PDA

View Full Version : Oil Lines Replaced but not coverd under warranty

EscaladeDiesel
12-31-2003, 11:49
Hello and Happy New Year to ALL!!!

In my continuing saga with my vehicle I began going through my records. In 9-27-01 the oil lines were replaced FP# 15158540 and 15158542. Do those part numbers include the failure prone connectors? If not shouldn't those connectors been replaced at that time? Should these lines been covered by the 5/100 warranty? I was charged $206.76 parts and labor. I ask as I am trying to see if I can build a case for my NOW out of warranty vehicle that had an engine failure 2 years and less than 5000 miles later. To add insult to injury the vehicle was brought into the dealership for a no-start issue they diagnosed as a seized engine by some unseasoned mechanic, as the lead diesel mechanic was on vacation for three weeks. After the lead mechanics return a month later, and with a new engine sitting ready to be installed, they informed that it was just a spacer in the battery cable. At the time I was dealing with a terminal illness in my family and was not able to adequately deal with the situation and talk to the powers-at-be. I am thinking that if I can show the lines were not properly replaced etc that this wouldn't have happened, and as a result GM need to take responsibility if indeed things were not repaired properly, and as a result I am not covered by any warranty.

JohnC
01-01-2004, 08:58
I don't think it's fair to categorize the connectors as "failure prone". While there is considerable evidence to suggest the lines are failure prone, I'm only aware of two complaints about the connectors. When I replaced my lines I replaced the connectors also, inadvertantly, as it was the only way to get the O-rings without disassembling things first. I had to be sure I could complete the job in one sitting. I have since inspected the connectors I removed (110K miles) and can find no reason not to reuse them.

That said, I think you do have a good case if the lines were replaced 5000 miles prior to failure, but I'd lean more toward the connector being damaged by improper technique.

tom.mcinerney
01-01-2004, 18:45
When removing the SS spring clips that release the oil lines, the clips are somewhat deformed. If reinstalled without first reforming the retaining bend the clip won't be as secure.
The part numbers vary by year(i think).