PDA

View Full Version : More Trivia,brakes-steering

Paintdude
12-15-2002, 14:51
I seen Rob todayone of our members and he showed me what his truck and mine do and I am betting everyones elses does...

While your truck is running(idoling),setting still,Put your foot on the brakes and try and turn the steering wheel to full lock one way or the other..Then ask yourself why it WON'T do it.......

No real big deal becuse you never really turn with the brakes on anyway, but in a slide you might want to..

It has something to do with hydro boost and the power steering al running off of the pump, but I do not know why it does this..

Just try it and tell us what you think...

It was great meeting you Robert.. smile.gif

Idle_Chatter
12-15-2002, 19:55
Hmmmm, verrry interesting. I'm guessing, but I suspect that when you are idling and trying to brake and turn at the same time, you are probably reaching a maximum pressure value on the PS pump and it is opening a relief valve and bypassing. Holding brakes and turning (scrubbing) locked stationary tires is probably at or above the system safe pressure. As you know if you've ever driven a non-power steering system, even a little bit of roll dramatically reduces the effort to turn the wheels, so I don't think that any skid or rolling condition would be a problem.

Paintdude
12-15-2002, 21:13
I forgot to say rpm makes no difference.....He told me to rev the engine and try it, so I did and it was the same thing..If brakes are applied no turning when setting still..Maybe the antilock would come to play at speed..

Just try it, I was amazed..I cannot explain it.. :confused: