PDA

View Full Version : A/C condensate drains to interior

F150owner
05-17-2002, 21:48
Hey everyone,

been a while since I posted, but I recently learned (due a strong mildew odor) that my pad underneath the carpet in my CC HD was saturated with water. To let things dry out, I took out the rear seats, pulled the carpet up to let air dry, and pulled the carpet up in the front to let the pad air dry. I applied fans for two days in my garage.

At the time I had no idea where the water had come from. Was it a leaky seal? Did someone (wife) leave the windows down and me not know about it? Anyway, the pad finally dried out and I'm about to put the carpet down, seats back in and trim back in when I noticed the front passenger area pad is wet, again.

A quick check showed that water was flowing down to under the carpet via the air ducts under the carpet. This was confirmed with the A/C on. I then noticed that I was not getting any drainage from the A/C condensation overflow through the firewall. It does not appear to be clogged. I took the cover off the bottom of the air filter area and checked the air filters. Both are dry as a bone.

I imagine this may be a bear to get fixed. Has anyone got an idea about the complexity of locating an A/C water leak like this?

thanks

Idle_Chatter
05-17-2002, 22:14
I had that same problem with a Nissan Pathfinder that I used to own (my last gas-powered vehicle, been nuttin' but diesel since May '98). It was a real problem in Florida where the a/c was a 24/7 operation. It was so bad that when I made a left turn water would literally *pour* out from under the dash onto the passenger floor. I had it to an a/c shop twice and they checked the collection pan and ran a wire down the hose with no effect. Third time, they put air pressure on the drain and popped out a hairball. Problem solved. The drain is probably blocked. Have an a/c specialty shop check it out. Hint: no-scent/low-scent Lysol spray will kill the mildew and musty smell in the carpet and pad. tongue.gif

YZF1R
05-18-2002, 11:04
Try asking your dealer. I remember this came up some time ago. I believe there was a service bulliten or something about it. Should be fixed for free.

Steve