake before you ever turn the key the first time. Work the same in a US truck also. Just like Bearman said.

Idle_Chatter
12-15-2002, 08:34
Maverick has it right on the "dark start," just step on the parking brake and you can cold crank without the load of the lights. I found out sort of by accident (on a road at 50 mph at night :eek: ) that I can turn off my lights in my 2001 by just hitting the dome override button a couple of times. The lights stay off until the manual switch is rotated up out of the "auto" position and can be controlled by the manual switch until the next shutdown. This was a useful find as I work at nuclear power plants and the guard gates request "lights off" when approaching at night. Don't know about later model years or Canadian trucks. :confused:

[ 12-15-2002: Message edited by: Idle_Chatter ]</p>

BigRedDMaxx
12-15-2002, 10:48
Maverick,
Thanks for the info, I guess this shows how much I use the parking brake.

FreddyChevy
12-17-2002, 11:56
I have been wondering the same thing. I have a '02 2500HD and the dealer told me about the dome override button and the parking brake but how about disabeing the auto light all the time? I haven't got the wiring diagrams for the truck but maybe there is someting that could be done with the light sensor on the dash maye that could be unpluged? Not sure here it may set a code but maybe not haven't tried it yet was wondering if anyone else has tried this yet. Just a thaught since i don't like the auto lights either.
Good luck.

Silver Bullet
12-17-2002, 14:18
I installed the Automatic Headlight Override from R&D (www.truckautoaccessories.com)...I am in complete control of my lights! :D I am also running the Foglight Controller which turns on my fogs automatically when I turn on my headlights.

thechevyhdman
12-17-2002, 14:55
My Buddy figured out how to disable automatic headlights on 01,and 02 trucks dont know what It means maybe someone with a Helms book could tell. I have BCM A-11 or Headlamp relay wire E8/C1 terminal 85? Its jibberish to me maybe someone knows.

Burner
12-17-2002, 19:58
Idle_chatter

As you have found out, hitting the dome button 4 times will turn off the "auto" lights. However, you will find out that pressing the same button another 4 times will return the lights to their auto function. 4x=off thus 4x=on :D
I know this as I also have an 01 3/4 ton.

Burner~~~~~

AzKevin
12-17-2002, 20:13
Silver Bullet has the hot ticket!

GM rammed that "persistent funeral procession" feature down our throats. Probably next will be the optional safety feature of a bumper sticker stating "my lights are on for safety." :eek:

Idle_Chatter
12-17-2002, 20:19
Well, Burner, it sure didn't seem like 4 times, more like twice (unless that counts as 4 switch "strokes")! As I said, I was on a two-lane road late at night and *poof* out go the lights! I did hit the dome override a couple of more times trying to get them back on, then I went to the big rotary switch and relit 'em. Thank goodness it was a straight stretch! :eek:

Kennedy
12-17-2002, 22:26
Since this is controlled in the BCM (body control module) I wonder if it is a programmable thing like we could program a US code into it???

Maverick
12-18-2002, 00:48
Kennedy,
Tried that with my dealer. My 2500HD is a Canadian switched to US truck. Told me it was impossible. Couldn't explain why though. Go figure.

Mudflap
12-18-2002, 00:59
Canadian law requires the lights to be on at half power at all times. GM incorporated the feature in the US trucks so they could just have one IP in inventory instead of separate units for the US and Canada. The US trucks were given the ability to turn the lights off with the dome override switch (push it four times), but that only works until you turn the key off then it resets. The doem override switch only works with trucks 01 and above.

Lawnboy
12-18-2002, 23:43
Whats SO bad about having OTHER people See YOU BETTER?

This is a positive SAFETY feature. I am in a habit of turning mine on ALL THE TIME. Sure would be nice to have the truck take care of that for me.

Canada has had this for YEARS. I think they should make it a law in the states as well.

Way to many nutso drivers out there. Helping those nutso drivers SEE you BETTER is a GOOD thing in my mind.

Just my thoughts.

DmaxMaverick
12-19-2002, 03:22
Gotta agree with Lawnboy here. You can't see that your lights are on/off in daylight while you are driving, but others can. It's a fact that DRL's or daytime headlights reduce traffic collisions, according to the survey areas. Even if 1/10th of 1% is prevented. That % may be me or one of mine.

On another note. Having the fog lights come on automatically with the headlights is illegal in every state that I'm aware of. They are FOG lights, not driving lights. Driving with fog lights when there is no fog, is also illegal. Same goes with driving lights. Very annoying, to me. On more than one occasion, I've "high beamed" oncoming vehicles with fog/driving lights on. The KD headlight upgrade is ruthless.

Just like helmets, seat belts, speed laws, etc. This issue will always be an issue. Whether a person can justify it with reason, or just rebelion.

I fail to understand the logic of many things people do to their vehicles. A good looking vehicle is appealing. For me, form follows function.

AzKevin
12-19-2002, 09:56
I don't ever recall having a problem with running into cars when their lights were off; therefore, I have problems buying into this whole lights on safety idea.

What annoys me is having to disable the safety lights or the fog lights everytime I start the engine. GM adds a cool automatic light enable/disable feature and dummys up the fog/running lights. Go figure.

[ 12-19-2002: Message edited by: AzKevin ]</p>

GBurton
12-19-2002, 10:02
DmaxMaverick said
"On another note. Having the fog lights come on automatically with the headlights is illegal in every state that I'm aware of. They are FOG lights, not driving lights. Driving with fog lights when there is no fog, is also illegal. Same goes with driving lights. Very annoying, to me. On more than one occasion, I've "high beamed" oncoming vehicles with fog/driving lights on. The KD headlight upgrade is ruthless."

I disagree with you concerning the legal use of fog or driving lights here in California. Here is the appropriate link to the California DMV code concerning lights: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd12c2a2.htm

As you can see (no pun intended) there is nothing in the DMV code that requires you to only use fog light (22403) in the fog. The same goes for Auxiliary Driving and Passing Lamps (22404). There is a restriction concerning the number of lamps (24405) that may be lighted at one time. Now there are several items that need to be addressed by a lot of drivers but the main point and I am sure that you will agree, is the comment in 22407 "On a straight level road under any condition of loading none of the high intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an approaching driver". While that section applies to high/low beam operation you find a very interesting requirement in section 24403 concerning the aiming requirement for fog lights. "and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes" I have been blinded by many a yellow fog light that is NOT aimed properly. So while there are aiming restrictions, there are no California DMV restrictions on when you can use fog lights.

George